Movies you wish you could have seen in theaters when they were first released

August4th

35 minutes ago, August4th said:

for me

The Thing

Jurassic Park

T2

Friday

the exorcist(mainly for the crowd reaction)

Jurassic Park was definitely one that would have blown your mind in the theater. Especially as a child. First time I saw Jurassic Park and saw that Brontosaurus leap back on its hind legs was one of the few times I ever experienced the term "movie magic".

I cant think of any movies that I would love to see in theaters. Maybe culture icon movies from the olden days like Gone With The Wind, or Ben-Hur, or something else like that. 

The original Star Wars trilogy.  I was so thankful to be able to see them during their re-releases when Lucas added some CGI shots.  Great experience.

The Thing.  Obviously.  If I had been able to see this movie during its initial release, I would have raised all kinds of hell telling people how stupid they were for panning this all time classic.  I frequently say that I would LITERALLY pay 10,000 dollars to be able to see this movie for the first time again. 

Jurassic Park.  I was 5 years old when this movie was released.  I vividly remember watching TV just to try to see a TV spot for it.  My mom was very strict and would not let me watch PG-13 movies until she watched them first and she never got around to going to it in theaters in spite of me asking to see it every single day.  I still give her grief about it. 

The Wizard of Oz.  This movie did for color film what Avatar did for CGI.  It would have been amazing to see something that major during its initial release. 

The Innocents.  Still one of the very best (and most underrated) horror movies ever made. 

Predator.  The scene of them mowing down the forest would be worth the price of admission alone. 

• Like 1

I was born in 1970, so I've seen a lot of the movies listed above in the theaters.

I agree with The Wizard of Oz.  Seeing the first scene when she walks out of the house into color would have been amazing.  I wish I had been old enough to see Halloween on the big screen.  Didn't see it until my early teens on VHS

I didn't get to catch Jurassic Park in the theater, but when I did see it for the first time it scared the life out of me. I was around eight, and my family was having a Christmas party where somebody gave us the VHS, and I wanted to watch it so bad I begged my parents to let me go over to the church next door and watch it there (my dad was the pastor so me being in  the church by myself wasn't a big deal) so I didn't interrupt the party. Being eight alone in a dark creepy church might have been an even better way to view that than the theater. At least in the church there was no one there to see me nearly soil myself during the raptors-in-the-kitchen scene.