The Totally Transcendent Teddy Thread

Heimdallr

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

The only thing I can think about all of this is that they must not have been convinced that his knee would hold up.  Otherwise, I don't see why they would just let a guy like that go and then make such a huge investment in Cousins. 

Also, I originally thought he was being paid a guaranteed salary of $5M/year with the Jets, but it sounds like it's actually only $500,000 guaranteed.  When you consider that Bradford, whose knee will only get worse, is getting $20/M to play in Arizona this year, Teddy must still have a ways to go before proving that he has recovered from his injury.  There sure isn't that much difference in their play and future potential otherwise.

I think what you are seeing is a difference in approaches by the Vikings and Jets: the Vikings are motivated to win now, while the Jets realize they are still a ways off.  Thus, by signing Teddy, they are gambling that he may continue to recover to the point where is a pretty decent player, and at least a decent back-up to whomever they draft in the upcoming weeks.  In contrast, the Vikings didn't want to wait that long, and thus have 3 healthy QB's on their roster for a deep playoff push (we hope lol).

6 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Zimmer confirmed that medical reports weren't as positive as he was and that more recovery was needed.

Addressing media at the NFL owners meeting, Zimmer said Bridgewater appeared to be progressing when he returned to practice in October, enough for the head coach to have the quarterback back up starter Case Keenum the final eight weeks of the 2017 season.

However, postseason reports from the Vikings medical staff belied Zimmer’s optimism.

“I thought he was doing good in practice,” Zimmer said. “The reports I’d get back from the medical people weren’t as positive as I was. That’s kind of how it came down was that his knee wasn’t … he still had some recovery to do. When I watched him in practice he moved well. I didn’t see limitations, but from what I was told there were some.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/03/27/mike-zimmer-on-teddy-bridgewaters-knee-vikings-doctors-saw-a-problem/

On 3/31/2018 at 4:59 PM, SteelKing728 said:

If Siemian walks after this year, I hope Minnesota goes after Bridgewater as backup.

I hope Teddy does well enough this year to where he can look at going somewhere to be a starter in 2019. 

5 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

I hope Teddy does well enough this year to where he can look at going somewhere to be a starter in 2019. 

4 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

I don't think Minny will ever look to re add Teddy to the roster.

That would be great for him!

Why not? We had clear interest in re-signing him.

14 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Agreed. I don't understand why the team wouldn't have interest. They said they were interested in bringing him back. He simply found a better offer. I can't believe the Vikings will hold that against him. The fans in MN love Teddy. Teddy did nothing to burn bridges within the organization while going through trying times.

17 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Agreed. I don't understand why the team wouldn't have interest. They said they were interested in bringing him back. He simply found a better offer. I can't believe the Vikings will hold that against him. The fans in MN love Teddy. Teddy did nothing to burn bridges within the organization while going through trying times.

But for this reason is specifically why I don't think Minny would consider him in a backup role... Unless it's for a huge discount.

Too many memories & too many fans will be calling for him to start (even if not warned like warranted).

Ban aid was pulled off, I don't think we take him over a comparable option.

5 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

That would be great for him!

Not any time soon now. If he has an average career around year 8-9... I could see “if Zimmer is around” they may bring him as a backup behind Cousins.

3 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Not any time soon now. If he has an average career around year 8-9... I could see “if Zimmer is around” they may bring him as a backup behind Cousins.

He'll be available after this upcoming season. All it takes is one season for a player's value to dramatically increase. All it takes is one season for things to change.

If he doesn't get a chance to show he is healthy for the Jets this year, it would make a ton of sense for him to come back here. Obviously he would have to come cheap, but if he doesn't play or plays poorly for the Jets this year it's hard to imagine him getting another legitimate shot anywhere. If that's the case it would make the most sense for both sides for him to come back to where the coaching and medical staffs know him well. He is a great locker room guy, and I'd like to think that fans would be smart enough to not call for the benching of our $28 million a year QB every time he throws a pick. If the price is right and it's clear he's not getting another starting job somewhere I think it makes a lot of sense.

Archived