Alex Smith had the highest completion % on play-action passes in 2017

turtle28

9 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Which is also why your evaluation of any player shouldn't strictly focus on stats.

Even the eye test doesn't show Eli as a much better QB than Jay Cutler, tbh.  Those 2 SB rings are the only reason he's a likely HOF'er.  And those SB wins are strictly a team stat according to some here.

2 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Even the eye test doesn't show Eli as a much better QB than Jay Cutler, tbh.  Those 2 SB rings is the only reason he's a likely HOF'er.  And those SB wins is strictly a team stat according to some here.

Oh, I wouldnt vote for him for the HOF at all. 

And youre completely correct about the SB wins.

10 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

There once was a time. When our new starting qb. Had his starting job took by a guy that ended up benched behind Blaine Gabbert.

I appreciate turtle trying to toss up positive stats and all. But no stat in the world can make me feel better. Freakin Blaine Gabbert.

This doesn’t even add up to being relevant. 

1. Alex Smith wasn’t exactly benched. He got a concussion and had the 49ers playing great as they had in 2011 when he had them from a FG in overtime from going to the super bowl. So, he got injured and Kapernick came in and played amazing in 2012 using the zone read offense like Griffin and Wilson and took Alex’s team to the super bowl.

2. Much like RG3, Kapernick wasn’t able to repeat that 2012 performance. On top of that Kapernick got hurt and had a shoulder injury and that’s why Gabbert took over.

You see, facts matter and all the background information to why these two things happened matter instead of just glossing over what really happened with some vague statement that people have to piece together what you’re even talking about.

What’s completely sad is that it’s easier to talk about the Redskins QB situation on Twitter than it is in this forum. I never thought I’d say that but, sadly it’s true. Most in this forum want to predict failure for Alex and this team - I guess to protect themselves from being let down again - than to actually see what Alex has done well and to think that he and the team could have a good season this year.

Just now, turtle28 said:

What’s completely sad is that it’s easier to talk about the Redskins QB situation on Twitter than it is in this forum. I never thought I’d say that but most want to predict failure for Alex and this team - I guess to protect themselves from being let down again - than to actually see what Alex has done well and to think that he and the team could have a good season this year.

There's a difference between predicting failure and desiring failure. I don't believe the team will have a better record with the QB switch (and can easily see a regression), but I hope I'm wrong.

When you say things like this, you muddy the water of your point and make it more likely people to get their back up. Instead of having said "I believe/predict the QB situation will be better than what some of those who are less positive believe," this just came across as "we have a bunch of fans of this team who are wishing for the team to fail."

If you get heat for this, remember your phrasing/positioning here.

8 minutes ago, Woz said:

There's a difference between predicting failure and desiring failure. I don't believe the team will have a better record with the QB switch (and can easily see a regression), but I hope I'm wrong.

When you say things like this, you muddy the water of your point and make it more likely people to get their back up. Instead of having said "I believe/predict the QB situation will be better than what some of those who are less positive believe," this just came across as "we have a bunch of fans of this team who are wishing for the team to fail."

If you get heat for this, remember your phrasing/positioning here.

Well, I’m honest. Sorry for being honest and not politically correct. I do believe that some in this forum would rather see the team not do well with Alex because of other events that Alex losing will lead to such as Bruce Allen eventually getting fired. 

Mknight already stated that he’d rather see Allen be fired than to see the Redskins win the super bowl with Allen as their team president. I think that’s crazy, but if that’s the way he fells then it is what it is.

Interesting thing I heard today on the radio regarding why we acquired Alex. What happened was, Doug and the scouting department scouted Alex and determined that he was who they wanted to acquire to play qb for the team.

Then, Bruce went and reached out to the Chiefs about trading for Alex.

So, it wasn’t just Bruce unilaterally making this decision, it was our personnel department/scouting department looking at other QB options and recommending to Allen that we get Alex Smith.

3 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

I’m focused on this year. We are just as talented if everyone remains healthy. 

lol, no, not even.

First off, let's just forget about Jordan Reed. Because he's never, ever healthy.

Second, we don't have that kind of running game.

Third, and most importantly, we don't have a wide receiver that gets separation. Which is the most important thing for a QB who refuses to take chances with the ball.

3 minutes ago, Slateman said:

First off, let's just forget about Jordan Reed. Because he's never, ever healthy.

He was in 2015. 

Plus, our back-up TE is far far better than the Chief's back-up TE.  His drops were a huge reason the Chiefs lost in the playoffs last year when Kelce went down in the 1st quarter.

3 minutes ago, Slateman said:

We have the talent, which is what we are arguing.  Guice was a better prospect than Hunt coming out of college, without a doubt.  We won't know until September whether he is the better pro.

5 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Third, and most importantly, we don't have a wide receiver that gets separation. Which is the most important thing for a QB who refuses to take chances with the ball.

Passer rating: 126.2 (fourth).
Catch rate: 38.9 percent (12th).
Percentage of yards: 39.1 percent (10th).
Deep touchdowns: 3 (12th).

Score: 38.

After the likes of Allen Robinson and Sammy Watkins are scooped up on the free-agent market, teams in need of an X-receiver will turn their attention to yet another 2014 draft pick. Richardson emerged as the second-best wideout on the Seahawks behind Doug Baldwin last year, serving as Seattle's primary downfield threat. Russell Wilson had a 126.2 passer rating when targeting Richardson on passes that traveled 20-plus yards in the air. The lanky wideout hauled in seven deep balls for 275 yards and three scores. Teams will have questions about Richardson's injury history, including a twice-torn ACL that kept him from cracking the passing rotation until Tyler Lockett was hurt late in 2016. However, he's a soon-to-be 26-year-old deep threat who is more than comfortable fighting for the ball with defensive backs right in his hip pocket. Those traits make him an ideal target for offenses in need of help out wide.

1. Alex Smith, Kansas City Chiefs

Adjusted Completion Percentage: 56.5 percent

Yards: 1,344 (1st)

Kansas City Chiefs QB Alex Smith

One of the surprises of the season, Smith became the league’s most efficient deep thrower, finishing first in adjusted completion percentage and yards while tying for first with 12 touchdowns. After generally ranking near the bottom in deep passing attempts in year’s past, a more aggressive approach had Smith ranked 11th with 12.3 percent of his attempts going deep this season. All told, it helped to pay off as he posted career-high PFF grade.

Just now, turtle28 said:

Well, I’m honest. Sorry for being honest and not politically correct. I do believe that some in this forum would rather see the team not do well with Alex because of other events that Alex losing will lead to such as Bruce Allen eventually getting fired. 

In that case, then you cannot really get mad at the forum when you post inflammatory things and people react. If you want to be anti-PC, then you are going to deal with the blowback.

Personally, I would rather you didn't follow that path as it causes @Thaiphoon and I to spend more time moderating.

Just now, turtle28 said:

Mknight already stated that he’d rather see Allen be fired than to see the Redskins win the super bowl with Allen as their team president. I think that’s crazy, but if that’s the way he fells then it is what it is.

Let me speak out of turn for @MKnight82 (if I say something that doesn't reflect your opinion, please correct me):

MKnight82 believes Bruce Allen (I believe I'm quoting this correctly) to be "a snake in the grass." He believes Allen to be a guy who is in over his head, and uses others to blame for his own failings. MK believes that Allen's tenure as GM is at best a Red Queen's Race, and at worst leading this franchise back to the cellar. MK believes that Allen needs to be removed from the franchise two years ago. As such, if the Redskins were to win a Super Bowl, Allen would be invested with more powers and consequently be even harder to remove.

It's kind of like Joe Flacco for the Ravens. He bet on himself, won a Super Bowl, and has been living off that contract ever since. It hasn't improved the long term position of the Ravens, and arguably has made them worse relative to where they were before that Super Bowl win.

I think it's a bit of hyperbole (again MK, correct me if I'm wrong) for him to say wish Allen's firing before winning a Super Bowl with Allen at the head (if nothing else, we'd have a Lombardi trophy in DC again), but the idea is to fix the rot in the system.

Just now, turtle28 said:

Interesting thing I heard today on the radio regarding why we acquired Alex. What happened was, Doug and the scouting department scouted Alex and determined that he was who they wanted to acquire to play qb for the team.

Then, Bruce went and reached out to the Chiefs about trading for Alex.

So, it wasn’t just Bruce unilaterally making this decision, it was our personnel department/scouting department looking at other QB options and recommending to Allen that we get Alex Smith.

While various people could have been interested in acquiring Alex Smith, the trade and its details was all Allen's decision. He did it all himself. Did he inquire what any those people who said "hey, since it looks like we won't be keeping Cousins, maybe we should pursue Alex Smith?" would be willing to give up to get Smith? While I can see the front office as a whole ranking Alex Smith as the #1 "getable" QB, I would be a bit surprised if they were all on board with the mechanism used to get him.

I would also be curious if the personnel/scouting department was on board with the new contract extension before it was presented fait accompli.

6 minutes ago, Slateman said:

I think we can and should have more optimism on this front than we have had in the past couple of years.

1 minute ago, Woz said:

Let me speak out of turn for @MKnight82 (if I say something that doesn't reflect your opinion, please correct me):

MKnight82 believes Bruce Allen (I believe I'm quoting this correctly) to be "a snake in the grass." He believes Allen to be a guy who is in over his head, and uses others to blame for his own failings. MK believes that Allen's tenure as GM is at best a Red Queen's Race, and at worst leading this franchise back to the cellar. MK believes that Allen needs to be removed from the franchise two years ago. As such, if the Redskins were to win a Super Bowl, Allen would be invested with more powers and consequently be even harder to remove.

It's kind of like Joe Flacco for the Ravens. He bet on himself, won a Super Bowl, and has been living off that contract ever since. It hasn't improved the long term position of the Ravens, and arguably has made them worse relative to where they were before that Super Bowl win.

I think it's a bit of hyperbole (again MK, correct me if I'm wrong) for him to say wish Allen's firing before winning a Super Bowl with Allen at the head (if nothing else, we'd have a Lombardi trophy in DC again), but the idea is to fix the rot in the system.

That's a pretty good summation.  Its a little more than that though, I think Bruce Allen just isn't a good person.  He seems to disrespect a lot of the people he works with, and that survey by (ESPN?) showed that he is the least trusted GM in the NFL.  That tells me he's just a full blown P.O.S.  I don't want someone like that in charge of the team I root for.

5 hours ago, oldman9er said:

I think everyone does indeed understand this. 

I disagree. Or everyone wouldn't be using it as one measuring stick for QBs.

I like to throw it in because it later shines light on who really is ready and willing to be fair to Alex.. and who is not. 

Really trying to track with your thinking here. HOW does it shine a light on who is ready to be fair to Alex if they don't recognize it as an individual stat?

For example, the same people that scoff at Alex's team wins... would probably talk glowingly of some team stat of some other player that they do like. 

Conjecture

Even if a fan speaks glowingly of a team stat for any of his players... is it really that necessary to criticize and defend against a player on your team?

If they are propping the player up to be more than they are, its perfectly acceptable to take the opposite take on that assertion. And also call out that the sta in question is a team stat.

If a fan points out that their team's starting QB was good in play-action, is it really necessary to find a crease in this encouraging notion?

I assume this question is for others. As I said nothing about play-action in any post in this thread (until this very sentence). My post was about W/L record being a team stat. 

Apparently, in this case.. it is. That's a real shame. Could have been a fun season for Redskins football here. 

Its usually lots of fun. But if your version of fun is relexively genuflecting towards any specific player (including Alex) and people not honestly discussing their take on the team and its players, then yes, I think it might not be a fun season for you.

53 minutes ago, Slateman said:

lol, no, not even.

Now, I'll take a different tack here.

I agree on Reed. But if he's healthy, there should be no excuse for Smith.

Similarly with Guice. If our TEs learn to block, I think we can have a reasonably decent (if not downright good) running game with Guice. This will help keep defenses honest and should open up things for Alex downfield.

Richardson might be that guy. He's not a Tyreek Hill. But he could be that deep threat.

What all this says to me is that if Reed is healthy, Guice is as advertised and Richardson can be a deep threat, and... the defense stays healthy... 

... then there's no excuse why Alex can't top last year's numbers. And no excuse why we shouldn't win 12 games. 

Now, I don't think we can top 9 wins. And I don't think he can do that (top last year's production). I hope we/he can. But I think he regresses to the mean this year. But with those weapons showing up like we hope, I don't want to hear any excuses from anyone about his play.

Archived