What do you call a football game?

Mistermickster

Hi all, interested Brit here. Quick question if I may please?

Here in the UK, when we are going to watch a football (soccer) game, we affectionately refer to it as 'going to the match', or 'going to the footy'.

How do you refer to going to watch a football game?

Thanks

(Sorry this is in the Draft forum, but I can't seem to post in the General forum for some reason.)

Going to the game.

Usually going to the "ball game" is referring to baseball.

Usually going to the soccer game is received by a slight head nod, a "have fun", and subsequently getting made fun of as soon as you leave the room.

On 5/18/2018 at 6:14 PM, Kiwibrown said:

In New Zealand if we are watching the All Blacks play, we say we are 'watching the AB's'  since 2012 they have won 89% of their games. We just assume that they will win. 

I was watching a sports documentary and they covered the all blacks team briefly. They talked about how rugby is imbedded in the culture plus how they try and created a large pool of players at a young age. I forget the name of the game they have younger kids play, but they essentially said it’s a safer form of rugby.

It is pretty consistent to other countries that dominate a sport like Brazil and Soccer. Although NZ with just 5 million people is on a different level. 

Archived