Half Empty and Half Full

drfrey13

From what I have read most analyst do not know what to think about our team this year.  We had a great record but did we get lucky?  What could we have accomplished if Carr does not get hurt?  It can go both ways so I would like to hear three reasons why you are optimistic and three why you are pessimistic about this team.  I like to get the bad out of the way first so I will start there.

Pessimism:

1. Injuries: Even though the worst possible person got hurt at the worst time we were relatively injury free most of the year.  The only starting players to miss significant time were Lee Smith and Mario Edward JR.  

2. Our win column seemed a little inflated.  Are we that good with the game on the line?  We did have a few games were we scored to quick and gave the opponent time to come back against our questionable defense.  Also I still think that if we played against any other team in week 8 we lose.  Tampa Bay just wanted to lose more than we did.

3. Right up the middle of the D.  I have a hard time feeling confident in Jelly-Lee-Nelson.  I think we would not have a big drop off in play if any of them get hurt but that is more because of their weakness than in the strength of our backups. 

Outcome: 9-7 Just missing the playoffs

Optimism:

1.Mario Edwards Jr and Lee Smith coming back.  MEJ was such an important piece to this D.  I really do believe if he reaches his potential he is a Michael Bennett type player for us. Hopefully he can stay healthy and keep Ward off the field while he develops.  We missed Smith's blocking so much we had to line Kirkland up as a TE.  Problem is Smith is capable of making a first down catch if you fall asleep on him.  Kirkland was no such threat and really not an improvement in blocking either.

2. Even though the win column was probably inflated this is better team than last year.  Not only did we increase our talent pool but the main core from last year is still together.  All the players that left are good special teams players or average to below average players.  Only one I am scratching my head about is Riley.  Out of ten decisions I guess it is okay for RM to get one wrong.

3. Pagano:  I think he elevates the every player in the secondary by playing to their strengths because unlike KNJ he knows Xs and Os.  I highly doubt we see Smith line up in man coverage without safety help over the top on Cooks when we play the Patriots. IF MEJ provides that interior push and Pagano gets the secondary o the same page we could be one of the league leaders in sacks and interceptions with the pressure our O is going to put on the other team to score.

Outcome: 13-3 and at least a trip to the conference championship

I believe we will be 11-5 with a trip to the conference championship as long as we do not meet up with the Chiefs in the playoffs in Arrowhead.

12 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

From what I have read most analyst do not know what to think about our team this year.  We had a great record but did we get lucky?  What could we have accomplished if Carr does not get hurt?  It can go both ways so I would like to hear three reasons why you are optimistic and three why you are pessimistic about this team.  I like to get the bad out of the way first so I will start there.

Pessimism:

1. Injuries: Even though the worst possible person got hurt at the worst time we were relatively injury free most of the year.  The only starting players to miss significant time were Lee Smith and Mario Edward JR.  

2. Our win column seemed a little inflated.  Are we that good with the game on the line?  We did have a few games were we scored to quick and gave the opponent time to come back against our questionable defense.  Also I still think that if we played against any other team in week 8 we lose.  Tampa Bay just wanted to lose more than we did.

3. Right up the middle of the D.  I have a hard time feeling confident in Jelly-Lee-Nelson.  I think we would not have a big drop off in play if any of them get hurt but that is more because of their weakness than in the strength of our backups. 

Outcome: 9-7 Just missing the playoffs

Optimism:

1.Mario Edwards Jr and Lee Smith coming back.  MEJ was such an important piece to this D.  I really do believe if he reaches his potential he is a Michael Bennett type player for us. Hopefully he can stay healthy and keep Ward off the field while he develops.  We missed Smith's blocking so much we had to line Kirkland up as a TE.  Problem is Smith is capable of making a first down catch if you fall asleep on him.  Kirkland was no such threat and really not an improvement in blocking either.

2. Even though the win column was probably inflated this is better team than last year.  Not only did we increase our talent pool but the main core from last year is still together.  All the players that left are good special teams players or average to below average players.  Only one I am scratching my head about is Riley.  Out of ten decisions I guess it is okay for RM to get one wrong.

3. Pagano:  I think he elevates the every player in the secondary by playing to their strengths because unlike KNJ he knows Xs and Os.  I highly doubt we see Smith line up in man coverage without safety help over the top on Cooks when we play the Patriots. IF MEJ provides that interior push and Pagano gets the secondary o the same page we could be one of the league leaders in sacks and interceptions with the pressure our O is going to put on the other team to score.

Outcome: 13-3 and at least a trip to the conference championship

I believe we will be 11-5 with a trip to the conference championship as long as we do not meet up with the Chiefs in the playoffs in Arrowhead.

I think all the points you raise here are valid. We did probably win many more of the tighter games last year than a team would on average for sure, however, I think our team has clearly gotten better over the offseason (provided Penn plays of course). So I expect a slight drop off in the close games but also I don't think we'll be so bad as we were against Kansas and Denver. I'd expect an 11-5 season maybe 10-6 if we have a few injuries and we should really be winning the division if were honestly playing to our potential. I think Denver and San Diego could be middle of the road teams and Kansas as most expect will be our biggest rival - though I think we have the team to beat them this year and should.

I expect our secondary to improve, not just due to the extra chemistry but because we've hopefully added a little to the pass rush. I think Lynch could elevate the running game from good to great and I don't expect any kind of drop off from Carr who now has extra weapons in Cook and a fully healthy Roberts - respect to him for playing through what must have been a very painful injury last year. We have to be careful not to overrate some of our younger players who still need work but 11-5 seems a realistic expectation IMHO. Anything after that is knockout football and is all on the day...............

I think the Raiders can beat the chiefs and win the west. The two games against them where not ideal. They couldn't do what they wanted running the ball in the rain at the first game. Then Carr broke his finger and couldn't throw. There was also the angels in the out field pass. 

The Broncos are a weaker team. The loss of Son of Bum is huge. Sure they have talent but he took them to an elite level. Miller is another year older and they don't have a QB. Also gone is that running scheme. It wouldn't surprise me if they went 7-9 or worse. 

And the chargers...lol same story every year, potential that's gone because of injuries. 

Honestly the only team that can challenge them is the Patriots and even then I think we are closer to them then people give us credit for   

On 8/11/2017 at 4:23 AM, drfrey13 said:

What the offense looks like under Todd Downing will go a long way toward how I view the Raiders' chances this year. I wasn't digging what Bill Musgrave was doing, especially early in games. Hopefully we see an emphasis on deeper routes.

On 8/11/2017 at 9:05 AM, Chali21 said:

I think the Raiders can beat the chiefs and win the west. The two games against them where not ideal. They couldn't do what they wanted running the ball in the rain at the first game. Then Carr broke his finger and couldn't throw. There was also the angels in the out field pass. 

The Broncos are a weaker team. The loss of Son of Bum is huge. Sure they have talent but he took them to an elite level. Miller is another year older and they don't have a QB. Also gone is that running scheme. It wouldn't surprise me if they went 7-9 or worse. 

And the chargers...lol same story every year, potential that's gone because of injuries. 

Honestly the only team that can challenge them is the Patriots and even then I think we are closer to them then people give us credit for   

I agree with this I think we have the best team in the AFC West, that being said we have to do it on the field.

It's all about staying healthy...

Del Rio took A LOT of chances last season that mostly paid off. He believed in the team and Carr's ability to pull it out at the end.

Carr has probably improved and is motivated even with his payday in hand.

Mack needs some help on D but he's a BEAST and will still get to get his.

Cooper has probably improved. Crabs will not drop as many with Roberts healed and Patterson hoping to hit numbers making him a FA again

Lynch in decline is better than Murray so if Beast Mode isn't in decline then...WHOAAAA

Interior of Oline will all be Pro Bowlers this season. Penn will be back and young guys are getting needed reps. Newhouse will be as good as Howard was.

Defense needs playmakers besides Mack. Edwards if healthy is disruptive. Eddie looks like a player to watch. Calhoun and Cowser showing improvement to rotate and rest players. Autry hoping for a McGee season and Jelly looking better than last season. Ward injured so we shall see. Our LB's are young and learning with Irvin as a swiss army knife and the old guy of the group. Secondary got younger but we have yet to see the top 2 on the field. borders looking like he'll make 53. Amerson watching Smith's situation should inspire Amerson to improve. Smith and Nelson looking like steps have been lost but hopefully they'll step up before cuts. Both shouldn't be here next season.

Special Teams needs to find their guys, so this unit probably will not be as good.

Archived