Rico Gathers expectations

WizardHawk

Guy is getting quite a bit of hype. He looks the part, but still a ways away from being a finished product. Where do think he stacks up in the depth chart? Who, if anyone does he supplant on the roster? He's obviously not taking the #1 role at TE, what role does he play?

I'm honestly astonished at his growth given that last year was his first organized football in 8 years. Also some of the things I've seen him do...a 290+lb man should simply be unable to do them. Specifically the play where he fell down with a man practically on him and managed to get back up and square himself enough to run through the guy... wow.

I haven't watched his blocking, but PFF (who has gotten considerably worse over the years, IMO, so grain of salt) rated him pretty highly. Honestly, with his receiving ability (his TDs are as pretty as I've seen. Last night's was very remisicent of Romo's record breaker to Witten against the Colts in 2014) if he can just occasionally get in people's way he'll be a terrific TE.

Hanna  and Swaim are both healthy and having decent camps, last I heard, but Rico is clearly being given a lot of snaps for a reason.

One thing is for sure, we won't be able to hide him on the practice squad again this year. So when it's all said and done, they'll probably have to chose between Rico and Hanna as the 3rd TE. In which case I think Ricos youth and upside wins him the roster spot and Hanna gets his walking papers.

25 minutes ago, CT Cowboy Fan said:

One thing is for sure, we won't be able to hide him on the practice squad again this year. So when it's all said and done, they'll probably have to chose between Rico and Hanna as the 3rd TE. In which case I think Ricos youth and upside wins him the roster spot and Hanna gets his walking papers.

I'm thinking this is how it will play out. 

If he learns to block and keeps working hard, he's seriously another Jimmy Graham. The natural talent and size is just too much for any linebacker or defensive back. Its all on him. Learn to block from one of the best to ever do it and you are set. He's only 23 too.

Archived