Jump to content
aceinthehouse

Our Offense got a lot faster this off season.

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Except he's 2-5 in the playoffs. 

so much for TEAM stats, lmao !!!!!

 

This is why he's just never going to get a real chance, with some of you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

so much for TEAM stats, lmao !!!!!

 

This is why he's just never going to get a real chance, with some of you. 

It’s relevant if someone is trying to call him a “winner”.  He’s never won anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

It’s relevant if someone is trying to call him a “winner”.  He’s never won anything.

Some would argue that being a top 5 QB in win % over the last 5 years actually does indicate something. That's more than some small sample size, for me. 

If you have no interest in optimism for your new QB being a winner? hey, go with that. Any QB that plays that level of winning football over the last 5 years, I think most would regard as a "winner." If you don't, well what can I say? 

200w.webp

color us shocked... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Some would argue that being a top 5 QB in win % over the last 5 years actually does indicate something. That's more than some small sample size, for me. 

If you have no interest in optimism for your new QB being a winner? hey, go with that. Any QB that plays that level of winning football over the last 5 years, I think most would regard as a "winner." If you don't, well what can I say? 

200w.webp

color us shocked... 

How many Super Bowls?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

How many Super Bowls?

lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

lol

Ya that’s my response too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Except he's 2-5 in the playoffs. 

To be fair, 2-5 in the playoffs would basically make him a Redskins god during the Snyder era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

To be fair, 2-5 in the playoffs would basically make him a Redskins god during the Snyder era.

Yay mediocrity!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

To be fair, 2-5 in the playoffs would basically make him a Redskins god during the Snyder era.

Unfortunately, this is Exactly right. It actually gives Alex Smith as many playoff wins as the entire Redskins Organization since we last won a Super Bowl in 1991-1992.

On top of that, we all know wins and losses is a team stat. No one player is responsible for any teams win or loss.

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Yay mediocrity!

His overall record is better than mediocre the last 5 years. He’s an upgrade in that regard over what the Redskins have been since 1992-93. 

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

so much for TEAM stats, lmao !!!!!

 

This is why he's just never going to get a real chance, with some of you. 

Here's the thing: you are probably right. Alex Smith, until he hits the field, will probably not get a fair shake. Even then, he'll need to replicate his 2017 numbers almost from the jump to get the fanbase on his side.

It's unfair to him, but he walked into this.

To explain "this," you need to understand the history and context of the QB situation for most of the past decade.

The last big name quarterback the Washington Redskins traded for was Donovan McNabb, someone I think even you will admit had more cachet and potentially better numbers than Alex Smith had. That was an utter debacle. It didn't help one bit that the Redskins were fleeced by a divisional rival coached by ... Andy Reid.

Then, after McNabb blew up in their faces, they tried to run with a year of Rex Grossman and John Beck. Yeah ...

That put them in sixth(*) for the 2012 NFL Draft and they made the Robert Griffin III trade. This looked like an expensive but good deal ... until he blew out his knee his rookie year and was never the same. For the next two years, there was a swirl of massive controversy as Griffin tried to dictate the playbook, whether he was healthy, whether he could play, etc.

Meanwhile, there was this guy on the roster named Kirk Cousins who kept on just putting in the work. Eventually things broke his way, and he became the starter.

For the first time since possibly Gus Frerotte in the mid to late 90s, a home town developed quarterback was leading the team.

Alas, you know how that worked out.

What has made Smith's job even harder is that A) the Redskins traded for him, B) traded him to Andy Reid (bringing back fears of the McNabb deal), and C) gave him a contract extension that Kirk Cousins would have jumped at if it had ever been offered.

 

So, yeah, the fanbase around here (especially in Football's Future, where I believe we're a bit more realistic/less-homerish than other boards that exist for Redskins talk which I won't mention beyond this oblique reference) tends to be negative on Smith. Some of that is based on how we view Smith relative to his actual talents. Some of that is history.

Most of us don't just assume that because a player signed with or was drafted by the Redskins that he will become the next [name of player who was best at his position]. We tend to analyze how each move fits into the larger picture of the franchise's talent base.

For instance, last year I was incredibly dismissive of the Terrell McClain and Stacy McGee signings, pro-Swearinger, and unsure of Pryor. I loathed their 2017 draft for the most part (only exceptions were Jonathan Allen (I was over the moon), Fabian Moreau (liked the value), and Robert Davis (I have a weakness for small school guys)). By and large, I did pretty well with that evaluation (Montae Nicholson and Chase Rouiller look to be major misses on my part). I'm not trying to toot my own horn but show that I (like a lot of guys in this forum) spend time trying to be clinical in our evaluations. I like most of their 2018 offseason, though the trade for Smith (not necessarily the player himself) is my biggest negative.

Maybe it will turn out for the best. Maybe it will blow up in the Redskins' faces. Neither of us know.

 

 

 

 

(*) In the 2011 season, the Redskins started out 3-1 under Rex Grossman but benched him in game five after he had thrown four interceptions. John Beck finished out that game (a loss) and started three more (all losses). They brought Grossman as the starter in week 9 and he proceeded to go 2-6. Had they stuck with Beck, or had Grossman lost just one of those games, it's possible the Redskins wouldn't have had to make the massive deal that they made for Griffin. Yes, they would likely have had to trade up, but the price probably wouldn't have been as high as they could have been 4th or possible 3rd (if they had lost out as the Vikings beat them in week 15).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing more exciting seeing Alex Smith celebrate td's & victories with the team this season?

 

Will be the dazed look on Cousins face, after every late game deciding interception that costs the Vikings the game.

I actually do feel sorry for the fans. I think they'll regret letting C. Keenum go.

Will Bruce Allen get credit, for not giving in to Kirk & that contract.

 

He should & he will!

Either way, it all will be forgotten.

Alex Smith will help make that happen in Washington.

He's a winner!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Yay mediocrity!

Yeah. Sounds about right lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember the Eli Manning bets we used to do with Giants fans? We need one for Alex Smith. Let’s let @aceinthehouse set some over unders and we can put our money where are mouths are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Woz said:

Here's the thing: you are probably right. Alex Smith, until he hits the field, will probably not get a fair shake. Even then, he'll need to replicate his 2017 numbers almost from the jump to get the fanbase on his side.

It's unfair to him, but he walked into this.

To explain "this," you need to understand the history and context of the QB situation for most of the past decade.

The last big name quarterback the Washington Redskins traded for was Donovan McNabb, someone I think even you will admit had more cachet and potentially better numbers than Alex Smith had. That was an utter debacle. It didn't help one bit that the Redskins were fleeced by a divisional rival coached by ... Andy Reid.

Then, after McNabb blew up in their faces, they tried to run with a year of Rex Grossman and John Beck. Yeah ...

That put them in sixth(*) for the 2012 NFL Draft and they made the Robert Griffin III trade. This looked like an expensive but good deal ... until he blew out his knee his rookie year and was never the same. For the next two years, there was a swirl of massive controversy as Griffin tried to dictate the playbook, whether he was healthy, whether he could play, etc.

Meanwhile, there was this guy on the roster named Kirk Cousins who kept on just putting in the work. Eventually things broke his way, and he became the starter.

For the first time since possibly Gus Frerotte in the mid to late 90s, a home town developed quarterback was leading the team.

Alas, you know how that worked out.

What has made Smith's job even harder is that A) the Redskins traded for him, B) traded him to Andy Reid (bringing back fears of the McNabb deal), and C) gave him a contract extension that Kirk Cousins would have jumped at if it had ever been offered.

 

So, yeah, the fanbase around here (especially in Football's Future, where I believe we're a bit more realistic/less-homerish than other boards that exist for Redskins talk which I won't mention beyond this oblique reference) tends to be negative on Smith. Some of that is based on how we view Smith relative to his actual talents. Some of that is history.

Most of us don't just assume that because a player signed with or was drafted by the Redskins that he will become the next [name of player who was best at his position]. We tend to analyze how each move fits into the larger picture of the franchise's talent base.

For instance, last year I was incredibly dismissive of the Terrell McClain and Stacy McGee signings, pro-Swearinger, and unsure of Pryor. I loathed their 2017 draft for the most part (only exceptions were Jonathan Allen (I was over the moon), Fabian Moreau (liked the value), and Robert Davis (I have a weakness for small school guys)). By and large, I did pretty well with that evaluation (Montae Nicholson and Chase Rouiller look to be major misses on my part). I'm not trying to toot my own horn but show that I (like a lot of guys in this forum) spend time trying to be clinical in our evaluations. I like most of their 2018 offseason, though the trade for Smith (not necessarily the player himself) is my biggest negative.

Maybe it will turn out for the best. Maybe it will blow up in the Redskins' faces. Neither of us know.

 

 

 

 

(*) In the 2011 season, the Redskins started out 3-1 under Rex Grossman but benched him in game five after he had thrown four interceptions. John Beck finished out that game (a loss) and started three more (all losses). They brought Grossman as the starter in week 9 and he proceeded to go 2-6. Had they stuck with Beck, or had Grossman lost just one of those games, it's possible the Redskins wouldn't have had to make the massive deal that they made for Griffin. Yes, they would likely have had to trade up, but the price probably wouldn't have been as high as they could have been 4th or possible 3rd (if they had lost out as the Vikings beat them in week 15).

Didn’t Rex Grossman hurt his ribs and then missed a few games? I don’t think he was benched for Beck, Grossman got hurt.

It wasn’t fair to give McNabb just one season in DC given the roster he was handed. The Redskins/Shanahan gave McNabb one season with the worst roster they had in Redskins history. 

McNabb was only average in his one year in DC, but he was essentially the offense that year. His #2 & 3 WRs were a 39-year old Galloway and Anthony Armstrong who was a one trick pony who at best should’ve been a #5 or 6 WR.

We think we’ve had bad running backs the last two years, look back at the running backs we had in 2010 after Clinton Portis went down and retired because of a concussion.  Putrid.

We think our Ol and defense were bad last year after injuries, look at what it was back in 2010.

I’m not saying McNabb was going to be the answer or that he was only going to lead to the playoffs in 2011, but we certainly would’ve won more than 5 games given how much better our D was in 2011 thanks to the additions to Kerriagna, Bowen, Cofield, Wilson and Atogwe. 

I think if McNabb was retained in 2011 we probably end up 8-8 or 9-7. Then, we probably don’t trade up for Griffin in 2012. Instead we take a qb to develop behind McNabb in 2012 in round 2 after taking a WR or defensive player in round 1.

Heck, they probably would’ve taken Cousins or Russell Wilson in round 2 in 2012, and the rest would’ve been history. 

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×