1984 49ers vs 1985 Bears

Bolts223

Who would win?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who would win?

• 1984 49ers
    • 1985 Bears

Obviously it is difficult to compare teams across eras, especially when you talk about who would win if they were to play.

However, these teams are often in the GOAT discussion and they were 1-year apart.

If these two teams were to play, who do you think would win?

Bears. The 49ers defense was good that year and they would have contained the Bears offense but the Bears defense was stacked. I know alot of people always talk about the starters on defense but I don't think most people realize that the first 4-5 weeks of the season(IIRC) almost half of the pre-season(projected) starters were still holding out. That team was deep. 

I'll put it like this. If that game is played 10 times at Candlestick, the 49ers could possibly pull out 5 wins. If it's played a Soldier field, the Bears win 8 of 10.

59 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

If you asked people in 1987 who saw both, what would they say?

Considering that the 85 Bears has long been considered the greatest team of all time, and that started BEFORE 1987 im going to say they are going to say the 85 Bears.  

In 1984, the 49ers beat the crap out of the Bears 23-0 in the NFC Championship game on January 6th 1985

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198501060sfo.htm

Then in the regular season in 1985, the Bears prevailed over the 49ers 26-10

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198501060sfo.htm

Biggest difference was shutting down the 49ers running game. Bears D gave up 160 yards rushing in NFCCG, but only 67 in the regular season

5 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Considering that the 85 Bears has long been considered the greatest team of all time, and that started BEFORE 1987 im going to say they are going to say the 85 Bears.  

Lol that's more self proclamation than anything else. Half the teams in the league today would stomp them simply because of physical/medical/athletic tech advancements. Game has evolved. 

Even if you don't consider that and go by the era they played in, 72 Dolphins have them beat.

5 hours ago, Danger said:

Lol that's more self proclamation than anything else. Half the teams in the league today would stomp them simply because of physical/medical/athletic tech advancements. Game has evolved. 

Even if you don't consider that and go by the era they played in, 72 Dolphins have them beat.

Sigh...obviously comparing teams across eras is difficult bc of the technology advances, so when we discussing such things we have to immediately throw that out.  TO THIS DAY the 85 Bears are the gold standard of defense.  Why?  Besides going 15-1 and all the regular season records they set.   They then pitched 2 playoff shutouts before putting the worst beatdown in the history of the SuperBowl on the Patriots.  Keep in mind that the Superbowl was never remotely close to a competitive game until the Rams beat the Titans in 1999.  The SuperBowl had always been lopsided but un 1985 it was the most tilted the game has ever been.  Again a record that still stands today.  That is why the 85 Bears have largely been cannonized they way they have.  

2 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Keep in mind that the Superbowl was never remotely close to a competitive game until the Rams beat the Titans in 1999.  The SuperBowl had always been lopsided but un 1985 it was the most tilted the game has ever been.  Again a record that still stands today.

None of that is true, unless when posting "tilted" you mean up until that year, or "dominant". 

I'm just pointing that out to beat someone else to the punch, as I agree with your general assessment, for the most part. Probably the best defense ever, and (this is often overlooked) one of the all-time great offensive lines, too. 

As to the OP, the 85 Bears were better than the 84 49ers--where it gets to be a tricky comparison is with the 89 49ers. That was a loaded team. 

8 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

None of that is true, unless when posting "tilted" you mean up until that year, or "dominant". 

I'm just pointing that out to beat someone else to the punch, as I agree with your general assessment, for the most part. Probably the best defense ever, and (this is often overlooked) one of the all-time great offensive lines, too. 

As to the OP, the 85 Bears were better than the 84 49ers--where it gets to be a tricky comparison is with the 89 49ers. That was a loaded team. 

Its all true, go back and look at the SuperBowl scores before 99.  Save for few exceptions they were blowouts.  The 1985 Bears have the distinction of being the largest blow out in the history of a game full of blowouts.  Im not sure what you meant by saying anything i said was wrong.

12 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

1. Did you say that the 85 Bears had one of the best offensive lines ever? I don't think so. Covert was a great tackle, and Jay Hilgenberg was good, but the rest of the line was below average.

2. The 89 49ers weren't that great. Yeah, they wasted Denver in the SB, but that Bronco team had no offense outside of Elway and Bobby Humphrey, and the 49ers dissected their defense because they played cover high most of the game like practically everyone else did agaisnt them.

8 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Its all true, go back and look at the SuperBowl scores before 99.  Save for few exceptions they were blowouts.  The 1985 Bears have the distinction of being the largest blow out in the history of a game full of blowouts.  Im not sure what you meant by saying anything i said was wrong.

I'd say there were several exceptions, and not a "few", but either way, that makes your statement that Rams/Titans was the first competitive game in Super Bowl history false. And last I checked, 45 is a bigger number than 36. And 35 is also very close to 36, if I'm not mistaken. 

4 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

The 89 49ers weren't that great. Yeah, they wasted Denver in the SB, but that Bronco team had no offense outside of Elway and Bobby Humphrey, and the 49ers dissected their defense because they played cover high most of the game like practically everyone else did agaisnt them.

Maybe if that team would have won three Super Bowls in a row they would have been considered great, I suppose. 

You're right about those Broncos teams in that era being, in large part, a one man show, however. That's a big reason why I still consider Elway the best QB in league history. 

Archived