Will Josh Allen become a franchise QB for the Bills?

WizeGuy

6 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

I know you're high on Allen. Can I ask why? His accuracy issues and supposed difficulties reading defenses scares me a lot. I hope you're right, tho

His tape was incredible to watch and I didn't see the accuracy issues people were talking about.  In terms of a physical profile he's one of the best ever.  I just think he needs better players around him for his talent to shine.  In college he was held back by a very poor supporting cast.  He should be a lot better in the NFL.  Plus his game is made for the pros moreso than college.

5 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Is that this year, though? :/

I think so.  AJ McCarron is another Mike Glennon.  He's not a real starting caliber NFL QB.  Josh Allen might beat him out in preseason.  If not, he'll be playing very early in the season.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VanS said:

I think so.  AJ McCarron is another Mike Glennon.  He's not a real starting caliber NFL QB.  Josh Allen might beat him out in preseason.  If not, he'll be playing very early in the season.

You might be right, in general. But Glennon is sort of an outlier. The guy just collapsed, mentally...

On 5/19/2018 at 12:36 AM, Tugboat said:

a defensive-minded HC, an OC who has mostly led abysmal offenses in the NFL?  And a QB coach who is actually a WRs coach?

Daboll had Colt McCoy, Matt Moore and Matt Cassell to work with in his previous stints as an OC.

2012 Kansas City Chiefs: 5th in rushing
2011 Miami Dolphins: 11th in rushing
2010 Cleveland Browns: 20th in rushing (Peyton Hillis over 1100 yards)
2009 Cleveland Browns: 8th in rushing

Reggie Bush, Peyton Hillis and Jamaal Charles had their best rushing seasons under Daboll. 

I think a strong defense and a strong running game is usually the recipe a rookie or young QB needs to work with in order to be successful. I don't think Allen should or will start the season or even get into more than 6 games. But I don't the supporting cast is as atrocious as some want to believe. 

I think he will sit one year, a la Pat Mahomes, and then come in and give mixed results. On balance, he'll do fine, but he will leave the faithful wanting more.

Allen vs. Rosen will depend on when you measure. Rosen will be better out of the gate. The question is Rosen's health and interest level. I am not worried about his commitment, but I think it is a real chance he will be out of the league by his second contract due to health. Also, Buffalonians will argue tooth and nail that Buffalo is a special place requiring superhuman arm strength, cuz cold. So Rosen in the desert =/= Rosen by the lake. I dunno.

Techbert,
thinks the best quarterback Buffalo got this draft will quarterback their defense

Edited by Techbert

On 5/18/2018 at 11:38 AM, WizeGuy said:

I'm struggling to support Beane's decision to draft Allen over Rosen. I hope I'm wrong. 

What say you FF?

Josh Allen has a better head on his shoulders and a stronger arm. The only question is he can learn to be a QB and not just a thrower.

Depends on the definition of a franchise QB. I believe he can be an effective QB in the mold of a Cam Newton but not as good as Cam running though. Cam is not particularly accurate but he is still a dangerous QB. So I see Josh Allen being a Wentz type runner with RPOs and stuff or someone who gets about 300-400 yards on the ground. And a Cam type passer. Or someone who is inaccurate with the ball but can hurt you once or twice a game downfield. I also expect Josh Allen to be a durable QB.

Is that a franchise QB? I think so. The Bills can work with that. 

I'll let you know in 2 or 3 years. Hopefully the Bills load up on ol and offensive skill players next offseason and the year after, because right now Buffalo would metaphorically be handing him the keys to a corolla instead of a corvette like Wentz and Goff got to drive in their 2nd season, and like winston and mariota will have this year (assuming Corey Davis looks good). 

The kid is set up for failure if he starts this season. Bills should sit him the whole year and trade shady to the eagles for a 6th round pick and og/c isaac seumalo.

6 hours ago, Groink said:

The cupboards aren't completely bare, he's got a nice big target in KB, and 2 security blankets in McCoy and Clay to dump it off to.

That's pretty damn bare. Thats like a half a bag of funyuns and a couple packs of raisins...

I love Shady, but I dont expect him to just keep defying laws of nature and playing at such a high level like he has at his age. Still going to be a top 10 RB this year, I just think hes past his days of being a star RB that you can use heavily in a (successful) offense. Always have liked Clay but he is what he is at this point. A fringe top 10 TE, but makes up for his lack of great production (he basically gets 500-600 yds and 4-5 tuddies a year) with his consistency, and versatile playing style being both a good blocker and receiver.  And KB isnt really that great tbh. He hasnt been aside from his overrated rookie season. And hes not exactly Keenan Allen, but he does have a somewhat scary injury history so far. Tore his ACL his 2nd season before week 1..the next season in 2016 he had 1 good game followed by like 14 or something straight games without 100 yards and just being erratic all season long)..and then last year he tears his miniscus..misses two weeks, comes back and tweaks the same knee his first game back and looked bad all season.

So really, if you also consider their OL problems, Buffalos offense looks pretty uninspiring. They have an aging RB whose best years are behind him, two so-far underachievers in Jones and Benjamin...and Charles Clay. 

Then not to mention their coaching staff which IMO is one of the least QB friendly staffs in the league, and their QB group which might honestly be THE worst with Allen, Peterman, and McCarron (who sucks, so plz stop with this "he has potential! We haven't seen almost any of him!" crap. We saw him step in to a loaded Bengals offense and look like a turd every week he played in. Maybe thered be some encouragement if he had showed nice signs of progression when he played but he didnt. 

And then theres the guy the thread asks about....Allen....who is going to be a very bad player. People saying hes better than Rosen are nuts. Seriously. Rosen is going to be a good to great QB. Allen will be in the Arena League in 5 yrs.

On 5/22/2018 at 9:29 AM, Trentwannabe said:

Daboll had Colt McCoy, Matt Moore and Matt Cassell to work with in his previous stints as an OC.

2012 Kansas City Chiefs: 5th in rushing
2011 Miami Dolphins: 11th in rushing
2010 Cleveland Browns: 20th in rushing (Peyton Hillis over 1100 yards)
2009 Cleveland Browns: 8th in rushing

Reggie Bush, Peyton Hillis and Jamaal Charles had their best rushing seasons under Daboll. 

I think a strong defense and a strong running game is usually the recipe a rookie or young QB needs to work with in order to be successful. I don't think Allen should or will start the season or even get into more than 6 games. But I don't the supporting cast is as atrocious as some want to believe. 

Charles had better seasons than that.

14 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

He had a better touchdown total and receiving season in 2013 (so yes a better season) but his best rushing season was 2012 with 1,509 rushing yards.

Only in bulk. He had at least two better seasons as a rusher, just with fewer carries.