Top 10 NFL rookies that will exceed expectations?

Luckycolts

16 hours ago, Luckycolts said:

Best rookie WR is gonna be Ridley just because of the system and compliments he has. Watch him shine 

I don't understand how you can say Callaway is not going to produce because he's the offense's 4th option, I think Ridley is going to be in a similar boat year 1. 

On 5/24/2018 at 5:12 PM, DreamKid said:

Unless the injury bug gets us again, he'll be buried on the Raven's depth chart. Smith, Humphrey, Young, Carr, and Canady are all going to be in front of him. The team is loaded at corner. In the long run though, I hope you're right.

I definitely thought he was taken by the Jets for some reason 0.o

2 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

I don't understand how you can say Callaway is not going to produce because he's the offense's 4th option, I think Ridley is going to be in a similar boat year 1. 

Ridley is a 1st round pick on a team with a qb who routinely throws for over a 1000 yards more than Tyrod Taylor, and he only needs to beat out Sanu (who should be a slot wr anyway) for the #2 spot on the depth chart. What's hard to understand here?

55 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Ridley is a 1st round pick on a team with a qb who routinely throws for over a 1000 yards more than Tyrod Taylor, and he only needs to beat out Sanu (who should be a slot wr anyway) for the #2 spot on the depth chart. What's hard to understand here?

Yea it's the reason why I didnt include Callaway on my list. So many new faces, bad influence with Gordon who probably his mentor now, new QB, new offense. And......its the browns. 

Here's 10 guys who can outperform expectations in their rookie seasons based on talent/opportunity:

* Nyheim Hines (RB) - Colts (Pick 104)

A speedy back, that's a little more than just a space player. With an unproven Marlon Mack ahead of him, there's going to be an opportunity for touches regardless with his ability out of the backfield. 

* Wyatt Teller (OG) - Bills (Pick 166)

The Bills are going to need to run the football well this season and run blocking is something Teller did well at VT. With Vlad Ducasse to beat out, there's an opportunity for him to push for a starting role early

* Colby Gossett (OG) - Vikings (Pick 213)

The Vikings resisted the opportunity to land an interior blocker early, but managed to pick up Gossett who was a big scorer in PFF grades and performed well at the Senior Bowl. With no obvious starter at the guard spots, there's an opportunity for him to start at some point

* Parry Nickerson (CB) - Jets (Pick 179)

He was one of my favorite slot corners in the draft, fast and real feisty. He'll have to beat out Buster Skrine for the nickel spot, but he's got a chance to outperform his 6th round selection early on. 

* Skyler Phillips (OG) - Seahawks (UDFA)

I had an early 3rd day grade on Phillips, he's got light feet and surprising power and that should play well on a roster that still doesn't know who its best starting five are going to be. Pete Carroll's ethos is to give everyone an equal chance to compete and that could open the door for Phillips.

* Nick Nelson (CB) - Raiders (Pick 110)

Nelson had an excellent college career at Hawaii and then Wisconsin, he's not outrageously gifted athletically - but he's smart and savvy. The latter tends to play better in the NFL, at least early on. If he's able to recover from his meniscus tear, he's talented enough to carve a role on a thin DB roster.  

* DJ Reed (CB) - 49ers (Pick 142)

Another slot corner on a team that will be trying to figure out what its best combinations are going to be at the back end. Small, but a consistent danger to take the ball away - he can impress early in the slot. Failing that, he can become the team's punt returner early. 

* Tregay (LB) Scales - Rams (UDFA)

I had an early day three grade on Scales, who was an important leader on his Indiana defense. Perhaps his athletic testing dropped him out of the draft altogether, but the tape is really solid. He's got a good all-round game, can line up at a number of spots and there are opportunities to impress at inside linebacker in LA this year. 

* Genard Avery (LB/Edge) - Browns (Pick 150)

A missile in the run game at Memphis, he's got the ability to change down and become an outside rusher on obvious passing downs too. On a defense where competition for places are very much in play, he's a useful weapon to have around. 

* Matthew Thomas (LB) - Steelers (UDFA)

A superb athlete who led FSU in tackles last season. The Steelers don't have a huge range of athletic skills at inside linebacker, but something Thomas does have is speed and range. That alone could lead him to get on field time if he can impress. 

On 5/26/2018 at 1:20 PM, Jeezla said:

I guess we disagree on who is more talented, and if Callaway didn't have all those off-field issues, he would've went before Ridley. 

45 minutes ago, YogiBiz said:

I guess we disagree on who is more talented, and if Callaway didn't have all those off-field issues, he would've went before Ridley. 

It's not about talent so much as situation. 

On 5/27/2018 at 12:15 PM, BleedTheClock said:

The Colts are in much worse shape than the Browns are in right now. Bite your tongue, sir. I just hung up on your GM--he was cold-calling people to start at cornerback this season.

So you said all that just to say we don’t have a Corner? You know who Quincy Wilson is? Pierre Desir? I mean they aren’t stars yet but they’ll get the job done. Browns had one 0-16 season, coach promised them it’ll never happen again on live TV and proceeded to have another 0-16 season. Just cause they look good on paper doesn’t mean anything. But you’re just another one that’ll be proven wrong, I’ll make sure I remember you 

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

It's not about talent so much as situation. 

So you're sitting here trying to tell me a receiver is more talented, and has one player who caught 112 passes in front of him for less 9 YPA, oh btw this guy is/has always been primarily a slot receiver, then he only has to beat out Corey Coleman (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA) and Ricardo Louis (this doesn't even deserve the energy it would waster to laugh, but then why did I type all this out if I wanted to save energy? English Idioms are so weird) for the spot opposite Gordon (who isn't much a threat to keep #1 receiver job IMO). David Njoku is probably the biggest non-Landry threat to steal Callaway's targets. So you think this situation is better than what the Falcons have in their passing attack? With Jones, Sanu, and Hooper each being real threats to Ridley's production. Talking about situation. 

1 hour ago, Luckycolts said:

So you said all that just to say we don’t have a Corner? You know who Quincy Wilson is? Pierre Desir? I mean they aren’t stars yet but they’ll get the job done. Browns had one 0-16 season, coach promised them it’ll never happen again on live TV and proceeded to have another 0-16 season. Just cause they look good on paper doesn’t mean anything. But you’re just another one that’ll be proven wrong, I’ll make sure I remember you 

The Colts are bad, when Quincy Wilson is your best option (no offense to him cause he has potential), then go on to name drop Pierre Desir, you have no legitimate talent at corner. We're talking about two different teams, when comparing the Browns from last year to the Browns of this upcoming year. 

Hey lets not forget that two of your top 4 RB's are well under 200lbs. And your only receiver of note is Hilton, but hey Deon Cain might impress for you. Also your most talented player at the position is either Robert Turbin/Marlon Mack. You finally addressed one position on the horrible offensive line, and think your team is fixed. Without Luck, I doubt The Colts are a 6 win team. 

2 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

So you're sitting here trying to tell me a receiver is more talented, and has one player who caught 112 passes in front of him for less 9 YPA, oh btw this guy is/has always been primarily a slot receiver, then he only has to beat out Corey Coleman (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA) and Ricardo Louis (this doesn't even deserve the energy it would waster to laugh, but then why did I type all this out if I wanted to save energy? English Idioms are so weird) for the spot opposite Gordon (who isn't much a threat to keep #1 receiver job IMO). David Njoku is probably the biggest non-Landry threat to steal Callaway's targets. So you think this situation is better than what the Falcons have in their passing attack? With Jones, Sanu, and Hooper each being real threats to Ridley's production. Talking about situation. 

As a Falcons fan the only receiver who will get more looks than Ridley without a doubt is Julio.  Ridley will out target Hooper and I feel he beats out Sanu as well as Sanu will work out of the slot. 

Callaway will be behind Gordon and Landry at the very least in terms of targets.

Add in the QBs and Ridley is in a much better situation and therefore will have a more productive rookie season. This is coming from someone who has Callaway has a top 15 player in this class. 

Archived