Jump to content
turtle28

Alex Smith had the highest completion % on play-action passes in 2017

Recommended Posts

On 5/25/2018 at 1:31 PM, turtle28 said:

One player doesn’t make or break a team. Staying about equal at QB while improving your running back and your defense (on paper) improves your team.  

 

"One player doesn't make or break a team " I want to agree with you ,,,but--a picture of Aaron Rodgers keeps flashing through my head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

"One player doesn't make or break a team " I want to agree with you ,,,but--a picture of Aaron Rodgers keeps flashing through my head. 

The Packers only won the Super Bowl once in Rodger’s 10 years as their QB because only once did they have a great defense to go along with him.

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Alex Smith will be good here. Working with Gruden could potentially result in his best years ever. Gruden does annoy me at times but Kirk was terrible before he got here and now he’s almost a lock to be in the pro bowl every year. If things go south with Alex though, look out. This thing is going to blow up real fast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

The Packers only won the Super Bowl once in Rodger’s 10 years as their QB because only once did they have a great defense to go along with him.

Tom Brady is in the championship game or the super bowl every year no matter what movements are made to the Patriots roster. Take him off of that team and they are 8-8 at best. So in some cases, one player does make or break your team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

Tom Brady is in the championship game or the super bowl every year no matter what movements are made to the Patriots roster. Take him off of that team and they are 8-8 at best. So in some cases, one player does make or break your team. 

They were 11-5 the year Brady tore his ACL & MCL. Not saying that would happen every year but I don’t think you can make an argument that Brady isn’t aided by having a great coach and a great defense that has always supported him. If the Patriots defense wasn’t good, I don’t think they’d win a super bowl even with Brady. Brady won his first two super bowls more because of the defense and running game of the patriots and he didn’t make mistakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brady (among other particular QBs) is consistently pampered with timely DPI and overlooked holding calls. It's very important to the League and its bedazzled kids to keep alive the myth of the epic, super-awesome elite QB that carries their team. Certain teams and QBs still have to hold up their end by playing reasonably well.. but if they are not completely stinking it up, they will eventually get some help to level or top out the game as it goes.

Truth is, QBs like Brady are good on their own merit, sure... but they are ALSO made to look better than they are by the above... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

Brady (among other particular QBs) is consistently pampered with timely DPI and overlooked holding calls. It's very important to the League and its bedazzled kids to keep alive the myth of the epic, super-awesome elite QB that carries their team. Certain teams and QBs still have to hold up their end by playing reasonably well.. but if they are not completely stinking it up, they will eventually get some help to level or top out the game as it goes.

Truth is, QBs like Brady are good on their own merit, sure... but they are ALSO made to look better than they are by the above... 

Dude, come on with that mess. Brady is incredible. I can’t stand the tinfoil hat Patriot conspiracies. 

The league wanted him to win so bad that they let him throw for 500 yards and 3 TDs and still lose in the super bowl. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Dude, come on with that mess. Brady is incredible. I can’t stand the tinfoil hat Patriot conspiracies. 

The league wanted him to win so bad that they let him throw for 500 yards and 3 TDs and still lose in the super bowl. 

It's just an opinion.

I feel many games are pushed for a certain team to win. Doesn't mean the opponent can't occasionally surprise, and somehow pull out the win instead. No one WANTS to believe that pro ball is corrupt; I sure don't. I love the game, and constantly push the thought out of my mind. Then I see so many instances throughout that don't pass the sniff test... and then, I shrug and accept that nothing's perfect yet again. The cycle continues, and I find myself grateful to still see enough in football to allow for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good video on the RPO.  I thought it was really interesting in terms of the thinking and concepts that go into designing these plays... even if it is nauseating to watch 9 minutes of an Eagles love-fest.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2018 at 7:01 PM, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Good video on the RPO.  I thought it was really interesting in terms of the thinking and concepts that go into designing these plays... even if it is nauseating to watch 9 minutes of an Eagles love-fest.

 

 

Love it, hey, where’d Pederson get those offensive ideas?

Oh yeah, Andy Reid. And who was the head coach who brought Alex Smith to the chiefs to resurrect them? Oh yeah, Andy Reid.

Take notes Gruden and run a lot of RPOs with Guice and Alex Smith!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched the replay yesterday of K C vs Jets, game #11 of the season I think. A Smith started off as hot as July 4th in TX and ended like the iceberg that sunk the Titanic. Jets were down 14 zip and won 38-31. Good game.

Last drive actually reminded me a lot of Cousins. Near intercepts, receivers cutting in and Smith expected an out . He started 5 of 5, 2 TD's and well over a 100 yards -first two drives. Overall 19-33 366 yards and 4 TD's and a 70 yard run ! 

Still, didn't come thru on the final drive to tie the game . It was fun to "study" him knowing he's now "my" Q B .. 9_9. Great Play Action fakes and handling of the football. I still think he'll be fine for us and it was the best possible outcome for the team. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

I watched the replay yesterday of K C vs Jets, game #11 of the season I think. A Smith started off as hot as July 4th in TX and ended like the iceberg that sunk the Titanic. Jets were down 14 zip and won 38-31. Good game.

Last drive actually reminded me a lot of Cousins. Near intercepts, receivers cutting in and Smith expected an out . He started 5 of 5, 2 TD's and well over a 100 yards -first two drives. Overall 19-33 366 yards and 4 TD's and a 70 yard run ! 

Still, didn't come thru on the final drive to tie the game . It was fun to "study" him knowing he's now "my" Q B .. 9_9. Great Play Action fakes and handling of the football. I still think he'll be fine for us and it was the best possible outcome for the team. 

 

If they were up early and couldn’t defend a lead, I’d put that more on the defense especially if the offense didn’t have a lot of turnovers.

The Chiefs defense was about equal to ours last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

If they were up early and couldn’t defend a lead, I’d put that more on the defense especially if the offense didn’t have a lot of turnovers.

The Chiefs defense was about equal to ours last year. 

What many likely don't know is how Andy Reid's mind works once he has a lead. 

Chiefs fans all over know what I'm talking about, and they would cringe when their own team went up by double digits. Everyone knew what was probably to come. One need look no further than two more recent playoff games of Indy 2013-14 and 2017 Tennessee. 

Gets a fine lead, and offense cruises. Andy stomps on the offensive breaks at halftime while watching the clock tick down, and hoping to squeeze it out. 

He never seems to get that teams can actually come back and take the lead.

.. so why not just keep doing what you did to amass that lead ????

200.webp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×