pass rush

Pandomonium

15 minutes ago, Pandomonium said:

do you think we will be able to compete this year without doing much to bolster our pass rush?

If there is progression, or guys like Sneezy / Marsh out perform expectations, sure. If it is similar to last year, no. 

The best chance this year is if Buckner gets to the QB. 

It's Buckner's third year. This is the year you usually really see a jump in performance for traditional defensive linemen. Among defensive tackles, Kawann Short jumped from 3.5 in year two up to 11 in year three. Geno Atkins went 3 in year one, 7.5 in year two, and then 12.5 in year three. Jurrell Casey went from 3 in year two to 10.5 in year 3.  I want to see Buckner have a big-time season. He's obviously a great player, and is going to continue to be a great player. He gets a ton of pressure and he had a ton of near misses last season. But I want to see him become elite. I want to see him finish. Get an all-pro. He's capable of it. 

So, if you set a goal of 9 sacks for Buckner, which is definitely doable, then you have to go to the other first round picks on the line - Solomon Thomas and Arik Armstead. Thomas had 3 in his rookie season - let's hope he doubles that especially if he plays inside more often where he belongs permanently anyway. So set a goal for six for Thomas. Armstead - set a goal of 3 and 8 games healthy. With any luck, if Armstead can finish a year like he did in his rookie season, maybe we can get six out of our 2015 first round pick. 

Buckner - 9 sacks
Thomas - 6 sacks
Armstead - 6 sacks

Certainly, I'd think that's one of the best-case scenarios (in the realistic realm of possibilities - certainly any of them can unexpectedly become all-pro level if they want, though - that'd be cool, too). 21 sacks from 3 former first round picks. 

From there, if you can get Attaochu to stay healthy and repeat his second year performance, that's another six sacks. 27. Cassius Marsh got three a couple of times. That's 30. Eli Harold seems to get two or three gifted to him. Let's hope for three. That's 33 total sacks. Let Malcolm Smith, Reuben Foster, and Fred Warner all blitz for one sack apiece. That's 36 sacks. Sheldon Day can get 2 in rotation (it's what he had last year, and he was fun to see). That's 38. 

38 was what the Eagles had last year as the 16th best pass rushing team and eventual Super Bowl Champions.

That's not at all likely to happen. But that's the best case scenario for the year, I believe. In the realistic realm (it's not asking very many people to do more than what they've already done - just the first round picks). 16th best pass rushing team. Not great - but whatever. It could work.

I'm expecting more sacks from Thomas than Buckner. The latter is the better player, but Thomas is more explosive and should get home more than Buckner. Though, a lot of that will depend on how many inside rushes he gets this season. 

13 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

The best chance this year is if Buckner gets to the QB. 

It's Buckner's third year. This is the year you usually really see a jump in performance for traditional defensive linemen. Among defensive tackles, Kawann Short jumped from 3.5 in year two up to 11 in year three. Geno Atkins went 3 in year one, 7.5 in year two, and then 12.5 in year three. Jurrell Casey went from 3 in year two to 10.5 in year 3.  I want to see Buckner have a big-time season. He's obviously a great player, and is going to continue to be a great player. He gets a ton of pressure and he had a ton of near misses last season. But I want to see him become elite. I want to see him finish. Get an all-pro. He's capable of it. 

So, if you set a goal of 9 sacks for Buckner, which is definitely doable, then you have to go to the other first round picks on the line - Solomon Thomas and Arik Armstead. Thomas had 3 in his rookie season - let's hope he doubles that especially if he plays inside more often where he belongs permanently anyway. So set a goal for six for Thomas. Armstead - set a goal of 3 and 8 games healthy. With any luck, if Armstead can finish a year like he did in his rookie season, maybe we can get six out of our 2015 first round pick. 

Buckner - 9 sacks
Thomas - 6 sacks
Armstead - 6 sacks

Certainly, I'd think that's one of the best-case scenarios (in the realistic realm of possibilities - certainly any of them can unexpectedly become all-pro level if they want, though - that'd be cool, too). 21 sacks from 3 former first round picks. 

From there, if you can get Attaochu to stay healthy and repeat his second year performance, that's another six sacks. 27. Cassius Marsh got three a couple of times. That's 30. Eli Harold seems to get two or three gifted to him. Let's hope for three. That's 33 total sacks. Let Malcolm Smith, Reuben Foster, and Fred Warner all blitz for one sack apiece. That's 36 sacks. Sheldon Day can get 2 in rotation (it's what he had last year, and he was fun to see). That's 38. 

38 was what the Eagles had last year as the 16th best pass rushing team and eventual Super Bowl Champions.

That's not at all likely to happen. But that's the best case scenario for the year, I believe. In the realistic realm (it's not asking very many people to do more than what they've already done - just the first round picks). 16th best pass rushing team. Not great - but whatever. It could work.

Why do you hate Ronald Blair? That's what I took from this post.

11 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm expecting more sacks from Thomas than Buckner. The latter is the better player, but Thomas is more explosive and should get home more than Buckner. Though, a lot of that will depend on how many inside rushes he gets this season. 

I agree, Solomon was essentially a redshirt junior in college last year playing in the NFL, easy to forget how young he is. His best performances were in the last 6 or so games of the season and I dont think we can attribute that to Jimmy Gzuz. Most NFL fans think he was a bust but those people didnt watch him. 

I expect Marsh to get the most opportunities, but I seen pictures of a bulked up PitaT and has me thinking a solid preseason will open the door for more regular season sets for PitaT. 

Buckner is more of a workhorse guy that will draw double teams and rb chips so I really dont expect a crazy sack total, but i could be wrong because he's the most talented guy on our line bar none. 

AA has been recovering from foot surgery so i expect him to be as sluggish as ever. With Eli Harorld, I almost hope he gets busted PEDs just so we can run someone else out at SAM.   

19 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Armstead had minor foot surgery and isn't even expected to miss much of the OTAs. So I don't see any reason why he would be sluggish when he will get to participate in mini camp and training camp. 

Any time a guy misses out on off season training with a leg/foot injury that's enough reason for me to believe they will start off slower. How much work can you put in with a walking boot? 

But he will be back by the mini camp next month. It's not like he is returning during training camp or will be limited during training camp. A guy like Sherman who the team will be cautious with and is coming off a major injury is more likely to start out a bit sluggish compared to a guy who will be ready to go next month. 

And he just had the operation recently so he's been able to work out up until this point. 

3 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Sherman will probably be sluggish too. 

Theres no telling how long he's been unable to work out, Barrows reports he was in a boot early this year. He's had foot issues in college too. 

Sherman's already running

Archived