Deshone Kizer Appreciation Thread

FGK

Tons of credit to @brownie man. He was the first balls to the wall defender of the Kizer pick. But I've also loved it from the beginning and said that Kizer was right there with the three first round QBs. We still don't know for sure, but sweet lawdy was that a magnificent first game. This video is what my heart felt like when I realized that we appear to have a QB with a cannon, some accuracy, mobility, and serious smarts.

Just want to put this out there... I come back to the forum and the Browns win the very next game. Coincidence? 

Seriously though, how nice is it to have Kizer show out and not have to hear all about how we passed on Trubisky and Watson? Out of everything last night, I really loved watch him move within the pocket - if there's one thing I've learned, it's that QB's either have that feel or don't, and he does. Now he just needs to get his internal clock calibrated a little better to know when to get rid of the ball and he'll be on a (KIzer) roll.

It feels nice to be excited about a QB prospect!

The most impressive thing about his game winning touchdown pass besides the pass, was him not deterring with the pressure in his face. He stood there in the pocket waiting for the perfect moment to let rip even tho there was a defender on getting ready to hit him. He didn't rush the pass or brace for a hit. 

I know it was crazy when it was first brought up because of his size and everything early on but last night I saw it.

watching the cut up of just his passes, some of the things he was doing really reminded me a little bit of Big Ben. If you watch his bomb that got to the Browns to the one yard line, the way he moved in the pocket, utilized the pump fake,' and the way he loaded up, it reminded me of Big Ben. 

Two really good points buno.

He stood in there and took a hit, kept his eyes up and downfield, manipulated defenders, etc. 

I also love that he wasn't intimidated by the moment.  He's saw guys open and let it rip, there was no dinking and dunking trying not to make a mistake.

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

The most impressive thing about his game winning touchdown pass besides the pass, was him not deterring with the pressure in his face. He stood there in the pocket waiting for the perfect moment to let rip even tho there was a defender on getting ready to hit him. He didn't rush the pass or brace for a hit. 

That's the most underrated aspect to his game. His pocket presence is truly an asset that will sustain him. Right now he's stroll sitting in the pocket too long, but I'd much rather have a QB be too comfortable in the pocket and learn to make faster decisions than a QB that doesn't go through his progressions and runs out of there. 

36 minutes ago, buno67 said:

How could he get too gimmicky with him?

That dumb *** reverse in Kizer's first drive that lost him 9 yards annoyed tf out of me. Hue can't be calling plays like that right now. He's gotta put the kid in a good position. Hue cleaned it up but he can't be doing that bs. 

All in all im not surprised by any of this. He's showing exactly what I expected him to show. He was the best QB prospect for us in this draft in terms of our division and Hue's offense.  I said they from the beginning. 

Get used to this guys this is the way Kizer plays on a weekly basis. We've got our quarterback.

watching the youtube video of all his throws again. Here are some more thoughts I have...

Some of his biggest throws came during some of his toughest moments. His big pass that was caught at the 1yard line came on a 3rd and 15, the deep come back was a 2nd and 17, the pass he completed on 3rd and 24 that made it 4th and 2 ( I think this was a big throw because he look off one of the LBs long enough to give him a big enough window to make the pass. He looked at the RB enough that the LB had to sit enough in his zone.) and then his game winning TD. That pass was a perfect 50yard dime. Best part about it was his feet. He had the pressure coming right at him. In the past, we would see Browns' QB throw it off their back foot. Leading to incomplete/intercepted passes. Kizer took a little step, to get his throwing motion perfect and have his timing. Leads to a perfect pass.

I know in my earlier post I brought up the big ben comparison, but I swear, Kizer has had to study big ben because it seems like he uses some of the little moves he uses. Watching the 3rd and 24 play again and I said above how he looked at the RB long enough to open the window for his Hall, he was able to keep the LB honest because he did the little shoulder fake/pump fake, something that BigBen does a lot. 

I know its early and it was only vs the 3s. The thing that really gives me hope is the things he was suppose to be great at, His supposed strengths, truly looked like his strengths. You go back to scouting reports, they talk about how he has a beautiful deep ball, he keeps his eyes downfild, will step into the pass rush, solid pocket presence, and coachable. To me all those strengths were put on display last night. When it came to throwing the ball deep, his two passes that were 40+ yard throws were completely on the money and were a thing of beauty. Kept his eyes downfield, never settled for the dump offs. When he threw short it was mainly because it was a screen or it was 3rd and short.  On his game winner, he stepped into the pass rush that to a game winning TD pass and was flagged for roughing the passer. I think he was coachable because in the 3rd quarter he didnt look all that great but when it cae to the 4th he looked completely different. One, he looked more comfortable and two, I think he took to the coaching that was given to him on the side line. 

His weaknesses are his weaknesses and they are being worked on but it is great to see his strengths are actually showing to be a factor.

I just bring this up because last year, watching Goff, his strengths last year seemed to be a weakness for him. It was that way in the preseason and in the regular season

9 minutes ago, brownie man said:

That dumb *** reverse in Kizer's first drive that lost him 9 yards annoyed tf out of me. Hue can't be calling plays like that right now. He's gotta put the kid in a good position. Hue cleaned it up but he can't be doing that bs. 

see I dont mind plays like that, if you do them once and awhile. You gotta test the defense. I dont know if that was truly a bad play by the browns but more like a great play by the DE. I would have to watch it again but if I remember correctly, that back side DE made a great read on that play and stayed home. I think you have to run a play like that once or twice to really see what the defense is looking at and what kind of plays you could get away with later. 

If the Browns are going to be gimmicky, I would rather see it now rather than later. 

11 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Some of his biggest throws came during some of his toughest moments. 

Yeah to throw that TD pass on 4th and 2 is pretty epic. That took balls. 

I know in my earlier post I brought up the big ben comparison, but I swear, Kizer has had to study big ben because it seems like he uses some of the little moves he uses. 

Ive never heard Kizer talk about Big Ben tape. I've only heard him talk about Brady, but I see what you mean. To me most of that to me comes naturally in terms of his body movements I don't think you learn that it's just how dudes as that size who are good move. 

I know its early and it was only vs the 3s. The thing that really gives me hope is the things he was suppose to be great at, His supposed strengths, truly looked like his strengths. You go back to scouting reports, they talk about how he has a beautiful deep ball, he keeps his eyes downfild, will step into the pass rush, solid pocket presence, and coachable. To me all those strengths were put on display last night. When it came to throwing the ball deep, his two passes that were 40+ yard throws were completely on the money and were a thing of beauty. Kept his eyes downfield, never settled for the dump offs. When he threw short it was mainly because it was a screen or it was 3rd and short.  On his game winner, he stepped into the pass rush that to a game winning TD pass and was flagged for roughing the passer. I think he was coachable because in the 3rd quarter he didnt look all that great but when it cae to the 4th he looked completely different. One, he looked more comfortable and two, I think he took to the coaching that was given to him on the side line. 

His weaknesses are his weaknesses and they are being worked on but it is great to see his strengths are actually showing to be a factor.

I just bring this up because last year, watching Goff, his strengths last year seemed to be a weakness for him. It was that way in the preseason and in the regular season

Exactly

what people keep forgetting is that at he end of the football season not the offseason but the actual football season Kizer was number 1 on almost everyone's draft board. 

Only after the combine and all things that don't have anything to do with football did he fall, but remember during the football season and right after he was pegged to be the number 1 QB as a pro prospect. He's got all the tools and the demeanor and having leaving Brian Kelly is stock is only going to go up. Like I said before to me we basically got a Jameis Winston on discount because of Brian Kelly.

Archived