Alex Smith had the highest completion % on play-action passes in 2017

turtle28

And can we please stop with the Kirk Cousins stuff? You can trash Alex Smith all you want to prop up Kirk but that dude is a choke artist. He doesn’t suck, he’s a good QB and he turned out really well for a fourth rounder but good lord he comes up small in big situations. 

One conclusion from this discussion is that we have a segment of Redskins fans on this Forum who use critical thinking and analysis instead of simply being a totally supportive

9b00cbf52c96f8e86f41cd690129d3fa.jpg

they are just as hopeful and want the Redskins to be successful on the field as some others. 

Then there is a segment who support every move the team makes

minnesota-gopher-chicks-take-selfies-dur

And that’s ok too

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yup. I seriously cannot understand why more people do not understand this.

Since wins are a team stat, the only ones judged by it should be those who have purview over the entire team. As such, only:

Head Coaches

GMs

Owners

...should be judged by wins.

My friend, you must find yourself in some pretty heated debates when you tell folks that Tom Brady is, at best, the 3rd best QB of his era (behind Rodgers and Manning). And that you could make a reasonable case for Brees and Romo over him in the top 5 as well. 

I mean sure, he’s led his team to more championships than the rest of them combined. But winning is just a team stat, and the other guys have comparable (or greater) career statistical profiles, so he needs to step back in line where he belongs. Right?

There once was a time. When our new starting qb. Had his starting job took by a guy that ended up benched behind Blaine Gabbert.

I appreciate turtle trying to toss up positive stats and all. But no stat in the world can make me feel better. Freakin Blaine Gabbert.

9 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yup. I seriously cannot understand why more people do not understand this.

Since wins are a team stat

I think everyone does indeed understand this. 

I like to throw it in because it later shines light on who really is ready and willing to be fair to Alex.. and who is not. 

For example, the same people that scoff at Alex's team wins... would probably talk glowingly of some team stat of some other player that they do like. 

Even if a fan speaks glowingly of a team stat for any of his players... is it really that necessary to criticize and defend against a player on your team? If a fan points out that their team's starting QB was good in play-action, is it really necessary to find a crease in this encouraging notion? 

Apparently, in this case.. it is. That's a real shame. Could have been a fun season for Redskins football here. 

14 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

KC had a bottom 5 overall defense in the league last year by pretty much any and every metric.

Fine. Doesn't change the fact that the Chiefs offense was light years ahead of the Redskins last year in terms of talent.

59 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Fine. Doesn't change the fact that the Chiefs offense was light years ahead of the Redskins last year in terms of talent.

I’m focused on this year. We are just as talented if everyone remains healthy. 

9 hours ago, e16bball said:

My friend, you must find yourself in some pretty heated debates when you tell folks that Tom Brady is, at best, the 3rd best QB of his era (behind Rodgers and Manning). And that you could make a reasonable case for Brees and Romo over him in the top 5 as well. 

I mean sure, he’s led his team to more championships than the rest of them combined. But winning is just a team stat, and the other guys have comparable (or greater) career statistical profiles, so he needs to step back in line where he belongs. Right?

Taking this a step further:

QB 1: 62.0% Completion, 4.6% TD%, 3.3% INT%, 7.1 Y/A, 6.6 Adjusted Y/A, 11.5 Y/C, 229.6 Y/G, 6.31 NY/A, 5.81 ANY/A

QB 2: 59.8% Completion, 4.6% TD%, 3.1% INT%, 7.0 Y/A, 6.5 Adjusted Y/A, 11.7 Y/C, 239.3 Y/G, 6.35 NY/A, 5.90 ANY/A

QB2 is a likely future HOFer.  QB1 is Jay Cutler.

31 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

I’m focused on this year. We are just as talented if everyone remains healthy. 

Every year. My LSU squad has as much talent as anyone in the nation. We should be able to compete with anyone..

Same as the Redskins. Coaching and management. We have a coach thats 28-35.  Which after losing the OC that went on to become coach of the year, took 2 extra losses over the previous 2 years.

Just now, PARROTHEAD said:

Same as the Redskins. Coaching and management. We have a coach thats 28-35.  Which after losing the OC that went on to become coach of the year, took 2 extra losses over the previous 2 years.

You don't think being the most injured team in the league last year had anything to do with that? 

Guess who the least injured team was... that's right, the Rams.  They were the least injured team in 2016 as well, in case you somehow try to chalk up last year to McVay's influence.

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

I think everyone does indeed understand this. 

I like to throw it in because it later shines light on who really is ready and willing to be fair to Alex.. and who is not. 

For example, the same people that scoff at Alex's team wins... would probably talk glowingly of some team stat of some other player that they do like

Even if a fan speaks glowingly of a team stat for any of his players... is it really that necessary to criticize and defend against a player on your team? If a fan points out that their team's starting QB was good in play-action, is it really necessary to find a crease in this encouraging notion? 

Apparently, in this case.. it is. That's a real shame. Could have been a fun season for Redskins football here. 

the same people that scoff at Alex's team wins... would probably talk glowingly of some team stat of some other player that they do like.”

yeah , what’s your point? The rah rah hey were going to win SB with Smith are better fans? 

Even if a fan speaks glowingly of a team stat for any of his players... is it really that necessary to criticize and defend against a player on your team?”

85765f846b8ff933c0f19ac97e568bcd.jpg

1 minute ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

You don't think being the most injured team in the league last year had anything to do with that? 

Guess who the least injured team was... that's right, the Rams.  They were the least injured team in 2016 as well, in case you somehow try to chalk up last year to McVay's influence.

He took a team from 4-12 to 11-5. You think as our OC he didnt help win?

Gruden has had 4 years. And has adv 8.75 losses per year. That means under .500 for wins.

And I put alot of the injuries on coaching and the staff for not having the players in the shape or preparedness they should be. Anyone who has been to Richmond and seen them have guest like the Patriots a couple years back. Knows the Pats practice on a whole different level. Redskin players wondering around talking, Pats were all about business.

2 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

He took a team from 4-12 to 11-5. You think as our OC he didnt help win?

No, I never said that.  But context matters.  Gruden definitely wins more than 7 games last year if we would have had the least injured team in the league.

2 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

And I put alot of the injuries on coaching and the staff for not having the players in the shape or preparedness they should be. Anyone who has been to Richmond and seen them have guest like the Patriots a couple years back. Knows the Pats practice on a whole different level. Redskin players wondering around talking, Pats were all about business.

Did you watch the 2016 Hard Knocks with the Rams?  They were even more soft and lackadaisical than the Redskins in Training Camp under Jeff Fisher.  He wouldn't even let any of his defensive players touch Gurley.  They still finished as the least injured team in the league.

10 hours ago, e16bball said:

Snark aside, you are kinda correct. While I can definitely make a case for who is the better QB in terms of their play on the field, I don't use W/L as a measuring stick for any individual player. 

A QB could play very well and have their defense or Special Teams crap the bed and the result is a loss. Redskins/Cowboys game in November 2016 comes to mind.

More recently, the Saints/Vikings playoff game. Brees took a loss there from people who judge base on W/L records. But if Lattimore wraps up Diggs, he gets the W. Conversely, Case didnt look very good at all in the game and gets the win. Is Case a better QB than Brees because of the W? Was he the best QB on the field that day? No, to both questions.

QBs dont rush the passer. Or cover a receiver. Or kick FGs. Or any of the other things the QB isnt responsible for...

So no. I evaluate the QBs via other metrics/means. W/L record is a team stat. So for me, I only judge HC, GM amd owners by it.

1 hour ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Taking this a step further:

QB 1: 62.0% Completion, 4.6% TD%, 3.3% INT%, 7.1 Y/A, 6.6 Adjusted Y/A, 11.5 Y/C, 229.6 Y/G, 6.31 NY/A, 5.81 ANY/A

QB 2: 59.8% Completion, 4.6% TD%, 3.1% INT%, 7.0 Y/A, 6.5 Adjusted Y/A, 11.7 Y/C, 239.3 Y/G, 6.35 NY/A, 5.90 ANY/A

QB2 is a likely future HOFer.  QB1 is Jay Cutler.

Which is also why your evaluation of any player shouldn't strictly focus on stats.

Archived