Jets trade Christian Hackenberg to the Raiders (update raiders cut Hackenberg)

49erurtaza

A lot of people are attacking this guy based on what they thought of him coming out. But can anyone say with a straight face that he got a fair shake in NY? It seemed like an instant disconnect between the coaching staff and FO. They didn't even make much effort to get him on the field during the pre-season. 91 passes in two years.

A lot of the same people trashing him will talk up some other prospect, but only if he's given time to mature and get coached up.

6 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

A lot of people are attacking this guy based on what they thought of him coming out. But can anyone say with a straight face that he got a fair shake in NY? It seemed like an instant disconnect between the coaching staff and FO. They didn't even make much effort to get him on the field during the pre-season. 91 passes in two years.

A lot of the same people trashing him will talk up some other prospect, but only if he's given time to mature and get coached up.

No real insight here, but I'd guess if he showed  ability in practice he'd have gotten more reps. If there was a disconnect as you say, then that's a different story. Does seem odd he did get a longer look in game situation.

29 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

No real insight here, but I'd guess if he showed  ability in practice he'd have gotten more reps. If there was a disconnect as you say, then that's a different story. Does seem odd he did get a longer look in game situation.

I feel like a disconnect between a FO/coach is a recipe for disaster. 

He was consistently outplayed by Bryce Petty. Got a ton of first team reps in camp last year and looked terrible. Then continued to suck in PS. He got his chances. Would I have played him in one of the final weeks last season? Yeah. But I understand why they didn’t. He’s abysmal

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

He was consistently outplayed by Bryce Petty. Got a ton of first team reps in camp last year and looked terrible. Then continued to suck in PS. He got his chances. Would I have played him in one of the final weeks last season? Yeah. But I understand why they didn’t. He’s abysmal

He was a bit of a developmental project coming out. He's only 23. Sounds like they didn't work with him by his own account. Did the Jets ever buy into him? Was there a disconnect with the FO and coaches on him? I'm genuinely curious how the Jets handled him. They are not exactly known as a team that develops QB talent. 

Raiders perspective, they give up nothing unless he's on the roster. So worth a shot to see if they can tap into him. 

9 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

I mean, if people (myself included) thought low of him coming out, and he couldn't even come close to sniffing a start on the New York Jets, that's pretty reinforcing. He certainly hasn't done anything to change anyone's opinion for him as a football player for the better.

And honestly - do you really think if Hackenberg showed some kind of - no, any kind of promise during practice he would've not been giving more opportunities? The Jets were desperate for a QB, they were the best chance he had to earn starting time by a mile over the course of his short career and he couldn't even do enough to earn a start over Bryce Petty.

47 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

He was a bit of a developmental project coming out. He's only 23. Sounds like they didn't work with him by his own account. Did the Jets ever buy into him? Was there a disconnect with the FO and coaches on him? I'm genuinely curious how the Jets handled him. They are not exactly known as a team that develops QB talent. 

Raiders perspective, they give up nothing unless he's on the roster. So worth a shot to see if they can tap into him. 

It’s definitely a shot worth taking for the Raiders. If he doesn’t look promising, cut him and you don’t even lose a draft pick. For the Jets, he was behind Teddy, Darnold and McCown. We have two QBs 25 and under that have more promise than Hack.  No need to keep him around.

In terms of how we handled him, Bowles gave him a chance to compete for the job like he does all his rookies. Some of his rookies end up playing early some don’t. They have to earn their spot. I just think Hack was way overdrafted. At best he and Petty are backup QBs. Petty has a likelier chance to stick as a backup.

2016 preseason attempts: Petty (56), Hack (47), Geno (32), Fitzmagic (29). Petty had some decent deep passes to Anderson and Hack didn’t play well at all. 

2017 preseason attempts: Hack (74), Petty (48), McCown (12). The Jets gave their two young QBs every opportunity to win the job but they didn’t take it. Petty played ok. Hack played better than he did in 2016 but still worse than Petty. But both still got beat out by McCown.

2017 season: Petty got a 4 game audition and just didn’t play well. He blamed his bad accuracy on his feet. Hack didn’t see the field.

12 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Why the heck was he ever drafted in the top-100?

Well, all jokes aside, he had a really strong freshman year at PSU - and then basically got swallowed up by the whole fallout from O'Brien's departure and the sanctions on the PSU team basically left him on an island.   Remember, he came out of HS thought of as a highly accurate, strong-armed pro-style QB, and his freshman year under O'Brien, he really looked the part - he was the Big 10 Freshman of the Year and 5x he was freshman of the week.

Then 2014-15 happened.   Not just bad mechanics, but zero growth as a QB mentally.   The thing is, he showed so much success under O'Brien in 2013, that people thought he could be fixed.  I will readily admit I thought he'd be a good Day 3 project.    Going early Rd 2 was way too expensive for my taste, however.   

The problem with Hackenberg is that it's not just mechanics, it's everything.    As @Thelonebillsfan points out, he doesn't read D's or work through progressions at all, and his pocket awareness is really bad.   I mean, it looked bad in preseason - when guys shine who have no ability to play in the reg. season.   Add mechanical issues...and man, it's a good lesson to what 3-4 bad years can do.  

21 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

They announced his rookie season as a redshirt year. I don’t think there was any “disconnect” or anything of that nature. Bowles loves playing his veteran QBs obviously, but they saw Petty as the better player. The most logical conclusion is they just didn’t like what they saw at all, by most accounts he was awful even in practice. 

I guess you could say he didn’t get a fair shot in the sense he never got an actual start in a game. Which he should of, but nothing would of changed.

10 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

Over the last two years combined, he got the most pass attempts by a Jets QB in preseason and last year he had the most.

Using Fox Sports for stats, he had 121 attempts. Compare that to Goff 81 and Wentz 47 over the same time period. 

20 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Over the last two years combined, he got the most pass attempts by a Jets QB in preseason and last year he had the most.

Using Fox Sports for stats, he had 121 attempts. Compare that to Goff 81 and Wentz 47 over the same time period. 

The thing is, he looked really bad there in most of those snaps.   Forget accuracy, read progression & recognition were slow, and pocket awareness wasn't good at all.   And that's with vanilla preseason D's. 

Maybe it's just overthinking and nerves, but man, that's not good.   So many journeyman-type QB's look like world-beaters in the preseason.   Looking bad in the preseason is an ominous sign.   Now maybe it's just his confidence is shot, and he's overthinking it - but whatever it is, he's not just a physical mess.    

For the Raiders, it's basically zero-risk.   A conditional 7th is nothing.  But it's just that bad for Hack's outlook.    At least in the other raw-project types who got drafted, you have the possibility of showing growth.   The problem is that Hack hasn't just been showing 0 growth for 2 years, it was 0 growth after 2 years combined with 2 years of major regression in college.    Again, 2+ years ago I thought he'd be worth a Day 3 pick to see if those freshman skills could be unearthed.   He's only 23, so it's not impossible.  But his trajectory is going the wrong way, with no change in sight.   I get why ppl are more excited about other guys - it's like DEN & Lynch.    Fans in DEN are basically all rooting for anyone but Lynch to be our backup now (Chad Kelly, the latest guy).   Maybe the new guy isn't any better than Lynch - but we know Lynch hasn't shown any progress, and his flat learning curve is really problematic after 2 seasons.   At least the new guy, you have the hope he would progress at a faster rate than Lynch has.   You can pretty much apply the same principle to Hack (except somehow Hack looked even worse than Lynch has in preseason - which is saying something).   At least the Jets didn't spend a late 1st (or worse, trade up for that late 1st).

Archived