Top 10 RB

Scout

1 hour ago, TENINCH said:

Give up what? That one running back might be better than another one when they are one season into their careers. Yeah you're right. It's settled after one season.

That's not his point. You haven't brought up any concrete reasons as for RIGHT NOW, why Cook is better than Kamara, except saying that "it's only one year". I'm a big Cook fan as far as following him in college, but you can't discount what Kamara did last year as SPECIAL. He looked like a HOF at times last year.

5 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Kamara looked legitimately like a special player watching him his rookie year; a generational type talent even.

I can’t say I saw that with Cook. 

Kamara looked real good, but I don't think he looked generational. Healthy David Johnson and Zeke are just as good and weren't drafted that long ago. I think Kareem Hunt looked just as good before the chiefs started blocking like dook. So yeah,  real good and potential all pro, but not generational. Put Hunt on the Saints and I'd bet his receiving stats would be awesome too.

14 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Kamara can be a better receiver than he is a rusher, but still be a better rusher than Cook.

yeah ok. Guy ran the ball 120 times his rookie year and no more than 107 times a season in college and all of a sudden he's better than a guy that ran the ball 288 times his last season of college and 74 times his rookie year before his injury? How is he a better rusher? Cook was a Heisman candidate in 2015 running on a bad hamstring.

1 hour ago, TENINCH said:

yeah ok. Guy ran the ball 120 times his rookie year and no more than 107 times a season in college and all of a sudden he's better than a guy that ran the ball 288 times his last season of college and 74 times his rookie year before his injury? How is he a better rusher? Cook was a Heisman candidate in 2015 running on a bad hamstring.

You’re basing your evaluation off rushing attempts? Really?

5 hours ago, TENINCH said:

If he's this great rusher why wasn't he featured more in college and during his rookie season?

Butch Jones/Mark Ingram (2x Pro Bowl RB/2nd All Time leading rusher in Saints history). Also, these things happen where guys for whatever circumstances have better NFL careers than college careers. Two that immediately come to mind are:

Tom Brady- Not much needs to be said regarding his college career compared to his NFL career.

Priest Holmes- Played 4 years with the Texas Longhorns. In those 4 years he had the following totals for carries: 34 carries, 39 carries, 120 carries, and 59 carries. He finished his 4 year college career with 1,276 rushing yards. Priest Holmes in the NFL ran for 8,172 yards and 86 touchdowns. During Priest's rookie season he logged a whopping 0 rushes.

Frank Gore- Never had over 200 carries in a collegiate season or eclipsed 1,000 rush yards in any of his 3 college seasons, but has had 9 seasons of rushing over 1,000 yards in the NFL.

Terrell Davis- In 4 college football seasons never had over 167 carries in a season. He never eclipsed 1,000 yards rushing in a college season. In the NFL he had 4 seasons over 1,000 yards rushing and 1 over 2,000 yards rushing.

26 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

If he's this great rusher why wasn't he featured more in college and during his rookie season?

I think that's pretty self-evident to understand, but I'll explain. A simple google search of his scouting report explains the first part of your question:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/alvin-kamara?id=2558019

Alvin Kamara - OVERVIEW

One of the top high school running backs in the country as a high school senior, Kamara went to Alabama to be the next big thing. A preseason knee injury forced him to redshirt, however. He was also suspended for the Sugar Bowl and not on the sideline for the team's game against LSU for "behavioral reasons." Kamara left Alabama in January, but found trouble again a month later in his hometown (Norcross, GA) with a traffic arrest. He suited up for Hutchinson Community College in 2014, winning conference offensive player of the year (1,211 yards, 21 TD). Given a second chance in the SEC by Tennessee, Kamara averaged 6.5 yards per carry as a reserve in 2015 (107-698, 7 TD; 34-291, TD receiving). He was impressive again as a junior, running for 596 yards and nine scores on only 103 carries (40-392, 4 TD receiving), though he missed time with a sprained left knee (LCL, meniscus).

And as for why he wasn't used more his rookie season, he came into a runningback room that already included a very good running mate in his prime in Mark Ingram; who possesses a contrasting running ability as more of a bruiser, short-yardage type. They split the carries nearly 50-50. What did you expect the Saints to do? Force a rookie to dominate the load out of the gate with Ingram in the fold? Even they didn't expect such an immediate impact and such a spectacular talent to emerge or they would have taken him earlier than the third round. What ratio of rushing attempts would be needed to appease your inquiry? 70-30? 80-20? Why would you predominately play one runner when you can keep both fresh and attack teams two very good running backs? I mean this isn't exactly rocket science here. 

Dalvin Cook, another good runningback, came in and had to dethrone an pedestrian journeyman in Latavius Murray. His pathway to attempts was far more clear and opportunistic.   

2 hours ago, TENINCH said:

This is not unheard of at all. You can look at Willie Parker for a recent example of a player that played little in college and his rookie year, yet found a lot of success in the pros. Judging by your viewpoint here, Parker wouldn't be very successful as the feature back, but he did very well.

I think the ultimate truth is that 99% of scouts and draftniks missed on Kamara. Even the Saints missed on Kamara, because if they knew what he would be they wouldn’t have let him pass in the first round. When you watched Kamara in college you came to the conclusion that he went against bad tackling. He doesn’t look particularly explosive...and that is largely due to him being one of the smoothest runners I’ve ever seen. And to everyone’s surprise it wasn’t bad tackling at the collegiate level...the guy just had an uncanny knack for effortlessly slipping tackles. He has PFF top elusiveness rating ever...the guy earned more yards than any RB they had ever charred last year. It’s incredibly difficult to scout the ability to slip tackles, balance, and vision and how all of that translates from the collegiate to NFL level...and those are the three events that define Alvin Kamara. The Kamara <<< 1st RB from 2017 needs to be erased from everyone’s mind because it is clear as day that everyone misevaluated him...even the team that drafted him. 

9 hours ago, TENINCH said:

He is a better rusher because he has done a better job running the ball in the NFL. It's really pretty straight forward.

The draft is over, we're not talking about their potential, so I really don't give a damn who did what in college. I especially don't care how many times they carried the ball in college. Says nothing about them as players. Hell, 4 RBs were taken above both Kamara (and Hunt, for that matter) last year. Doesn't mean that they're better rushers or players now.

Archived