Jets trade Christian Hackenberg to the Raiders (update raiders cut Hackenberg)

49erurtaza

48 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The thing is, he looked really bad there in most of those snaps.   Forget accuracy, read progression & recognition were slow, and pocket awareness wasn't good at all.   And that's with vanilla preseason D's. 

Maybe it's just overthinking and nerves, but man, that's not good.   So many journeyman-type QB's look like world-beaters in the preseason.   Looking bad in the preseason is an ominous sign.   Now maybe it's just his confidence is shot, and he's overthinking it - but whatever it is, he's not just a physical mess.    

For the Raiders, it's basically zero-risk.   A conditional 7th is nothing.  But it's just that bad for Hack's outlook.    At least in the other raw-project types who got drafted, you have the possibility of showing growth.   The problem is that Hack hasn't just been showing 0 growth for 2 years, it was 0 growth after 2 years combined with 2 years of major regression in college.    Again, 2+ years ago I thought he'd be worth a Day 3 pick to see if those freshman skills could be unearthed.   He's only 23, so it's not impossible.  But his trajectory is going the wrong way, with no change in sight.   I get why ppl are more excited about other guys - it's like DEN & Lynch.    Fans in DEN are basically all rooting for anyone but Lynch to be our backup now (Chad Kelly, the latest guy).   Maybe the new guy isn't any better than Lynch - but we know Lynch hasn't shown any progress, and his flat learning curve is really problematic after 2 seasons.   At least the new guy, you have the hope he would progress at a faster rate than Lynch has.   You can pretty much apply the same principle to Hack (except somehow Hack looked even worse than Lynch has in preseason - which is saying something).   At least the Jets didn't spend a late 1st (or worse, trade up for that late 1st).

Great point. One thing I just remembered about his second offseason (not his first) was that he had trouble breaking the huddle. After a year plus in the league, he had issues breaking the huddle. Everyone should pause and think about that when someone makes the suggestion he didn’t get a fair shake. An NFL QB couldn’t break the huddle.

1 hour ago, Ninerjunkie said:

The guy got broken just like David Carr in his last college season. At least the jets got rid of one mistake

He ran into the majority of those sacks.

I saw with my own eyes at camp last year that he wasn't even able to throw accurate passes with no rush, in shorts, while setting his base at least enough to have a relatively okay throwing platform. He doesn't have NFL accuracy, his arm isn't there and his head doesn't process things fast enough to  compensate.

18 hours ago, Ninerjunkie said:

The guy got broken just like David Carr in his last college season. At least the jets got rid of one mistake

Uhh...no.

Hack was never that good at any point in his college career.      He was a highly touted recruit out of high school and showed flashes in college, but he never earned alot of the praise he got in college....like when people were touting him as a first round pick.    There was never any extended period (and by that I mean, 3+ game stretch) where Hack ever looked like more than a mid-round pick, and most of the time, he looked like a UDFA.

Bottom line....he wasnt broken at all....he just never deserved to be drafted anywhere close to as high as he was drafted.     Trace McSorley is a better college QB and pro prospect than Hack was, and I dont even like McSorley. 

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Guess Gruden doesn't love all QBs...... 

Weird trade. What were they expecting to happen exactly in OTAs?

Probably about it for his career in the NFL. At best gets an invite as a camp arm. 

They traded nothing since he didn't make the roster.

12 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Guess Gruden doesn't love all QBs...... 

Weird trade. What were they expecting to happen exactly in OTAs?

Probably about it for his career in the NFL. At best gets an invite as a camp arm. 

6 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

They traded nothing since he didn't make the roster.

Basically a free shot to see if he could be better than either Connor Cook or EJ Manuel.    To get cut this soon is pretty pathetic, given the competition.

To make that call in OTA's, that's gotta be some spectacularly bad QB play.   I mean, OTA's is basically a shorts-and-tshirts display of 7-on-7.  So either you must have zero accuracy, or no ability to absorb a playbook to fail.   Lots of OTA heroes do zilch in the real game, but to fail at OTA's is a special level of ineptitude.  

All of which to say....hard to see any future for Hackenberg.  I don't even think the CFL or XFL will work out for him if he's this bad.  Such freshman promise that one season...but man, the fall has been brutally bad.

Archived