Top 10 RB

Scout

11 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

You can see Bernard, Sproles, and D. Johnson do this too. Although I'll admit he does finish runs well.

The league seems to agree with me. If Lewis was a top 10 RB he wouldn't of only received $5 million annually on the open market with plenty of suitors vying for is services. Hell even Jerrick McKinnon got $7.5 million annually. He's a very valuable piece, he's not special nor a top 10 RB.

I was ready to refute this until I looked it up. Dunno how I missed it at the time, but man that's an awful contract.

For what it's worth though, the $5M/year that Lewis got is 11th for RB contracts. And 3 of the contracts ahead of him are rookie deals. So the way you're characterizing the situation still isn't very accurate. It's not like tons of just okay guys are getting $7.5M, so Lewis getting that is horrible. Lewis got what a fringe top 10 RB gets nowadays, truthfully. McKinnon just got way overpaid.

5 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I was ready to refute this until I looked it up. Dunno how I missed it at the time, but man that's an awful contract.

For what it's worth though, the $5M/year that Lewis got is 11th for RB contracts. And 3 of the contracts ahead of him are rookie deals. So the way you're characterizing the situation still isn't very accurate. It's not like tons of just okay guys are getting $7.5M, so Lewis getting that is horrible. Lewis got what a fringe top 10 RB gets nowadays, truthfully. McKinnon just got way overpaid.

Fair enough. No disagreement here.  It's also worth considering Giovani Bernard signed a similar contract 2 years ago at $15.5 million over 3 years. He has a very similar skill set and also profiles as a top pass blocking back over the last couple seasons (top 4 among RBs according to PFF) . That's huge considering his role is primarily on passing downs. He can do it all effectively. An argument could be made that he's as good or better than Lewis. But in my eyes Joe Mixon is the superior back, even just after his rookie season, given his skill set as an athletically gifted workhorse. Which I think is more valuable than your prototypical scat back. 

There is a reason the Toddy Gurley's, Ezekiel Elliot's, David Johnson's etc. are considered the leagues best. It's also comparative across across skill positions on offense. Slot receivers, as effective, efficient and productive as they are, are not as valued as your prototypical #1. Perhaps it was a mistake on my part to include contracts in this argument considering Landry's massive overpay, but at the time it felt like it was fitting. 

Maybe I'm underrating Lewis' game more than I should. I just think he's limited to his role more than running backs who more valuable, are more deserving to be listed top 10.

• 6 months later...
On 6/10/2018 at 8:16 AM, Superman(DH23) said:
On 6/9/2018 at 7:48 PM, SmittyBacall said:

Am I the only one who doesn’t see anything special in Jordan Howard?

Lemme axe you a question then, how good is the Bears ol bc with 4 of the top 7 ol injured last year Howard was still 8th in the NFL in rushing. This while seeing 8 man fronts 43% of the time in the Bears ultra predictable run, run, pass offense.  

Toldja.

3 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Ok, yeah bring this up now

Haha, yeah. Bad timing. I dug it up accidentally while looking for my preseason Barkley prediction.

Tough loss tonight. For what it's worth Trubisky looked good and he's proving me wrong thus far. The Bears will be back as a big time threat again next season. Chin up, dude.

Archived