Running Backs rated 27th in league

James Lofton

4 hours ago, Siv said:

I’m fine with the ranking and whatnot but the write up is just poor and appears to be written by someone with next to no knowledge of our running backs. 

That's because it's true. I'm sure he didn't know them, he googled their stats, probably checked PFF, then he wrote about them lol

15 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

While I agree on the unproven part, I think you are underselling the group. It's not like they were being cycled out arbitrarily due to performance. It was mostly because of injury. Monty was dealing with the rib issue a good chunk of the season and AJones had the sprained MCL. At the end of the day, their production is what matters, and the GB group essentially matched the CHI group on a per-attempt basis. 

Monty/Jones/Williams= 305 att, 1277y (4.19y/a), 11TD, :: 57/83, 457y, 3 TD, 0 fum
Howard/Cohen======= 363 att, 1492y (4.11y/a), 11TD, :: 76/103, 478y, 1 TD, 4 fum

We'll have to a agree to disagree.  I'd rather have a good lead back then have to have 3 guys who's combined production is that of a lead back.  

As a runner, Monty started the season of terrible having well below 4 YPC in all 3 of his games prior to the injury and less than 3 YPC in two of them.  He's pretty clear a WR in the backfield that isn't all that quality or consistent of a runner.  Monty injured his ribs and Williams replaced him.  Williams wasn't anything special with his less than 3 YPC clip and seemed to continue the struggles he was having earlier in the year and in the preseason when he was less than a 2.5 yard per carry back.  Jones came in and looked better than both Monty and Williams.  He had a couple really good games and a couple very mediocre ones.  

Outside of Jones 2 impressive games, I'm not sure what is so exciting about Monty and Williams.  Williams got a ton of carries yet had just one game on the year where he managed to exceed 4 yards per clip.  He's a plodder who's going to need a massive amount of touches to provide any sort of positive production.  A lot like Lacy but not nearly as talented IMO.  

58 minutes ago, SSG said:

Outside of Jones 2 impressive games, I'm not sure what is so exciting about Monty and Williams.  Williams got a ton of carries yet had just one game on the year where he managed to exceed 4 yards per clip.  He's a plodder who's going to need a massive amount of touches to provide any sort of positive production.  A lot like Lacy but not nearly as talented IMO.  

I think Williams was running with more authority and confidence as the year wore on and I'm hopeful that growth will continue this year. No question Jones is the quicker, more elusive RB - but Williams seemed to get a handle of waiting / setting up his blocks much better towards the end of the year.

Only 10 running backs had more 20 yard runs than Aaron Jones and the guy only had 81 carries, that's ridiculous.  He's going to be a beast if he stays healthy.  I don't hate the ranking just because our guys are unproven long term but I doubt it'll hold by the end of the season.

5 hours ago, Stevein2012 said:

Only 10 running backs had more 20 yard runs than Aaron Jones and the guy only had 81 carries, that's ridiculous.  He's going to be a beast if he stays healthy.  I don't hate the ranking just because our guys are unproven long term but I doubt it'll hold by the end of the season.

McCarthy seems to expedite the process of running RBs into the ground.  They eventually all go, but health has been a major problem for every RB since around the time that Rodgers took over.  Even the backups.

On 5/24/2018 at 9:55 AM, SSG said:

We'll have to a agree to disagree.  I'd rather have a good lead back then have to have 3 guys who's combined production is that of a lead back.  

As a runner, Monty started the season of terrible having well below 4 YPC in all 3 of his games prior to the injury and less than 3 YPC in two of them.  He's pretty clear a WR in the backfield that isn't all that quality or consistent of a runner.  Monty injured his ribs and Williams replaced him.  Williams wasn't anything special with his less than 3 YPC clip and seemed to continue the struggles he was having earlier in the year and in the preseason when he was less than a 2.5 yard per carry back.  Jones came in and looked better than both Monty and Williams.  He had a couple really good games and a couple very mediocre ones.  

Well, if you are going to bring up YPC numbers, lets look at Howard last year;

http://www.nfl.com/player/jordanhoward/2555418/gamelogs

In 11 games last year Jordan Howard averaged 4 or less ypc.

In 5 games he was held under 3 YPC.

In only 3 games, Howard averaged 5 yards per attempt.

That is pretty meh

I'll just say, reiterate, Howard is solid. He isn't a special player though. 2 star recruit. He doesn't do anything exceptionally, just is a solid runner who has been durable/dependable. We are getting Chicago's production from our 3 guys already without "the man" in the backfield.

As a GB fan I don't hate the RB situation, but let's be real here.  From an outsiders perspective, the GB backfield is led by two lowish round picks heading into their 2nd year.  The guy with the most upside missed significant time last season with knee issues.  Along with Jones and Williams, we have Monty.  An injury prone WR converted to an injury prone RB.  Can anyone claim to be surprised that an outsider would view the GB backfield as a huge question mark? The ranking seems pretty much in line with what I would expect.

While I agree with the rating, as there are a lot of unknowns with our running back group given their lack of experience in the NFL an their injury history, I wouldn't read too much into last year's stats.

The season started out with significant issues with the offensive line, and then the first time the line gets healthy they lose Aaron Rodgers.  Then the whole Martellus Bennett issue hindered leaning on the run game due to weakness at tight end.  The offense never really had a chance to get stability and build on success. 

I have to think that as a pass first team, now that we have added a solid blocking tight to go with three guys ( Monty, Jones, and Williams) who while they may not be pro bowl type players can do a decent job running the ball, we will be good enough at the position to have a very successful offense.

On 5/25/2018 at 12:32 PM, pacman5252 said:

That is pretty meh

I'll just say, reiterate, Howard is solid. He isn't a special player though. 2 star recruit. He doesn't do anything exceptionally, just is a solid runner who has been durable/dependable. We are getting Chicago's production from our 3 guys already without "the man" in the backfield.

Scouts said that Howard was the best pure runner in a draft class which featured Elliott.  They had a rookie QB with no receivers, his production was simply a product of a predictable one-dimensional offense.  Howard averaged over 5 YPC in his rookie season, and has had two 1k seasons to his name already.  He's clearly a few cuts above any of our RBs.

On 5/25/2018 at 1:32 PM, pacman5252 said:

That is pretty meh

Who cares about how star recruit he is? Aaron Rodgers wasn't recruited by any major colleges coming out of High School, are we to look down on him because of it?  I'll reiterate.  Only Levon Bell has been a better runner since Howard has joined the league.  Historically, he's been the most productive RB in the Bears long history in his first 2 seasons.  

You are right.  Currently, we need 3 roster spots to outproduce Chicago's Howard. Its a lot like Chicago's WR core.  Just because they're top 3 WRs outproduced Adams doesn't mean I'd rather have the trio.  

11 minutes ago, SSG said:

You are right.  Currently, we need 3 roster spots to outproduce Chicago's Howard. Its a lot like Chicago's WR core.  Just because they're top 3 WRs outproduced Adams doesn't mean I'd rather have the trio.  

I think you are right in that Howard is certainly a talented productive back, and a valuable asset to the Bears. 

In some ways though there is risk because if Howard gets injured, I am not sure that Tarik Cohen can cover the load that Howard carries.

The thing about our trio, is even with the injuries at running back, injuries on the offensive line, and a dysfunctional QB situation, by having three options we could still maintain essentially the same yds per carry overall for our primary backs as Howard and Cohen did.  Running back by committee doesn't impress anybody, but it provides a bit of insurance against injury to any one player, something you don't get with a bell cow model.

Get our OL figured out, get Rodgers back, and we will be good enough at running back.  

3 hours ago, SSG said:

Who cares about how star recruit he is? Aaron Rodgers wasn't recruited by any major colleges coming out of High School, are we to look down on him because of it?  I'll reiterate.  Only Levon Bell has been a better runner since Howard has joined the league.  Historically, he's been the most productive RB in the Bears long history in his first 2 seasons.  

It still shows how athletic he is. He was a 5th round pick. He isn’t a plus athlete by any means.

I think we’ll have to agree to disagree. I’d rather have 3 guy who can produce if needed to, at the position with the most injury risk than one

On 5/27/2018 at 11:30 AM, Patriotplayer90 said:

Scouts said that Howard was the best pure runner in a draft class which featured Elliott.  They had a rookie QB with no receivers, his production was simply a product of a predictable one-dimensional offense.  Howard averaged over 5 YPC in his rookie season, and has had two 1k seasons to his name already.  He's clearly a few cuts above any of our RBs.

I read that too on nfl.com. You can find positive things about most prospects in their draft profile. Example James Starks was a “late round one” talent with injury concerns. I’d take “scouts say” with a grain of salt. Howard was a 5th rounder

Archived