Gambling could renew push for 18-game season

DigInBoys

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

Won't happen. Keeps more fans interested and teams in the hunt for things and not to mention how much money is made off of playoff games alone. This is a really terrible suggestion.

especially coupled with an 18 game season where the divisions could get wrapped up quicker

9 minutes ago, Danger said:

Won't happen. Keeps more fans interested and teams in the hunt for things and not to mention how much money is made off of playoff games alone. This is a really terrible suggestion.

I agree, as a Browns fan we ain't winning the division.

Overall it would make more money than 16 and wild card, I think. 

with each game added all the games become less meaningful. 

I think 17 games and 2 pre season would be a fair deal for the players and the NFL.  

2 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I agree, as a Browns fan we ain't winning the division.

Overall it would make more money than 16 and wild card, I think. 

with each game added all the games become less meaningful. 

I think 17 games and 2 pre season would be a fair deal for the players and the NFL.  

then no. 500 teams?

16 games, 32 teams is the sweet spot

5 minutes ago, MathMan said:

especially coupled with an 18 game season where the divisions could get wrapped up quicker

5 minutes ago, MathMan said:

totes. 

I wans't suggesting in my earlier post that it was a good idea, just how a deal might get struck up between the NFL and the PA.. 

On a serious note, the first step to increase revenue - eliminate 1 preseason game, and extend the schedule to 18 weeks - with 2 weeks of byes per team, instead of 1.

It doesn't create extra games - but it creates an extra week of TV revenue, and of course, more interest per game.   

It doesn't add extra games played, and it doesn't shorten true offseason time.    It's a win-win for everyone IMO.

Of course, that's probably why it will never happen, either. 

9 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

On a serious note, the first step to increase revenue - eliminate 1 preseason game, and extend the schedule to 18 weeks - with 2 weeks of byes per team, instead of 1.

It doesn't create extra games - but it creates an extra week of TV revenue, and of course, more interest per game.   

It doesn't add extra games played, and it doesn't shorten true offseason time.    It's a win-win for everyone IMO.

Of course, that's probably why it will never happen, either. 

yes, that is absolutely perfect

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:
1 hour ago, G said:

16 games, no preseason, no Thur games except for holiday tradition, extra wild cards, Focus on making a better quality product.

I don't see how no preseason at all could lead to a better product. 

yea, the lack of offseason coaching/conduct has watered down trench play around the league.

I think that would further go into the crapper as well as simple stuff like QB/Receiver chemistry

2 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

yea, the lack of offseason coaching/conduct has watered down trench play around the league.

I think that would further go into the crapper as well as simple stuff like QB/Receiver chemistry

My bad forgot to mention more off-season practices withand without contact. Allow the teams to best judge who should be in there and who's 'hurt or injured' For starters, preseason is barely a step above watching the probowl. Not needed...

21 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Along with even lousier tackling early in the season.

53 minutes ago, G said:

My bad forgot to mention more off-season practices withand without contact. Allow the teams to best judge who should be in there and who's 'hurt or injured' For starters, preseason is barely a step above watching the probowl. Not needed...

Pre-season isn't needed for the casual fan but for coaches and players who are trying to make rosters they are essential. Practice can only tell so much. 

3 hours ago, G said:

16 games, no preseason, no Thur games except for holiday tradition, extra wild cards, Focus on making a better quality product.

And your suggestion would only hurt the product. 

2 minutes ago, MathMan said:

then no. 500 teams?

You are probably correct. 

It is an interesting idea. 

In the NRL in Aussie?NZ

All clubs are allowed to designate 1 margue player and a portion of their salary is allowed to come from a 3rd party sponsor and it doesnt count against the cap. I think it would be an interesting exploratio n in the NFL. 

15 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I don't see how no preseason at all could lead to a better product. 

The first 2-3 weeks of an NFL season is bad enough WITH 4 pre-season games.

I can't imagine the football we'd get if week 1 is the first time they're on the field against live competition. 

15 hours ago, MathMan said:

I'm glad someone at least recognizes this.

If they really want to make more money via the gambling route, do away with Thursday games outside of Thanksgiving. Make it a major push on Sunday, both for betting on games as well as fantasy (whether season long or DFS). You spend Sunday morning hyping up the games, the options, etc.

For the record, I'm not in favor of a major push for gambling, but if the league is going to go that way, the best way to maximize quality is to have the players in the best possible health.

Archived