Rico Gathers expectations

WizardHawk

19 hours ago, Desperado82 said:

So uh...this is cool. 

That is very cool.  And while everyone may be thinking Elliot with 2 TE run/pass option type stuff,  don;t forget that in 2014 Romo was devastating out of the S02 formation with Dez, Williams, Bease, Witt, and Escobar.  Dak is quite capable of running that and Gathers could be a significant weapon in that formation.

1 hour ago, Dirk Gently said:

That is very cool.  And while everyone may be thinking Elliot with 2 TE run/pass option type stuff,  don;t forget that in 2014 Romo was devastating out of the S02 formation with Dez, Williams, Bease, Witt, and Escobar.  Dak is quite capable of running that and Gathers could be a significant weapon in that formation.

I think more than anything,  it's about making the defense decide whether they have their LB's in, or secondary personnel.   You get them in with the LB's,  you can motion Gathers out or to the opposite side, and then play the percentages.  

14 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Ive said it before and I will say it again: Dak =/= Romo - his game closely models someone else though. Dak looks like a young Tom Brady to me. And Tom is deadly in the 5 wide/2TE quick pass game. I think Dak could be also. 

Lofty comparisons, but I don't necessarily disagree. How many comebacks did he lead us to last year? 

1 minute ago, Desperado82 said:

Lofty comparisons, but I don't necessarily disagree. How many comebacks did he lead us to last year? 

Im not saying he will ever be on that level, but they play similar. Alex Smith kinda has that same style too - but he is more athletic than the other two with less deep throwing ability. 

Just now, Matts4313 said:

Im not saying he will ever be on that level, but they play similar. Alex Smith kinda has that same style too - but he is more athletic than the other two with less deep throwing ability. 

I hope he is xD

We'll see how he's progressed when the season opens especially with Elliott suspended (assuming it holds up). If they're getting Gathers more involved in 2 TE sets, a 5 Wide/2 TE quick passing game would be something Dak could run well.

27 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

I think he will be similar to Escobar this year. 10-15 catches 150 yards but 4-5 TDs. Should be a monster in the redzone.

Him in the red zone would be an interesting matchup for opposing defenses. Especially with Dez and Witten.

Archived