Top 10 edge defenders

Scout

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Clowney doesn't get enough love.  He had a great 2017 season...

There's still an injury stigma to him that has everyone hesitant to rank him. I also think people put too much of a premium on sack numbers - the fact he has yet to have a 10.0 sack season impacts his ranking (nevermind he's led the league in TFLs the last two seasons).

I'm admittedly in this group that underrated him, but I think he's got the biggest upside of all these names, as a guy going into year 5.

16 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

There's still an injury stigma to him that has everyone hesitant to rank him. I also think people put too much of a premium on sack numbers - the fact he has yet to have a 10.0 sack season impacts his ranking (nevermind he's led the league in TFLs the last two seasons).

I'm admittedly in this group that underrated him, but I think he's got the biggest upside of all these names, as a guy going into year 5.

I think he's very good, but there is something to be said for consistency as well, which is why I have him lumped in that very good 2nd tier of edge rushers that isn't quite elite, but is definitely pro-bowl caliber. He's getting there though.

42 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think he's very good, but there is something to be said for consistency as well, which is why I have him lumped in that very good 2nd tier of edge rushers that isn't quite elite, but is definitely pro-bowl caliber. He's getting there though.

I guess my only counter is how you're defining consistency. As a pass rusher, he's very inconsistent. As a run defender, he doesn't set the edge, he bashes it with a sledgehammer and destroys the edge any time he's asked to. There's not a run blocking O Lineman who can stop him, point blank.

If he could ever get consistent on his pass rush, he could be a JJ Watt-circa-2012-type defender; I don't know if he's capable of getting there, but the tools and flashes show that

15 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I guess my only counter is how you're defining consistency. As a pass rusher, he's very inconsistent. As a run defender, he doesn't set the edge, he bashes it with a sledgehammer and destroys the edge any time he's asked to. There's not a run blocking O Lineman who can stop him, point blank.

If he could ever get consistent on his pass rush, he could be a JJ Watt-circa-2012-type defender; I don't know if he's capable of getting there, but the tools and flashes show that

I define consistency as high levels of play for multiple years. I think a few more years at his current level and he'll be top 5 for sure. The pass rushing will get him there faster too, but there's room for growth.

4 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I define consistency as high levels of play for multiple years. I think a few more years at his current level and he'll be top 5 for sure. The pass rushing will get him there faster too, but there's room for growth.

Yet Joey Bosa can make the list after his sophomore season? 

On 6/8/2018 at 7:26 AM, SmittyBacall said:

I didn't make the initial list, but Bosa has shown that he's a complete player over the two seasons he's played in. Clowney has more upside but I'm comfortable with the other poster putting Bosa top 5. Bosa has also put up more sacks in 2 years than Clowney in 4. Not saying that's an end all be all, but I'm sure the pressure numbers corroborate that.

4 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I didn't make the initial list, but Bosa has shown that he's a complete player over the two seasons he's played in. Clowney has more upside but I'm comfortable with the other poster putting Bosa top 5. Bosa has also put up more sacks in 2 years than Clowney in 4. Not saying that's an end all be all, but I'm sure the pressure numbers corroborate that.

Clearly a better pass rusher, and all-round player. I'd take Clowney for blowing up runs.

On 6/8/2018 at 10:26 AM, SmittyBacall said:

Probably a big difference since A) we haven’t seen Bosa be anything but an elite player, unlike Clowney, and B) Bosa is a more consistent overall player (pass rushing and run defending) within a season’s timeframe.

Archived