Eagles cut Kendricks **8/29 Update; charged w Insider Trading

Scalamania

4 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

They released Kendricks because he was making too much. They are not going to bring in another expensive LB. They don't value that position enough.

Bradham Hicks and Nelson will be the starters. Another depth LB would be useful to pick up, but they have time to find that guy

And what if Hicks gets hurt in TC or Preaseason (which is more likely to happen than not to happen)? Do they still have time to find that guy? Nate Gerry and Geiger are glorified ST players, not True LB's.

Just now, Jeezla said:

And what if Hicks gets hurt in TC or Preaseason, which is more likely to happen than not happen? Do they still have time to find that guy?

Yes. They don't play a game until September. There will be cut roster cut downs, players for trade an street free agents. There is no lack of guys.

This team made the Super Bowl with Najee Goode on the roster. LB's really aren't that important

2 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Yes. They don't play a game until September. There will be cut roster cut downs, players for trade an street free agents. There is no lack of guys.

This team made the Super Bowl with Najee Goode on the roster. LB's really aren't that important

LB's are very important. Maybe not when you play Tom Brady, but against every other team that dpends on a run game they help a lot.

1 minute ago, Jeezla said:

LB's are very important. Maybe not when you play Tom Brady, but against every other team they help a lot.

Not really. It's more and more of a passing league. Eagles barely play with 3 LB's anymore.

They can find depth players it is still super early. Nobody is lining up to play a game that matters for like 3-4 months. 

4 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

914349858-super-bowl-lii-philadelphia-ea

Where is the photo of Mychal holding up the trophy?

And, I give him the benefit of the doubt plenty, but he's not beyond criticism.

Unless there's something we don't know about with Kendricks this is an odd decision.

Maybe he turns water into wine with the money he saved and I wonder why I ever doubted him. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Odd timing, yes. Odd decision, no. Until we see the other shoe drop. Unless Howie was working on a deal this whole offseason, which is probable. But everyone saw this coming from the jump. Paying a player that kind of money to play 20% of the snaps is a waste of valuable resources. 

Was Kendricks a scrub? No. Was he worth his money? No. Is he easily replaceable? Yes. The move is just about as inconsequential as you can make releasing one of your "starters". Our nickel is our third LB and that will continue until the league stops passing, which is never. 

Y'all remember how the Hicks injury forced us into having to play Jenkins and McLeod out of position last year cause Malcolm had to act a lot as like a quasi linebacker which isn't his forte?

Yall remember us trying to use Ellerbe and Goode to not so good results?

Kendricks stepping up last year and having one of his best seasons was huge for us. 

I've wanted him to be replaced like it was coming at some point, but I'm not sure now was the time for it. If we drafted a top LB in this draft, then I would understand it more.

The Hicks injury history is a concern but that's why we paid Bradham all the money. Hicks goes down and Nigel will assume the role with Nelson in tandem. With the DL getting so much attention, our LBs are really free to clean up. And they do it well. The LBs are one of my least worrisome positions. 

Just my personal preference but if Hankins comes on board and basically assumes the Jernigan contract then this worked out swimmingly.  

2 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Y'all remember how the Hicks injury forced us into having to play Jenkins and McLeod out of position last year cause Malcolm had to act a lot as like a quasi linebacker which isn't his forte?

Yall remember us trying to use Ellerbe and Goode to not so good results?

Kendricks stepping up last year and having one of his best seasons was huge for us. 

I've wanted him to be replaced like it was coming at some point, but I'm not sure now was the time for it. If we drafted a top LB in this draft, then I would understand it more.

Hicks and Bradham are versatile LBs that can do most what you ask LBs. Kendricks, Ellerbe and Goode can not. They def had to get a little more creative with the subs and packages because those guys were so limited after the Hicks injury.  Also why you saw the safety's drop into coverage spots at the line. Kendricks is a good athlete that can't cover. He can make up for some of his mistakes but mostly he's going to get you killed. If you let him fly around, he'll make some plays. But when he has to play disciplined he gets exposed. The defensive playmakers are on the DL and in the S position. Everyone else just needs to stay in their lane and play their role. Kendricks wasn't and isn't a good fit in this scheme. He has value but much more as a blitzer or free lancer. 

5 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Paying a player that kind of money to play 20% of the snaps

The contract isn't even THAT bad anymore with how contracts have risen in years since we signed him.

He played closer to 28% of the snaps in 2015, but you're expecting Bradham and Hicks (mainly) to stay healthy to result in that outcome.

Nelson has pretty much been a special teams player for his career with limited playing experience. Kendricks was actually a good starting outside linebacker last year.  

14 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Is he easily replaceable? Yes.

That's only if he's hardly on the field cause Hicks and Bradham both stay healthy. 

Just now, Jroc04 said:

Hicks and Bradham are versatile LBs that can do most what you ask LBs. Kendricks, Ellerbe and Goode can not. They def had to get a little more creative with the subs and packages because those guys were so limited after the Hicks injury.  Also why you saw the safety's drop into coverage spots at the line. Kendricks is a good athlete that can't cover. He can make up for some of his mistakes but mostly he's going to get you killed. If you let him fly around, he'll make some plays. But when he has to play disciplined he gets exposed. The defensive playmakers are on the DL and in the S position. Everyone else just needs to stay in their lane and play their role. Kendricks wasn't and isn't a good fit in this scheme. He has value but much more as a blitzer or free lancer. 

I agree he could be better utilized in another scheme, but he still was a good player last year.

Archived