Alex Smith had the highest completion % on play-action passes in 2017

turtle28

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

The good thing is we’ll let them build a rapport and then not re-sign Jamison Crowder so we can continue our new found dominance of compensation picks. 

Time will tell, if true.. or if it turns out to be the wise decision. 

Like so many of these cap decisions, it all comes down to many factors, yes? Cap cost, guarantees, whether a player brings enough to the team to warrant that desired size of contract... whether a player even wants to stay or prefers to chase FA dollars.. or if there is a younger player at the position they feel can do the same job at cheaper cost. 

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

The good thing is we’ll let them build a rapport and then not re-sign Jamison Crowder so we can continue our new found dominance of compensation picks. 

I just have to lol. For a decade plus this forum and most of Redskins Nation has cried about never having comp picks because we signed too many FAs. This offseason the Redskins FO let 4 players go who got overpaid by other teams as FAs so, we will get comp picks back in next years draft and we’re complaining still. 

Please make up your mind.

As far as Crowder goes, that’s a TBD scenario.

1. Crowder must hold onto the ball this season, unlike last season. I hope they find someone else to return punts bc we can’t have 5 fumbles from our punt returner with I believe 3 of of them being a factor in losses.

• Crowder should still remain a 65-70 recs, 12-13 ypc, 790-850 yds, and 3 plus TD guy. Preferably, I'd like to see Crowder not drop two possible TDs again in 2018 and not have Smith over throw him for a likely TD, like Kirk did in the opening week last year vs Philadelphia.

2. Whether Crowder is back or not will be determined by how Crowder plays and his market.

* Scherff needs to be re-signed - he’s the most important pending FA from the 2015 class.

* Then, depending on what Preston Smith does, the FO/Gruden need to determine if it makes sense to re-sign Smith or let him go via FA and draft another OLB high while getting a 2020 3rd round comp pick for PSmith.

If Smith gets 8 sacks again or more and makes more game changing plays like he did in 2015 and 2017, the Redskins should do all they can to retain him just like they will with Scherff. The question will be, is there going to be enough $ to re-sign all 3 and what will the market be for Crowder and Smith if they both have good to great years.

So, that’s a long way of saying TBD.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I just have to lol. For a decade plus this forum and most of Redskins Nation has cried about never having comp picks because we signed too many FAs. This offseason the Redskins FO let 4 players go who got overpaid by other teams as FAs so, we will get comp picks back in next years draft and we’re complaining still. 

Please make up your mind.

As far as Crowder goes, that’s a TBD scenario.

1. Crowder must hold onto the ball this season, unlike last season. I hope they find someone else to return punts bc we can’t have 5 fumbles from our punt returner with I believe 3 of of them being a factor in losses.

• Crowder should still remain a 65-70 recs, 12 ypc, 790-850 yd, and 3 plus TD guy. Preferably I'd like to see Crowder not drop two possible TDs again in 2018 and not have Smith over throw him for a likely TD, like Kirk did in opening week last year vs Phil’s.

2. Whether Crowder is back or not will be determined by how Crowder plays and his market.

Scherff needs to be re-signed - he’s the most important pending FA from the 2015 class. Then, depending on what Preston Smith does, the FO/Gruden need to determine if it makes sense to re-sign Smith or let him go via FA and draft another OLB high while getting a 2020 3rd round comp pick for PSmith.

If Smith gets 10 sacks or near it again and makes other game changing plays like he did in 2015 and 2017, the Redskins should do all they can to retain him just like they will with Scherff. The question will be, is there going to be enough $ to re-sign all 3 and what will the market be for Crowder and Smith is they both have good to greet years.

So, that’s a long way of saying TBD.

You are literally the king of flip flopping on this forum so you should chill with that crap. 

What the Redskins front office did this off-season should get any GM in the league fired and banished from ever running a football team again. Literally nobody lets a good QB in their prime walk away while touting the third round compensation pick they will receive in return as some kind of boon. This team is run by a buffoon and if you want to celebrate it then do so but the reality is we had to give up a third round draft choice and arguably our best young defender to make up for their giant blunder.  So yes, I fully expect these dummies to wait until Smith or Crowder has a breakout season which will be this year and then run around like a chicken with it's head cut off because they can't pay them and have no way of replacing them. 

17 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

You are literally the king of flip flopping on this forum so you should chill with that crap. 

What the Redskins front office did this off-season should get any GM in the league fired and banished from ever running a football team again. Literally nobody lets a good QB in their prime walk away while touting the third round compensation pick they will receive in return as some kind of boon. This team is run by a buffoon and if you want to celebrate it then do so but the reality is we had to give up a third round draft choice and arguably our best young defender to make up for their giant blunder.  So yes, I fully expect these dummies to wait until Smith or Crowder has a breakout season which will be this year and then run around like a chicken with it's head cut off because they can't pay them and have no way of replacing them. 

So, it’s not true that this forum and most Redskins nation has cried about never having comp picks for the last decade plus? 

I think we both know the answer to that, without you putting in a personal dig.

You’re assuming that Kirk Cousins wanted to re-sign, which was never clear, and your eyes assuming that Dan Snyder was willing to pay Kirk what the Vikings did, which also seemed to not be the case. On top of that, you yourself had claimed for two years that:

1. Kirk wasn’t not worth the money; and

2. They should have traded Kirk instead of franchising him or traded him after they franchised him to recoup draft picks. (Like McCoughan wanted to do in March of 2016)

As for Crowder and Smith, if I’m them, I don’t sign a long term deal right now, I wait. The deal they’d sign now will probably be available from the Redskins or another team next offseason - even if they’re only average this year - and if they have two good to great seasons the Redskins or someone else is going to give them a huge deal.

It takes two to tango.

I’ve never assumed Kirk wanted to re-sign. I’ve said numerous times he didn’t want to play here and he needed to be dealt away but all I got in return is how I hated Kirk and couldn’t get over RG3. I said time and time again he’d just walk away for nothing if you don’t move him and I was right. 

41 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I’ve never assumed Kirk wanted to re-sign. I’ve said numerous times he didn’t want to play here and he needed to be dealt away but all I got in return is how I hated Kirk and couldn’t get over RG3. I said time and time again he’d just walk away for nothing if you don’t move him and I was right. 

And I’ve said numerous times in posts this offseason you were right all along. 

• 2 weeks later...

If Guice is as good, as I hope he is? This will make Alex's job, that much easier.

Play action is most successful, when you can run the ball.

It forces the defenses to play closer to the LOS.

Allowing Wr's to go over the top on defenses, for big homerun plays.

ESPN article - 50 execs rank starting QBs:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/24119488/2018-nfl-qb-tier-rankings-best-worst-quarterbacks-voted-league-execs

Smith
2018 tier average: 2.52

Polling was generally done in alphabetical order of team or player names, so voters were not asked about the Redskins' new quarterback (Smith) and their old one (Cousins) in succession. Even so, they finished with the same number of votes in each tier: 24 in the second and 26 in the third. On follow-up, voters typically said they would prefer Smith if given a choice, partly because they perceived him to be a better leader.

"I watched all his tape and would make him the last guy in the second tier," an offensive coach said of Smith. "He gets the most out of what he's got more than anybody else I've seen. He is a great decision-maker."

Smith started five consecutive seasons under Andy Reid and played with a stable of dynamic playmakers featuring Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce. Smith is joining a Redskins team lacking in that type of firepower. For that reason, it could be tough for him to complete eight touchdown passes of 50-plus yards, as he did with Kansas City last season (the most since John Hadl in 1968).

"Kansas City is going to miss him," an offensive coordinator said. "They are going to be excited about how dynamic [Patrick] Mahomes is, but when it is said and done, I think they would have won more games with Alex than they will with Mahomes next year. They are going to be hoping Mahomes will play more like Alex in the future."

10 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

ESPN article - 50 execs rank starting QBs:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/24119488/2018-nfl-qb-tier-rankings-best-worst-quarterbacks-voted-league-execs

Smith
2018 tier average: 2.52

Polling was generally done in alphabetical order of team or player names, so voters were not asked about the Redskins' new quarterback (Smith) and their old one (Cousins) in succession. Even so, they finished with the same number of votes in each tier: 24 in the second and 26 in the third. On follow-up, voters typically said they would prefer Smith if given a choice, partly because they perceived him to be a better leader.

"I watched all his tape and would make him the last guy in the second tier," an offensive coach said of Smith. "He gets the most out of what he's got more than anybody else I've seen. He is a great decision-maker."

Smith started five consecutive seasons under Andy Reid and played with a stable of dynamic playmakers featuring Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce. Smith is joining a Redskins team lacking in that type of firepower. For that reason, it could be tough for him to complete eight touchdown passes of 50-plus yards, as he did with Kansas City last season (the most since John Hadl in 1968).

"Kansas City is going to miss him," an offensive coordinator said. "They are going to be excited about how dynamic [Patrick] Mahomes is, but when it is said and done, I think they would have won more games with Alex than they will with Mahomes next year. They are going to be hoping Mahomes will play more like Alex in the future."

Respect from other NFL front offices and coaches, check! Hmmm... now he could just get the ever elusive curmudgeons in the Redskins Football Future Forum, the hardest support to garner in the world of sports for any player, coach or executive.

23 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Respect from other NFL front offices and coaches, check! Hmmm... now he could just get the ever elusive curmudgeons in the Redskins Football Future Forum, the hardest support to garner in the world of sports for any player, coach or executive.

He's only gonna be alive for 3 more years, and he's someone else's developed draft pick. PASS. 

This team needed to keep Kirk at any cost OR draft a shiny 1st rd QB (doesn't matter which). 

Since they didn't do things the way I wanted, nothing will please me. NOTHING. And you'll hear about it every day all year long!

100.webp

:P  

or on second thought.. how about GO GET EM, SKINS !!!!

200w.webp

On 7/25/2018 at 7:06 AM, turtle28 said:

Since I'm not an ESPN Insider, I have no idea what the descriptions of a Tier 2 or Tier 3 quarterback is.

I have responses to this but I'll just leave this alone. I don't want another back and forth debate that goes nowhere. Just realize that you are intentionally poking the bears (same goes for you @oldman9er). Is it trolling? No. But it's not healthy for the forum either.

3 hours ago, Woz said:

Since I'm not an ESPN Insider, I have no idea what the descriptions of a Tier 2 or Tier 3 quarterback is.

I have responses to this but I'll just leave this alone. I don't want another back and forth debate that goes nowhere. Just realize that you are intentionally poking the bears (same goes for you @oldman9er). Is it trolling? No. But it's not healthy for the forum either.

Noted, I get called out for poking a little but others can poke at me 24-7. Such is the life of a semi-optimist in the Redskins FF forum.

Didn't want to bother making a thread, but interestingly, 

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet
FollowFollow @RapSheet
More

The #Redskins and QB Colt McCoy have agreed to terms on a 1-year extension worth up to $7M, source said. It contains a void & buyback provision. Interesting.

3:20 PM - 26 Jul 2018 from Roanoke, VA

Archived