OTAs

49erurtaza

34 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

The deep passing is a glaring weakness in Jimmy G's game. Was hoping it was improved this year. Not a critical issue all things considered, particularly as evidenced by this teams scoring rate with Jimmy G under center last year, but it does limit the offense to some degree. 

29 minutes ago, Forge said:

The deep passing is a glaring weakness in Jimmy G's game. Was hoping it was improved this year. Not a critical issue all things considered, particularly as evidenced by this teams scoring rate with Jimmy G under center last year, but it does limit the offense to some degree. 

If it was only 50-yarders I'd agree. But the article talks about passes over 20.  NFL defenses are just so sophisticated theses days that once they get a read on Jimmie's strengths and weaknesses they'll figure out how to play him If he is not very good over 20 yards they'll eventually start packing everyone into the first 20 and make it increasingly difficult for him to keep doing what he did last year. A lot of young, or relatively new starting QBs look good for a few games till defenses figure out hwo to play them. I think that's exactly what happened to Kap and why nhis passing looked worse and worse every year.

14 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

If it was only 50-yarders I'd agree. But the article talks about passes over 20.  NFL defenses are just so sophisticated theses days that once they get a read on Jimmie's strengths and weaknesses they'll figure out how to play him If he is not very good over 20 yards they'll eventually start packing everyone into the first 20 and make it increasingly difficult for him to keep doing what he did last year. A lot of young, or relatively new starting QBs look good for a few games till defenses figure out hwo to play them. I think that's exactly what happened to Kap and why nhis passing looked worse and worse every year.

Oh, I agree in that regard. I've said multiple times this off season, before I jump all in, I need to see what happens when teams start stacking the middle of the field against him and he's forced out of his comfort zone throwing deep outs or down field. Now, part of that will be alleviated by Shanny - I have all the faith in the world that he can continue to scheme well in the passing game to make things work and still find some ways to make those middle of the field patterns work (I think that this is where McKinnon is going to come in and pay some dividends in the passing game underneath), but if we are going to elevate the offense further, we can't be limited in a huge way. Time will tell. Its very hard to consistently move the ball down field in 14 play drives throughout the course of a game, so you do need to have some explosion for downfield plays, whether they are 20 yards or 50. 

5 hours ago, big9erfan said:

The majority of young/new quarterbacks that play look terrible, and don't even show a glimmer of hope for a franchise searching for one. Every so often you'll have someone like Colin K who will get by with physical tools, but that only works for so long if they don't improve. Since you brought Colin K up, there is a huge difference in the situation he was in compared to Jimmy G. Colin K had a stacked roster, Jimmy didn't. That's the big silver lining for me. Jimmy G knew just a phrase book of a new offense that he had to start running in two weeks on a new team with a terrible roster, in the middle of the season. He still balled out despite the deck being completely stacked against him. His long ball is a concern, and defenses will adjust the more tape they get on him. To me it's a wash though since Jimmy is improving with more and more time under an offensive wizard in Kyle. 

Chris Biderman did his initial 53 man roster projection following mini camp. Pretty interesting things to note. A couple notable things:

Not making the roster: 

Joe Williams - he once again thinks that we carry 3 true running backs with the 4th being Juice, and gives the final nod to Mostert (which wouldn't be a huge shock given his special teams acumen). 

Joshua Garnett - I've said a few times now that I think he ends up getting traded if he shows a little bit of something this off season. I just don't think the staff loves him or views him as a fit. We are missing our 5th round pick this upcoming draft from the Laken Tomlinson deal, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us try and get that back for him. Biderman gives the nod to Person over Garnett as the final guard on the roster. 

Richie James  - This one was actually more surprising for me than either of the first two. 

Making the roster: 

Aaron Burbridge. Final wide receiver spot, largely due to special teams play. There's a part of me that would be somewhat surprised if we kept on two special teams studs in Mostert and Burbridge, but MM did report that he has looked pretty solid as a receiver making some tough over the middle catches, so maybe the team doesn't feel like they are losing much. 

Tyvus Powell - apparently, he's looked very good through mini camp, and I remember hearing that the team was high on him. 

Mike Person - as indicated above, he's got Garnett off, Person on. Wouldn't shock me. 

Eli Harold. This one is somewhat surprising if only because I can't believe he's really going to make it through his entire rookie contract. 

ESPN 49ers reporter Nick Wagoner singled out WR Kendrick Bourne as the surprise of Niners minicamp, suggesting he could "potentially push for an expanded role."

The second-year UDFA caught 16 balls for 257 yards (16.1 YPR) as a rookie. He stands 6'1/203 and ran 4.68 with a 34-inch vertical at last year's Combine, resulting in his undrafted status. But Jimmy Garoppolo said Bourne looks faster this year and "has some wiggle." Bourne has a lot of work to pass second-rounder Dante Pettis before cracking the rotation at receiver.

There is always a surprise player that makes the team that no one anticipated after the draft. And Powell certainly could be that guy. Grant Cohn seems to think he sucks and Garoppolo picks on him a lot, while the other beat writers are heaping a lot of praise on him.

Cutting Garnett just seems unlikely. But hey if he isn't good enough to beat out Cooper and Person, then why is he on the team? Maybe IR him again? Lol.

I mentioned yesterday that James vs Robinson could be for the last WR spot, but totally forgot about Burbridge who is a really solid STs player. So basically one spot between the three.

As for Bourne, I'm a big fan of his. Love the Stevie Johnson comparison. Not that type of route runner yet, but has good potential. At the very least I feel confident that if Garcon or someone else gets hurt, Bourne will be able to step right in with little to none drop in production.

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

There is always a surprise player that makes the team that no one anticipated after the draft. And Powell certainly could be that guy. Grant Cohn seems to think he sucks and Garoppolo picks on him a lot, while the other beat writers are heaping a lot of praise on him.

Cutting Garnett just seems unlikely. But hey if he isn't good enough to beat out Cooper and Person, then why is he on the team? Maybe IR him again? Lol.

I mentioned yesterday that James vs Robinson could be for the last WR spot, but totally forgot about Burbridge who is a really solid STs player. So basically one spot between the three.

As for Bourne, I'm a big fan of his. Love the Stevie Johnson comparison. Not that type of route runner yet, but has good potential. At the very least I feel confident that if Garcon or someone else gets hurt, Bourne will be able to step right in with little to none drop in production.

I haven't read Cohn this off season, but I could understand the thought process behind that. MM has indicated that Jimmy has avoid throwing at spoon for the most part, so no doubt Powell is getting thrown at more, and there I get the idea that if you're getting thrown at quite a bit, you must not be all that great, since obviously there is some sort of opening, but the reviews I've seen says he's holding up well when thrown at. 

Yeah, I don't think Garnett is cut. I really do think he ends up traded. It's for peanuts, of course, but someone would take a shot at him. Recent history has proven that with the trades of guys like Tomlinson and Erving. There are teams out there that need guard help, and with us lacking a fifth rounder, I think that's the most likely outcome right now, though that could change obviously. 

So Cohn wrote an article saying Garoppolo really struggled the last two days and lo and behold PFT wrote an article on that. Some of the comments to that article were hilarious.

But Barrows wrote in an article saying Garoppolo is one of those that looks better in the game than during practices. That he tends to have some off practices and did so when the team traded for him and that was one of the reasons Shanny held off as long as he could. And then I came across this tweet:

Could be he's just not a practice player or he takes more risks in practices than he would in games. Then again, he takes quite a few questionable risks in actual games as well lol. 

This goes against what some of the Pats players were saying in that there was no drop off between him and Brady in practices and how Garoppolo would tear up the starting defenses during practices. 

17 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So Cohn wrote an article saying Garoppolo really struggled the last two days and lo and behold PFT wrote an article on that. Some of the comments to that article were hilarious.

But Barrows wrote in an article saying Garoppolo is one of those that looks better in the game than during practices. That he tends to have some off practices and did so when the team traded for him and that was one of the reasons Shanny held off as long as he could. And then I came across this tweet:

Could be he's just not a practice player or he takes more risks in practices than he would in games. Then again, he takes quite a few questionable risks in actual games as well lol. 

This goes against what some of the Pats players were saying in that there was no drop off between him and Brady in practices and how Garoppolo would tear up the starting defenses during practices. 

200.gif

Okay, so I just saw the periscope Cohn did of the last practice and someone mentioned how Cohn would gush over Hoyer's play in training camp last year, but then in the regular season he was terrible. Cohn responded by saying yeah, but lets not forget he didn't get to play for Foster and that hurt him. W-T-F? What does Foster have to do with Hoyer having a 58% completion percentage? What does Foster have to do with Hoyer having a 6.1 YPA? What does Foster have to do with Hoyer having a 74.1 QB rating? Could the Niners have potentially won a game or two with Foster during that time? Possibly, but Hoyer was legitimately bad no other way around it. Lets not blame his play on Foster not being there. Smh. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Okay, so I just saw the periscope Cohn did of the last practice and someone mentioned how Cohn would gush over Hoyer's play in training camp last year, but then in the regular season he was terrible. Cohn responded by saying yeah, but lets not forget he didn't get to play for Foster and that hurt him. W-T-F? What does Foster have to do with Hoyer having a 58% completion percentage? What does Foster have to do with Hoyer having a 6.1 YPA? What does Foster have to do with Hoyer having a 74.1 QB rating? Could the Niners have potentially won a game or two with Foster during that time? Possibly, but Hoyer was legitimately bad no other way around it. Lets not blame his play on Foster not being there. Smh. 

Hahaha, he is such a tool. 

And that's what kills his legitimacy. Like some of the things he says are true and he's not afraid to be in the minority, but he just tries a little too hard. His pops was the same so it's not a huge surprise or anything, just hilarious at times lol. 

47 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

And that's what kills his legitimacy. Like some of the things he says are true and he's not afraid to be in the minority, but he just tries a little too hard. His pops was the same so it's not a huge surprise or anything, just hilarious at times lol. 

Guess that's why his twitter still isn't verified. :D

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I was just going to say, it seems like Jimmy has a tendency to take more chances and possibly give his players a chance to win on certain contested throws. 

Archived