Jets trade Christian Hackenberg to the Raiders (update raiders cut Hackenberg)

49erurtaza

On 6/13/2018 at 7:27 AM, FourThreeMafia said:

As a Penn State fan who NEVER liked him, I called it from a mile away.    Said he was a late round selection at best, while, for some reason, alot of people claimed he was a worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick....despite at no point during his college career did he ever look notably better than many QBs who go undrafted.

Just boggles my mind that he was EVER viewed as a early round pick by ANYONE.   

Honestly, I think his NFL draft stock got bumped from how people remembered him as a prospect coming out of high school. I remember him being viewed as some miracle recruit that would bring Penn State back to prominence, and some people never really get over that kind of potential.

14 hours ago, Forge said:

It does seem like developing quarterbacks has become an issue at the NFL level, but I'll be honest, is it really any different than it was in the 1980's? Maybe teams were at one time more patient with quarterbacks, but it's not like you can go back to the olden days and see 24 all pro type quarterbacks playing, so I doubt that there is a considerable difference overall, just feels that way. Perhaps due to more media coverage and the like, I don't know. But no, I don't really buy the CBA excuse. 

The thing is, it's really so hard to tell about why guys flop and succeed. Is it because they are "developed", or because at some point the quarterbacks themselves as individuals just get it and have the physical talent to succeed? Was Elvis Grbac (an 8th round pick, I believe) developed? Or was he just a mis evaluated as a college player and "got it" at the NFL level enough to turn into a competent starter? LIS, if you go back prior to the CBA, it's not like teams were constantly developing all pro style quarterbacks or something. 

The CBA doesn't help, that's for sure. The more practice you have at something the better you'll be. If anything, that should help college QBs in the decision-making process stay in school. The reality is, only a tiny percentage of college QBs are gifted enough to leave school early, and be assured of first round status. Christian Hackenberg foolishly left a building Penn State program, which improved to 10-3 the season after he departed. A more polished Hackenberg could have been a an upper first round pick, the chances of injury are actually quite small.

It's both a combination of physical and mental ability for the young QBs who developed into elite NFL players. The huge difference today as compared with the 80s, is the fact we're living in an instant gratification society. More young QBs are either transferring from college programs when faced with change, or rushing through college to grab the $ as soon as possible. A player truly interested in a longer term NFL career usually needs as much experience as possible in college. Hackenberg had well-documented flaws, and it was considered a surprise when he bailed on Penn State. Now it's going to take a miracle for him to start in the NFL, these past two years have been essentially wasted from a developmental standpoint.   

Quarterbacks are overdrafted. It leads to a very high failure rate because the pressure is there from day one. Tom Brady was a late round pick and will end up being the GOAT. Brees was a second round pick. Now it’s like Tim Tebow and Johnny Manziel going high. 

You cant win without a quarterback but these overdrafts are destroying some people’s chances of being successful.

On 6/14/2018 at 7:09 PM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Been saying it all along with 1st round QBs. They dont sit like they used to and thats why more and more of these lesser developed QBs might need to stay that extra year in school

The only issue I see here is that that cliché overused example of Aaron Rodgers sitting behind Brett Favre. Because there is not a more recent example of a QB sitting and developing into a franchise QB. How many young QBs sat behind Peyton Manning and failed as one example. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

The only issue I see here is that that cliché overused example of Aaron Rodgers sitting behind Brett Favre. Because there is not a more recent example of a QB sitting and developing into a franchise QB. How many young QBs sat behind Peyton Manning and failed as one example. 

Depending on how this year goes, Jimmy G could become another big example. I think the difference with the QBs sitting behind Manning is that none of them were 1st/2nd round picks like Rodgers/Garoppolo and little was expected of them to begin with

On 6/19/2018 at 1:03 AM, Boltstrikes said:

Quarterbacks are overdrafted. It leads to a very high failure rate because the pressure is there from day one. Tom Brady was a late round pick and will end up being the GOAT. Brees was a second round pick. Now it’s like Tim Tebow and Johnny Manziel going high. 

You cant win without a quarterback but these overdrafts are destroying some people’s chances of being successful.

meh I don't really agree with this. Most QB's that suck would suck regardless of what round they were drafted in. What QB's do you think would have been better had they gone in rounds 4-5 that went in round 1-2? I'd say that list is small or non-existent.

5 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

meh I don't really agree with this. Most QB's that suck would suck regardless of what round they were drafted in. What QB's do you think would have been better had they gone in rounds 4-5 that went in round 1-2? I'd say that list is small or non-existent.

The exception to your rule maybe JFF. It may have humber him if he had been correctly evaluated. Same goes for RG3. 

If a QB isnt ready to go they need to ride the pine.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah I'd say the advantage is being drafted high because you will stick around longer if you don't play/practice well compared to a lower pick. There is pressure to perform either way, if you can't handle the pressure you are failing no matter where you are picked.

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

The exception to your rule maybe JFF. It may have humber him if he had been correctly evaluated. Same goes for RG3. 

If a QB isnt ready to go they need to ride the pine.

JFF failed because football was a low priority. Maybe he matures and maybe he doesn't but he didn't want to start as a rookie which seemed odd to me at the time but realizing he preferred the party life it made sense.

RGIII just had to stay healthy and be able to scare defenses with his legs to be a competent passer. He couldn't run (or slide) and stay healthy and he just wasn't good enough as a pure pocket passer to keep a starting job.

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2018 at 8:18 AM, SammyBradwater said:

Depending on how this year goes, Jimmy G could become another big example. I think the difference with the QBs sitting behind Manning is that none of them were 1st/2nd round picks like Rodgers/Garoppolo and little was expected of them to begin with

Brock Osweiler  drafted in the 2nd round.

No time in any of Farve's, Peyton's and Brady's career was there a QB taken in the first 2 rounds by their team... until they hit ages 36/37.  That's when Rodgers, Brock, and Jimmy G were drafted.  Although, with Peyton, it wasn't just age, but additionally there were injury concerns if he could ever get back to his former self coming back from neck surgery.

Archived