Jon Bostic

Yes.  He is not a sexy LB pick for us, but he is very solid in tackling and in his ability to diagnose plays.  He is similar to Foote athletically (He is probably a little quicker), but also has a high football IQ like Foote.  He will rarely get out of position and will be disciplined in his play.  I have a feeling that he and Dirty Red will share some time together as Red is a disciplined ILB.  

The only problem he will have is the fact he is replacing Shazier who was all-world athletically.  Shazier could make up for plays with his speed and quickness.  Bostic can't do that, but he will be more disciplined and consistent than Shazier was as far as being in position and making plays. He should be our top tackler if he stays healthy. I think he will also surprise in his pass coverage.  He can't match up one on one like Shazier could (athletically), but he will drop well enough to pick off a pass or two like Timmons would do.

1 hour ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Yes.  He is not a sexy LB pick for us, but he is very solid in tackling and in his ability to diagnose plays.  He is similar to Foote athletically (He is probably a little quicker), but also has a high football IQ like Foote.  He will rarely get out of position and will be disciplined in his play.  I have a feeling that he and Dirty Red will share some time together as Red is a disciplined ILB.  

The only problem he will have is the fact he is replacing Shazier who was all-world athletically.  Shazier could make up for plays with his speed and quickness.  Bostic can't do that, but he will be more disciplined and consistent than Shazier was as far as being in position and making plays. He should be our top tackler if he stays healthy. I think he will also surprise in his pass coverage.  He can't match up one on one like Shazier could (athletically), but he will drop well enough to pick off a pass or two like Timmons would do.

I think the important thing to note here is, Bostic isn't going to replace Shazier. The defense is going to change fundamentally without Shazier. I can't imagine Butler and Tomlin will just have Bostic go out and try to do the things Shazier was doing for us. With an entire offseason to prepare for life after Shazier I think the coaching staff will get it figured out. 

I think that's why we emphasized communication and leadership with our acquisitions. They are going to change the defense. We can't rely on otherworldly athleticism now.  

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think the important thing to note here is, Bostic isn't going to replace Shazier. The defense is going to change fundamentally without Shazier. I can't imagine Butler and Tomlin will just have Bostic go out and try to do the things Shazier was doing for us. With an entire offseason to prepare for life after Shazier I think the coaching staff will get it figured out. 

I think that's why we emphasized communication and leadership with our acquisitions. They are going to change the defense. We can't rely on otherworldly athleticism now.  

Well Said.

For me, the Morgan Burnett signing is a lot like Hartings, he's going to finish out his career as a pro bowler. There's just too much to like about him. 

For me, Bostic reminds me of Ryan Clark kind of signing more than Farrior does, if you will. James Farrior was a miscast and he's just your classic professional Mike who can do everything on defense without being a superstar. 

Bostic is going to be really good like Ryan Clark that would be a better player with a much better Buck LB or tandem. I do have a feeling more of us will be pleased with Bostic because the expectation for Bostic right now is low and like Clark replacing Hope, they are changing the position, Shazier and Bostic both are very different players. 

Shazier, my opinion is a strictly a MACK, he wasn't never going to be a Buck. So, the Larry Foote comparison is warranted because Foote is actually an interchangeable ILB for us. He could play both Mack and Buck positions. 

Vince Williams isn't a bad player, but I do see him being upgraded next year, as we were this close to trade up for Evans (I don't know how close, but it wasn't for the Mack position) so, it shall be interesting as:

It's the reasons we got to monitor this Matthew Thomas player closely. He just might surprise us. You don't need the Buck to be a strictly communicating position, just got to be good in the zone and take up blocks. 

Conclusion; he's similar to Larry Foote but his situation is a lot like Ryan Clark.

Bostic isn't that good. no way he will be anywhere close to a James Farrior caliber of signing. it's much closer to an Arthur Moats type of signing.

Next year at this time, I fully expect to still need 2 new starting inside linebackers.

On 2018-05-21 at 9:55 AM, Steeler Hitman said:

I thought Foote was a solid ILB for us, but was about to throw something at the TV when he got in the way of Troy after that miraculous int Troy got vs the chargers :$ . This Bostic signing could be the key for this offseason, because that was a major problem after Shazier got hurt.   ILB  hurt us after the Shazier injury and at least the FO addressed this somewhat.  However, if he has injury history that continues here, then where does that leave us?  The FO's draft this year has us depending on people staying healthy or else we could be in a worse situation than the last half of last season.  

17 hours ago, Alex said:

For me, the Morgan Burnett signing is a lot like Hartings, he's going to finish out his career as a pro bowler. There's just too much to like about him. 

Funny that you brought up Ryan Clark because that is who I would compare this signing to.  Both players have high football IQ's and will be depended upon to be the communicators in the secondary.  Burnett has the ability to play multiple roles whereas Clark was very good at being the brains and intimidating force in the secondary.  I, at first, was not happy about this pick with players like Tre Boston and Eric Reid out there.  I understand what he brings to the table and can offer knowledge and experience wise.

For me, Bostic reminds me of Ryan Clark kind of signing more than Farrior does, if you will. James Farrior was a miscast and he's just your classic professional Mike who can do everything on defense without being a superstar. 

Upon a second reading, I don't think the comparison was as literal as we may have taken it. Farrior was a better athlete, etc who did not have success playing OLB for the Jets.  Bostic has been a consummate pro and has been pretty consistent, but not spectacular. He is a high character and high IQ guy.  In the words of Bubby Brister, "Write it down!"  I predict that he and Dirty Red become the starters inside before the eighth game or at the very least Dirty Red is taking snaps from Vince.  The only way I don't see this happening is if Vince comes in and just starts lighting it up. I don't see that, but I think Bostic and Red will work well together inside.

Bostic is going to be really good like Ryan Clark that would be a better player with a much better Buck LB or tandem. I do have a feeling more of us will be pleased with Bostic because the expectation for Bostic right now is low and like Clark replacing Hope, they are changing the position, Shazier and Bostic both are very different players. 

I agree with the point made earlier in another post that Bostic will not and cannot replace who and what Shazier was to our defense (athletically, versatile wise and big play ability).  However, I think that Bostic gives us consistency. I think many will be pleasantly surprised with Bostic.  Maybe there was some truth to  what Kevin Colbert said regarding the drop-off in their evaluation/opinion of ILB's after the two first rounders. 

Shazier, my opinion is a strictly a MACK, he wasn't never going to be a Buck. So, the Larry Foote comparison is warranted because Foote is actually an interchangeable ILB for us. He could play both Mack and Buck positions. 

Vince Williams isn't a bad player, but I do see him being upgraded next year, as we were this close to trade up for Evans (I don't know how close, but it wasn't for the Mack position) so, it shall be interesting as:

Again, I think Dirty Red will share some time here.  I also see Edmonds being a Dime MLB in some schemes.

It's the reasons we got to monitor this Matthew Thomas player closely. He just might surprise us. You don't need the Buck to be a strictly communicating position, just got to be good in the zone and take up blocks. 

I don't know much about him.  I could also see them moving O. Adenyeni inside as well.

Conclusion; he's similar to Larry Foote but his situation is a lot like Ryan Clark.

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

I thought Foote was a solid ILB for us, but was about to throw something at the TV when he got in the way of Troy after that miraculous int Troy got vs the chargers :$ .

LOL!!!!

This Bostic signing could be the key for this off-season, because that was a major problem after Shazier got hurt.   ILB  hurt us after the Shazier injury and at least the FO addressed this somewhat.  

I honestly believe that we were having ILB issues all season. The Bears gashed us early in the year with 200+ yards on the ground. Shazier was fast and could roam, but I saw him get blocked and put himself in bad position trying to over-compensate for others weaknesses at times as well. Steady isn't so bad, but we will probably lose the spectacular.

However, if he has injury history that continues here, then where does that leave us?  The FO's draft this year has us depending on people staying healthy or else we could be in a worse situation than the last half of last season.  

You can't predict injuries.  We are left with Dirty Red and Vince in the base and throw in some Burnett and Edmunds in specialty packages. We have to dance with who we have. Hopefully they can dance well. ;)

25 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

You can't predict injuries.  We are left with Dirty Red and Vince in the base and throw in some Burnett and Edmunds in specialty packages. We have to dance with who we have. Hopefully they can dance well. ;)

As much I like Red, I feel like he's Zach Thomas 2.0 (not a bad thing) you would be replacing a really good pass rushing ILB with an intellectual Mike. If our pass rushing was more consistent and better I may like this move.

I hope you guys are right about Matakevich but I’m not seeing it. He’s been a demon on special teams but he’s been awful on defense. He had a bunch of tackles in the Miami game a few years ago but they were not quality. He seems way too slow to be helpful consistently on defense.

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I hope you guys are right about Matakevich but I’m not seeing it. He’s been a demon on special teams but he’s been awful on defense. He had a bunch of tackles in the Miami game a few years ago but they were not quality. He seems way too slow to be helpful consistently on defense.

i thought his lack of speed could be what costs him a roster spot. This could be the year they decide to keep 5 OLB do ILB might be the area they have less than usual and Red out be the odd person out. :o

6 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Red is our current best Buck on the roster, that's not saying much. Vince Williams is a decent buck- but we all know he's a pass-rushing inside linebacker. I suspect they are just giving him first-team reps to see what he's capable of right now. If we were to pair up Williams and Red, I'd expect MORE pass rushing from our OLBs. 

11 minutes ago, Alex said:

Red is our current best Buck on the roster, that's not saying much. Vince Williams is a decent buck- but we all know he's a pass-rushing inside linebacker. I suspect they are just giving him first-team reps to see what he's capable of right now. If we were to pair up Williams and Red, I'd expect MORE pass rushing from our OLBs. 

If we paired Vince Williams and Tyler Matakevich our defense would get demolished. Short passes and outside runs would kill us. 

45 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

If we paired Vince Williams and Tyler Matakevich our defense would get demolished. Short passes and outside runs would kill us. 

Exactly which is why I was actually surprised to see Red getting the first-team reps at a different position. Something's up. 

On 5/22/2018 at 2:35 PM, Alex said:

As much I like Red, I feel like he's Zach Thomas 2.0 (not a bad thing) you would be replacing a really good pass rushing ILB with an intellectual Mike. If our pass rushing was more consistent and better I may like this move.

Because the game is so situational/substitutions/match-ups, we could pick our times for this. Obviously Dirty Red would not be ideal in the Nickel or Dime. However, there are some occasions in early downs that he could help the running game.  Our OLB's need to improve setting the edge as well.  If you take away the ability to get wide, your ILB's should be gobbling up tacklers.  Watt and Bud should improve in this area this year.

On 5/22/2018 at 3:12 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

Some of the same things were said about Sean Lee being too small and slow if I recall. Many of us still liked him and were pissed the Steelers passed on him.  Matakevich is a 7th rounder, which means that it will take time for him to develop.  His positives are that he is intelligent and tough.  His flaws are that he does not have straight line speed, "perfect NFL quickness" and needs to get stronger.  This is year three and I sincerely believe the light bulb will come on this year.  How bright it shines will be determined by his play.  The same things said about Dirty Red were said about his current ILB Coach Jerry Olsavsky.  Jerry O was a decent pro despite having similar characteristics as Dirty Red (except Jerry O's supporting cast was stronger).

On 5/22/2018 at 5:54 PM, 3rivers said:

i thought his lack of speed could be what costs him a roster spot. This could be the year they decide to keep 5 OLB do ILB might be the area they have less than usual and Red out be the odd person out. :o

I may be in the minority here, but I would prefer him over Vince Williams.  Here's why:

Dirty Red is an ace on special teams

Dirty Red knows the defense and can call plays better than Vince Williams

While I think Vince is currently a better ILB than Dirty Red, I think Vince has also hit his ceiling and Red's ceiling may be slightly higher.

Vince Willams did an outstanding job blitzing and generating pass rush up the middle. His ability to time the blitz was the best that I had seen since the days of James Potsey Farrior and Larry Foote.  He will provide a decent thump on you at times as well.

Great blitzing aside, I was very disappointed overall in what I saw from Vince last year. He was average to below average in other areas in my opinion.

I think Dirty Red is ready to move past Vince this year. We will see.

Archived