1984 49ers vs 1985 Bears

Bolts223

Who would win?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who would win?

• 1984 49ers
    • 1985 Bears

54 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

The fact that the Pats dynasty has no blowout wins is weird, historically. Every other major dynasty had at least one where they kinda just steamrolled somebody.

I've never thought about that before. That is weird...

On 5/20/2018 at 2:00 PM, Jakuvious said:

I kind of feel like the difference has basically just been the Patriots. The Patriots are in 8 of those 12 one score games, and none of the 7 that weren't one score. Non-Pats superbowls since '99 have been 4 out of 11 one score games. The fact that the Pats dynasty has no blowout wins is weird, historically. Every other major dynasty had at least one where they kinda just steamrolled somebody.

When you look at those NE Super wins, it's not surprising at all there haven't been any blowouts. Partly due to free agency, and partly due to their formula of having a great QB as the centerpiece of the success. There's a reason why the Pats went nearly a decade without a SB win, the overall talent level on those teams can't compete with the dynasties of the past. When Brady is slightly off(and that's happened in the postseason), the Patriots don't have a Plan B to turn to, and that's been a huge problem. Brady was below par accuracy-wise in the last SB loss, and that was costly.  

Good question. The 1984 49ers had 3 future HoF players while the Bears had 4.

Bill Walsh historically got the best of Mike Ditka. The '85 Bears had both Ditka and Buddy Ryan as co coaches. 

Walter Payton was the Bears RB, but Hampton, Dent and Singeltary were a HoF defensive trio.

The later Walsh teams had better balance and won 4 SBs. But that one Bears season was close to the most brutal in league history and Ryan knew how to deploy them. McMahon didn't make many mistakes and had two WRs to score with. Rice and Taylor came along after 84.

Bears win

On 5/26/2018 at 7:31 AM, LaserFocus said:

When you look at those NE Super wins, it's not surprising at all there haven't been any blowouts. Partly due to free agency, and partly due to their formula of having a great QB as the centerpiece of the success. There's a reason why the Pats went nearly a decade without a SB win, the overall talent level on those teams can't compete with the dynasties of the past. When Brady is slightly off(and that's happened in the postseason), the Patriots don't have a Plan B to turn to, and that's been a huge problem. Brady was below par accuracy-wise in the last SB loss, and that was costly.  

The typical SB winner has 2-3 future HOFers. Dynasties have more. Lombardi had 11, Noll had 9, Grant had 5, Landry had 7, Walsh is still enshrining players. Belichick has 1.

On 5/28/2018 at 7:01 PM, Buddyboy said:

The typical SB winner has 2-3 future HOFers. Dynasties have more. Lombardi had 11, Noll had 9, Grant had 5, Landry had 7, Walsh is still enshrining players. Belichick has 1.

I agree with the overall argument.

Although Tom Brady certainly isn't the only HOFer that will come from this Pats dynasty. Gronk is a for sure HOFer and I think that Ty Law and Adam Vinatieri will also get in.

That isn't to mention other HOFers that they have had on the team for shorter stints during the dynasty, such as Revis, Moss and Manti Teo.

But it really just speaks to how good of a coach Bill Belichick is. Brady early in his career was a great QB, but he wasn't near as good as he was today. When the Pats won the first 3 SB's in the 2000's it was primarily on great defenses and special teams but together by Belichick. Brady was obviously clutch and a very good QB, but he wasn't the type of QB that could've won those SB's without the great defenses and special teams he had around him. Brady really didn't become the Brady of today until around 2007.

9 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

I agree with the overall argument.

Although Tom Brady certainly isn't the only HOFer that will come from this Pats dynasty. Gronk is a for sure HOFer and I think that Ty Law and Adam Vinatieri will also get in.

That isn't to mention other HOFers that they have had on the team for shorter stints during the dynasty, such as Revis, Moss and Manti Teo.

But it really just speaks to how good of a coach Bill Belichick is. Brady early in his career was a great QB, but he wasn't near as good as he was today. When the Pats won the first 3 SB's in the 2000's it was primarily on great defenses and special teams but together by Belichick. Brady was obviously clutch and a very good QB, but he wasn't the type of QB that could've won those SB's without the great defenses and special teams he had around him. Brady really didn't become the Brady of today until around 2007.

Noll's Steelers and Landry's Cowboys aren't done getting players from those teams in the HOF. Both have strong Veterans Committee candidates, who were overshadowed during their playing careers. But it's not just the advantage in HOF talent, those older dynastic teams had more depth across the board, some backups on those teams would have been starters elsewhere. I still don't think NE wins it's first three Super Bowls if Tom Brady doesn't come along. All three wins were razor close, and I don't see a declining Drew Bledsoe getting the job done.

Getting back to this topic of the 1984 Niners vs. 1985 Bears, not sure who would win. The 1985 Niner team beaten by Chicago wasn't nearly at the small level as the 1984 group. 

Archived