OTAs

49erurtaza

13 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Okay, so I just saw the periscope Cohn did of the last practice and someone mentioned how Cohn would gush over Hoyer's play in training camp last year, but then in the regular season he was terrible. Cohn responded by saying yeah, but lets not forget he didn't get to play for Foster and that hurt him. W-T-F? What does Foster have to do with Hoyer having a 58% completion percentage? What does Foster have to do with Hoyer having a 6.1 YPA? What does Foster have to do with Hoyer having a 74.1 QB rating? Could the Niners have potentially won a game or two with Foster during that time? Possibly, but Hoyer was legitimately bad no other way around it. Lets not blame his play on Foster not being there. Smh. 

I don't get it. Reuben Foster? 

20 hours ago, StevenK said:

I was just going to say, it seems like Jimmy has a tendency to take more chances and possibly give his players a chance to win on certain contested throws. 

I'm never concerned over INTs during these practices. This is THE best time to test your weapons, and let it fly. 

Just as long as it isn't developing reckless tendencies when the real games matter. 

• 5 weeks later...

Try to put yourself in Ahkello Witherspoon’s shoes. You’re 23, a third-round pick out of Colorado in 2017, and you had no idea what to expect in the NFL. Most guys say they knew back in college they’d make it in the league, but you’re honest, and you’ll admit you had no idea until you stepped onto the field in August 2017 and saw your first action as a 49er. Yet you thrived on a losing football team, earning the starting gig in late October. The team traded for a quarterback who led you to five straight wins to finish the season. A few months later they signed a three-time All-Pro cornerback to play opposite you. It’s all happening now, and there’s more.

The All-Pro has been watching you—on film, in OTAs—and he’s convinced you’re next. In a year, he says, the football world will know your name. He invites you to a gathering that’s the first of its kind. On a sun-soaked practice field at Stanford University in late June, you meet Aqib Talib, Darius Slay, Xavier Rhodes and the guy who invited you, Richard Sherman. 

Sherman is convinced that when they do run it back, Witherspoon will no longer seem like an interloper to anyone paying attention.

“I invited him because I thought he could hold his own,” Sherman says of Witherspoon. “I think from being around him, working with him, working out with him, watching him in OTAs and minicamp, I knew he could keep up with the workflow. I knew he would look the part. I knew, drill-wise, he wouldn’t be overwhelmed. His footwork is beautiful and technical. I knew that in terms of demeanor and just being able to just walk around and not be star-struck by these guys, he’d be fine. I think he belongs with those guys, and people will figure that out in a few months.”

“I expect for us to be the best defense in the league,” Witherspoon said. “I like to think we’ll be able to play 9-on-9, with myself and Sherman out there taking out two receivers. It’s a matter of coming together, playing fast and making those plays when they come.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/07/16/richard-sherman-aqib-talib-malcolm-butler-nfl-cornerback-summit-2018-power-rankings-mmqb?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=themmqb

Nice article on the CB summit Sherman held a few weeks back. He sure thinks highly of Witherspoon and Witherspoon sure thinks highly of the defense saying it will be the best in the league LOL. Lets take it a bit easy there, but no question he looks like the goods. All throughout minicamp and OTAs, it seems like Jimmy G hasn't been testing him much and probably for good reason. Excited to see the jump he takes from year one to year two. I remember seeing how good Sherman was late 2011 his rookie season and then how he took off the following season to put his name amongst the best CBs in the game. Witherspoon is unlikely to make THAT type of jump, but I will be disappointed if by the end of the season he doesn't look like a #1 corner for the next 7-9 years. 

Archived