Will Josh Allen become a franchise QB for the Bills?

WizeGuy

12 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I wish NextGen Stats put up a link - according to NFL Network Post-Game wrap-up on Sunday night, Allen put up 814 yards of distance travelled running in the game last week.  814 yards lol.

I mean, there's no denying the physical talent is special.   Just a case of him picking up on the accuracy/placement/read progression & D recognition part...which again, are where special physical talents fail.   But there's been some progress on those fronts.  Not much, but enough I'm sure to let the Bills fanbase have hope.   

Yeah I’m not sure how anyone can possibly say Josh has been a disappointment so far. If this is what we said we’d see out of him in his rookie year back in January people would’ve had him as the number one pick most likely. 

8 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Yeah I’m not sure how anyone can possibly say Josh has been a disappointment so far. If this is what we said we’d see out of him in his rookie year back in January people would’ve had him as the number one pick most likely. 

I wouldn't go that far - the areas where he struggles in-game are still the most important for sustained long-term success.  So the risk of busting out is still there.   But the tools are at least translating at the NFL level - that's the entire justification for taking the shot, and it's legit.   

Edited by Broncofan

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

I wouldn't go that far - the areas where he struggles in-game are still the most important for sustained long-term success.  So the risk of busting out is still there.   But the tools are at least translating at the NFL level - that's the entire justification for taking the shot, and it's legit.   

Kelvin Benjamin is gone now so Josh’s completion percentage will jump 10 points 

I will say Allens outlook is looking better than Rosen so far. Rosen looks dreadful and possibly the worst starting QB in the league. Not possibly actually, certainly is. I’m still definitey not sold on Allen being an NFL QB though. 

It does look like they went in the right order, Baker, Darnold, Allen, and Rosen. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/5/2018 at 10:43 PM, BayRaider said:

I will say Allens outlook is looking better than Rosen so far. Rosen looks dreadful and possibly the worst starting QB in the league. Not possibly actually, certainly is. I’m still definitey not sold on Allen being an NFL QB though. 

It does look like they went in the right order, Baker, Darnold, Allen, and Rosen. 

Except Allen has looked better than Darnold and his ceiling his higher. After Mayfield I think Josh Allen is the best QB in this draft class. Lamar Jackson has played well but he is surrounded by a much better team. 

Allen was the last QB I wanted in the NFL draft but I love this kid. So fun to watch and has the heart of a lion.

3 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

Except Allen has looked better than Darnold and his ceiling his higher. After Mayfield I think Josh Allen is the best QB in this draft class. Lamar Jackson has played well but he is surrounded by a much better team. 

Allen was the last QB I wanted in the NFL draft but I love this kid. So fun to watch and has the heart of a lion.

I think Darnold will be better when he gets an offensive coach. I’m still no where near a believer of Josh Allen and don’t see him as a legit starter but I’ll give him credit, looks way better than Josh Rosen. Rosen was by far the worst starter in the league  this year. Can’t judge any rookie QB off one year though. 

43 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I think Darnold will be better when he gets an offensive coach. I’m still no where near a believer of Josh Allen and don’t see him as a legit starter but I’ll give him credit, looks way better than Josh Rosen. Rosen was by far the worst starter in the league  this year. Can’t judge any rookie QB off one year though. 

Don't know how you don't see him as a legit starter. He missed 5 games as a rookie and still broke Tyrod Taylor record for most rushing yards by a QB. And broke Jack Kemp's record of rushing TDs. And he led the NFL for rushing TDs in a season. Pretty significant when you miss so much time.

His arm leaves a lot to be desired and everybody knocks him for his completion percentage. But there is also a stat called adjusted completion percentage which takes out drops and throwaways. And I believe he was ranked around 10th in the NFL. 

14 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

Don't know how you don't see him as a legit starter. He missed 5 games as a rookie and still broke Tyrod Taylor record for most rushing yards by a QB. And broke Jack Kemp's record of rushing TDs. And he led the NFL for rushing TDs in a season. Pretty significant when you miss so much time.

Considering his knock before the draft was his throwing ability and accuracy, these stats likely mean nothing to someone who is on the fence or doesn't believe in Allen. Just saying.

Josh Allen, despite still having some pretty severe deficiencies in the pass game, improved immensely post-injury. Certainly a lot of his struggles can be attributed to the surrounding talent at pretty much every other offensive position, but the tape still shows some issues with touch and reading the field. The game looks like is has slowed down a bit and he looks more comfortable that he did early in the year. I am optimistic about his future considering the degree of improvement he has shown.

For reference, looking at full-game stats from the first half of the year vs the 2nd half of the year, adjusted to 16 games:

1st half: 55% Completion, 2696 Yards, 8 TDs, 20 INT, 6.3 YPA

2nd half: 52% Completion, 3312 Yards, 21 TD, 18 INT, 6.9 YPA

Additionally, sacks and fumble rates decrease, and his rushing efficiency greatly increased (not getting into specifics, as his passing ability is the area of greatest concern).

3 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

xD

2 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

His arm leaves a lot to be desired and everybody knocks him for his completion percentage. But there is also a stat called adjusted completion percentage which takes out drops and throwaways. And I believe he was ranked around 10th in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

Considering his knock before the draft was his throwing ability and accuracy, these stats likely mean nothing to someone who is on the fence or doesn't believe in Allen. Just saying.

The thing is, if throwing ability and accuracy don't improve, D's catch up to running talents / wild but strong-armed scramblers.   What we are seeing is that Allen's non-throwing talents are special enough to keep him afloat.   The key to long-term sustainable success is if he can develop those throwing skills.   But at least we know the tools are truly generational-level.   That's the main reason to be hopeful - he's got the ceiling that makes putting up with the deficient throwing skills & accuracy for now.    Some guys, their skills alone don't translate from the get go.   It's just if he's really going to be a franchise QB, those skills have to improve.    Still, it's not like growth is flat in guys who are this young and this early in their careers, either.    So it's not like this is as good as it gets.   

5 hours ago, Elky said:

He seems like a Ryan Tannehill: multi-year starter and not a complete disaster, but ultimately isn't going to get Buffalo over the hump.

I completely disagree. That's the one thing he won't be. He'll either be a disaster and or take them to the playoffs regularly He is very high ceiling, very low floor. Tannehill is high floor low ceiling