Our Offense got a lot faster this off season.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

That’s run blocking. I’m talking abut pass blocking. Obviously if we are talking about sacks, we are talking about pass blocking, not run blocking.

Also, Hunt was so good that he made their OL look better than what it was.

The Redskins were better at every OL position than the Chiefs except possibly LG, but I’d ever argue Lauvou is better their their LG. They lost their starter vs us and I think he missed a month or more with a sprained MCL or something.

If we're talking about sacks, Smith isnt that great at avoiding them.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Here's the thing: you are probably right. Alex Smith, until he hits the field

Until, and throughout is my guess. 

All the history lessons and excess words are interesting, but the bottom line is what it is. Latching onto past grievances, and applying wounds of the past to the present just do not suit me. Hope you guys can enjoy and find something good and positive this season.  winking-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

41 minutes ago, Slateman said:

If we're talking about sacks, Smith isnt that great at avoiding them.

Because their OL sucked at pass blocking.

Unless you’re going to tell me that guys like Eric Fisher are better than Trent Williams...

44 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Remember when this website had Giants fans? 

There was that one guy from the Giants forum that used to come around. I remember the discussions between Him and If Andre Carter or Osmenyora were better.

3 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

The only thing more exciting seeing Alex Smith celebrate td's & victories with the team this season?

Will be the dazed look on Cousins face, after every late game deciding interception that costs the Vikings the game.

I actually do feel sorry for the fans. I think they'll regret letting C. Keenum go.

Will Bruce Allen get credit, for not giving in to Kirk & that contract.

He should & he will!

Either way, it all will be forgotten.

Alex Smith will help make that happen in Washington.

He's a winner!

giphy.gif

13 hours ago, Slateman said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-offensive-lines-from-the-2017-nfl-season

PFF disagrees. Given that the Chiefs were the top rushing team in the league, I think you're underestimating the Chiefs' Oline.

Also, last year, pass attempts per sack:

• Smith 14.4
  • Cousins 13.1

So despite having a significantly better offensive line and much better talent at receiver, that Smith was only marginally more effective at not getting sacked.

I wonder what we might find with more than just that one year of cherry-picked PFF rankings.

Redskins (2014-2017): 12th. 11th, 7th, 21st

Chiefs (2014-2017): 27th, 22nd, 14th, 16th

The 2015 rankings are the only ones that differentiate between run blocking and pass blocking grades for each unit, but they had the Redskins at 13th in pass blocking and the Chiefs at 30th.

For an alternate viewpoint, Football Outsiders ranked the two teams as follows in pass protection:

Redskins (2014-2017): 31st, 10th, 3rd, 21st

Chiefs (2014-2017): 28th, 28th, 14th, 17th

Point being, aside from this past season when our entire unit was ravaged by injury, the Redskins have clearly had the better OL. This is borne out by the eye test, the respective reputations of the players making up each unit, and these ostensibly objective measures of their performance. 

Anyway, I’m not entirely sure why “best at avoiding sacks” became the proxy metric for a QB’s running ability and ability to extend plays in the first place. All the best running QBs and play-extenders take more sacks than their strictly pocket passing counterparts. Just look at the most times sacked career leaderboard sometime — guys like Elway and Favre and Cunningham and Roethlisberger and McNabb and Brunell (and Aaron Rodgers on his way) all right at the top. And if you want an even clearer example, Archie Manning was sacked more times than either of his sons, despite about half (or less) the dropbacks. 

Just seems like an odd and pointless thing to try to argue. Anyone who has watched the two guys play more than a couple times knows that Alex Smith is the more mobile, more elusive, better play extender of the two. It’s pretty obvious, quite honestly. 

And I guess to piggyback on my prior post, I really do see why some folks get frustrated with trying to post stuff here. Even on things that are glaringly, stupefyingly obvious, it’s a fight to get folks to concede anything that could be construed as a positive comment about the team or its direction. 

How is the statement that the offense has gotten faster from what we put on the field last season possibly something to push back so adamantly on? Replace Perine/Kelley with Derrius Guice. Replace Ryan Grant with Paul Richardson. Replace Cousins with Alex Smith. Potentially replace one of the big-bodied #5/#6 WRs with Trey Quinn. Hopefully replace 3/4 of a season of Niles Paul with Jordan Reed and 1/2 a season of not-Chris-Thompson with actual Chris Thompson. Hopefully replace injured Trent and injured Moses with healthy Trent and healthy Moses. 

That’s 8 spots at which we’ve got some hope to be at least marginally faster. You can agree that, with any luck, the offense will hopefully have more speed. It won’t kill you. It doesn’t mean you like the Redskins again or think they’re smart or believe they will be any good. It just means that you can objectively recognize that in this one narrow facet (speed) of this one isolated side of the ball (offense), they may have moved in a positive direction this offseason. 

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

And I guess to piggyback on my prior post, I really do see why some folks get frustrated with trying to post stuff here. Even on things that are glaringly, stupefyingly obvious, it’s a fight to get folks to concede anything that could be construed as a positive comment about the team or its direction. 

How is the statement that the offense has gotten faster from what we put on the field last season possibly something to push back so adamantly on? Replace Perine/Kelley with Derrius Guice. Replace Ryan Grant with Paul Richardson. Replace Cousins with Alex Smith. Potentially replace one of the big-bodied #5/#6 WRs with Trey Quinn. Hopefully replace 3/4 of a season of Niles Paul with Jordan Reed and 1/2 a season of not-Chris-Thompson with actual Chris Thompson. Hopefully replace injured Trent and injured Moses with healthy Trent and healthy Moses. 

That’s 8 spots at which we’ve got some hope to be at least marginally faster. You can agree that, with any luck, the offense will hopefully have more speed. It won’t kill you. It doesn’t mean you like the Redskins again or think they’re smart or believe they will be any good. It just means that you can objectively recognize that in this one narrow facet (speed) of this one isolated side of the ball (offense), they may have moved in a positive direction this offseason. 

Nominated for Post Of The Year Award. 

200w.webp

11 hours ago, oldman9er said:

All the history lessons and excess words are interesting, but the bottom line is what it is. Latching onto past grievances, and applying wounds of the past to the present just do not suit me.

At the same time, your attitude (which comes across as condescending) and dismissal of the situation is helping.

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

At the same time, your attitude (which comes across as condescending) and dismissal of the situation is helping.

Or, as we've constantly pointed out, being the new guy to the team telling us fans of 20+ years of misery how to act.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

That's not really fair. You are manufacturing an attitude I am not expressing. 

As "a new guy" here (certainly not to the game or FF), I am reading fans persistently dogging on their new QB.. which has never taken a snap on your team.. who had a great season last.. and is now on a team that clearly has talent when healthy. 

... and I have an "attitude".. because I am saddened.. that on a fan forum in late May.. many fans of this team have already grabbed for the pitchforks and Kleenex?

Is that really the interpretation being fabricated today? because that seems inaccurate and unfair to me. 

Just now, oldman9er said:

That's not really fair. You are manufacturing an attitude I am not expressing. 

I said your posting tone "comes across as." Whether you intended it or not, that's how I read it.

I tried to give you context as to why perhaps Alex Smith hasn't been given the hero's welcome independent of Alex Smith the player. You blew it off with a "[this] just does not suit me."

How am I supposed to avoid reading condescension from that? How am I the one manufacturing your attitude?

Just now, oldman9er said:

As "a new guy" here (certainly not to the game or FF), I am reading fans persistently dogging on their new QB.. which has never taken a snap on your team.. who had a great season last.. and is now on a team that clearly has talent when healthy. 

Because some of us didn't want the old QB to leave. Some of us are angry at the GM who created the situation where the old QB to leave. Some of us are angry at the GM because he's an idiot. Some of are angry at the GM for trading young talent and draft picks for a 35 year old quarterback. Some of us are angry at the GM because we don't think that the new QB is any better than the old QB, and fear that he might be worse. In this last case, it could be completely false, but it still registers.

Context matters.

You don't seem to recognize any of this. No, the way you've come across in multiple threads is with an apparent attitude that we're a bunch of naive, silly children who just don't know the glory that is the coming of Alex Smith.

Archived