Top 10 RB

Scout

On 6/6/2018 at 10:56 AM, GamedayGuru said:

Thank you! And it isn't easier to run on 7 in the box if u have 1 less blocker than if it were 8 in the box.

This is nonsense. The fewer bodies you have to deal with in the box the better. It's significantly easier to run with less people in the box regardless of what you have on offense to block it. If I could turn the "box" into a 3 vs. 3 situation, me and every OC in the world would do that consistently. Have you ever played RB or coached on either side of the ball? Because if you have, it'd be painfully obvious that you are wrong. The amount of people in the box absolutely matters in context. Just because someone has less blockers against 7 man boxes typically does not mean it's the same thing. More green grass, less bodies, less chances of someone missing a block. I can't believe this argument is being made to be honest.

16 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

If healthy, David Johnson could definitely argue for #1, but he's in that weird place where everyone kind of has to decide how much faith they have in his recovery when they rank him. I wouldn't blame anyone for ranking him just about anywhere, because someone putting him at #1 probably thinks he recovers fully, while someone putting him outside the top 10 probably just thinks he won't be back to his old self yet. Hard to say, unpredictable from our end of things.

Luckily it’s a wrist injury. Probably the least important aspect of actually running the ball (holding it is another question). 

Although he did apparently sustain another injury today.

On 6/7/2018 at 10:56 PM, BleedTheClock said:

This is nonsense. The fewer bodies you have to deal with in the box the better. It's significantly easier to run with less people in the box regardless of what you have on offense to block it. If I could turn the "box" into a 3 vs. 3 situation, me and every OC in the world would do that consistently. Have you ever played RB or coached on either side of the ball? Because if you have, it'd be painfully obvious that you are wrong. The amount of people in the box absolutely matters in context. Just because someone has less blockers against 7 man boxes typically does not mean it's the same thing. More green grass, less bodies, less chances of someone missing a block. I can't believe this argument is being made to be honest.

Not true, say ur in a strong formation and overload the strongside with blockers and then have a WR come in motion, u now essentially have 9 blockers vs 8 defenders in the box. When teams need a yard why do they usually lineup in goal line formations but don't they just lineup 4 WR's outside since it's easier to run? Because they are overloaded one side with blockers. And don't say because they would still stack the box anyway, because no they wouldn't, there would be a reciever left wide open which u don't do. Whatever tho, u can have ur opinion. 

On 6/7/2018 at 11:50 PM, Jakuvious said:

If healthy, David Johnson could definitely argue for #1, but he's in that weird place where everyone kind of has to decide how much faith they have in his recovery when they rank him. I wouldn't blame anyone for ranking him just about anywhere, because someone putting him at #1 probably thinks he recovers fully, while someone putting him outside the top 10 probably just thinks he won't be back to his old self yet. Hard to say, unpredictable from our end of things.

it was just a wrist injury, it shouldnt affect him really at all this year. I think you have to put him top three with gurley and bell.

31 minutes ago, GamedayGuru said:

Not true, say ur in a strong formation and overload the strongside with blockers and then have a WR come in motion, u now essentially have 9 blockers vs 8 defenders in the box.

So I guess the defense is running a two-deep safety look against a heavy set? And the corner is staying outside the numbers when the WR goes in motion? 

Even if that made sense, it’s still harder than if the same happened with 6 men compared to 8.

31 minutes ago, GamedayGuru said:

When teams need a yard why do they usually lineup in goal line formations but don't they just lineup 4 WR's outside since it's easier to run? Because they are overloaded one side with blockers. And don't say because they would still stack the box anyway, because no they wouldn't, there would be a reciever left wide open which u don't do. Whatever tho, u can have ur opinion. 

Because this throws out the use of personnel groupings. 

Base 3-4 front 7>5 down linemen with no help on a run down. 

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

So I guess the defense is running a two-deep safety look against a heavy set? And the corner is staying outside the numbers when the WR goes in motion? 

Even if that made sense, it’s still harder than if the same happened with 6 men compared to 8.

Because this throws out the use of personnel groupings. 

Base 3-4 front 7>5 down linemen with no help on a run down. 

Are u telling me defenses never call cover 2 vs heavy sets? Heck I've seen teams run cover 4 vs them. But with that being said, in the cover 4 the safeties first concern is the run, then pass. 

Anyway, my point is this. Regardless if there is 8 in the box or not, it's more dependent, in my opinion, on the down, distance, and also the players. If i'm playing the jaguars, then yes im thinking run most of the time, but if I'm playing vs Brady, Moss, gronk and hernandez I don't care if the offense comes out in a heavy set or not, sometimes ur going to be thinking pass regardless. It's more about situational football, then a simple 8 men in the box or not. Plus sometimes all 8 don't stay in the box, teams run bluffs all the time. 

4 hours ago, GamedayGuru said:

But to answer the initial question:

1. Bell

2. Gurley

3. Johnson

4. Zeke

5. Kamara

6. McCoy

7. Kareem Hunt

8. Fournette

9. Ingram

10. Howard

Kamara isn't even a full time back. I guess based on their NFL play after Cook was injured you could put him in front of Cook but he's never been a better running back.

11 hours ago, GamedayGuru said:

And don't say because they would still stack the box anyway, because no they wouldn't, there would be a reciever left wide open which u don't do.

Dude you're missing some basic football knowledge, no offense. Do you know what a cover 1/cover 0 defense is? That's exactly what teams do on 4th and short. You telling me to "not say" something that happens 95% of the time on 4th and short, just so you know.

On 6/5/2018 at 12:39 PM, Danger said:

I think that was me, but you're misremembering some of the details.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/rushing#percent-eight-defenders

Kamara statistic is spot on though.

*Fournette: is 48.51% but still 5th.

My goodness Jordan Howard is just a beast on that list.  But to be honest im shocked ANYONE faced more 8 man boxes than Howard

12 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Am I the only one who doesn’t see anything special in Jordan Howard?

Lemme axe you a question then, how good is the Bears ol bc with 4 of the top 7 ol injured last year Howard was still 8th in the NFL in rushing. This while seeing 8 man fronts 43% of the time in the Bears ultra predictable run, run, pass offense.  

4 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Lemme axe you a question then, how good is the Bears ol bc with 4 of the top 7 ol injured last year Howard was still 8th in the NFL in rushing. This while seeing 8 man fronts 43% of the time in the Bears ultra predictable run, run, pass offense.  

I'd say it's more impressive given the very lackluster performance of Trubisky year 1.

Archived