Jets trade Christian Hackenberg to the Raiders (update raiders cut Hackenberg)

49erurtaza

As a Penn State fan who NEVER liked him, I called it from a mile away.    Said he was a late round selection at best, while, for some reason, alot of people claimed he was a worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick....despite at no point during his college career did he ever look notably better than many QBs who go undrafted.

Just boggles my mind that he was EVER viewed as a early round pick by ANYONE.   

1 minute ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Anyone else buying this whole thing that Hackenberg didnt get a fair shake and the CBA has ruined his chances?

It does seem like developing quarterbacks has become an issue at the NFL level, but I'll be honest, is it really any different than it was in the 1980's? Maybe teams were at one time more patient with quarterbacks, but it's not like you can go back to the olden days and see 24 all pro type quarterbacks playing, so I doubt that there is a considerable difference overall, just feels that way. Perhaps due to more media coverage and the like, I don't know. But no, I don't really buy the CBA excuse. 

The thing is, it's really so hard to tell about why guys flop and succeed. Is it because they are "developed", or because at some point the quarterbacks themselves as individuals just get it and have the physical talent to succeed? Was Elvis Grbac (an 8th round pick, I believe) developed? Or was he just a mis evaluated as a college player and "got it" at the NFL level enough to turn into a competent starter? LIS, if you go back prior to the CBA, it's not like teams were constantly developing all pro style quarterbacks or something. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

It does seem like developing quarterbacks has become an issue at the NFL level, but I'll be honest, is it really any different than it was in the 1980's? Maybe teams were at one time more patient with quarterbacks, but it's not like you can go back to the olden days and see 24 all pro type quarterbacks playing, so I doubt that there is a considerable difference overall, just feels that way. Perhaps due to more media coverage and the like, I don't know. But no, I don't really buy the CBA excuse. 

The thing is, it's really so hard to tell about why guys flop and succeed. Is it because they are "developed", or because at some point the quarterbacks themselves as individuals just get it and have the physical talent to succeed? Was Elvis Grbac (an 8th round pick, I believe) developed? Or was he just a mis evaluated as a college player and "got it" at the NFL level enough to turn into a competent starter? LIS, if you go back prior to the CBA, it's not like teams were constantly developing all pro style quarterbacks or something. 

Been saying it all along with 1st round QBs. They dont sit like they used to and thats why more and more of these lesser developed QBs might need to stay that extra year in school

Archived