OTAs

49erurtaza

27 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

For all people wanting to see Warner at SAM would you have want him at OLB two years ago? Cause that is basically what the SAM is in this scheme.

Do I think he could have played the Brooks role when Aldon was here? Maaaaaaaaybe. I Think he would be maybe Manny Lawson like in what he could do out of that position? The problem would be when you have him blitz, I think. He sheds blocks better than a typical WILL, which is nice...does that mean he could translate to a SAM role? Not necessarily, because shedding that block and holding the edge arent' necessarily the same thing. Brooks is probably shooting too high at this point because Brooks was a solid, if unspectacular pass rusher, and I don't see that from Warner right now. But Lawson? He was never much of a pass rusher and made his way doing the non pass rushing stuff from the position. Do I think Warner could do that? Maybe. Add in a sack or two (which is largely what you got from Lawson as a pass rusher) and I could see that working from a productivity standpoint between the two. 

Would it be the best use of his abilities at this point? Probably not. But it's also about putting the best team on the field. It really isn't so much about whether or not that's his best fit or anything else like that, but rather is he the best option out of the guys that we could conceivably put there at this point, and for that, I don't know, but I think there's a possibility that could be the case. I'd at least give it a shot, because why not? That's what we have OTA, TC and preseason for. 

20 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

For all people wanting to see Warner at SAM would you have want him at OLB two years ago? Cause that is basically what the SAM is in this scheme.

That's not entirely accurate. Though on base downs, the SAM is very similar to the LOLB in a 3-4, he is tasked to drop into coverage way more than any 3-4 base team would allow their OLB to be.  The SAM in this scheme has to be adapt in coverage AND be able to set the edge. KJ Wright is basically the ideal player here. Big enough and stout@the POA to be a OLB in a 3-4 for but athletic and fast enough to be able to drop into short zones and carry potential receivers in his area into the next man's zone. 

Now I firmly believe Warner is best in this scheme as a WILL. And think he is the future there. But while Smith is here, I think he could play SAM and be effective. More so, for his coverage ability. I think playing next to Armstead on base downs, could mask some of his shortcomings as a edge setter. Not that he's horrible in that department but I think he'll struggle strength-wise versus NFL O-Lineman, stacking and shedding. But playing next to a guy like Armstead, who can absorb multiple blockers, while working down the line, towards the ball should free up Warner some. I just think he can't do any worst than Harold or Watson against the run but should be leaps and bounds better in coverage. Especially running Cover 3 with base personnel, where teams exploited us routinely last year in the short-middle.

9 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

That's not entirely accurate. Though on base downs, the SAM is very similar to the LOLB in a 3-4, he is tasked to drop into coverage way more than any 3-4 base team would allow their OLB to be.  The SAM in this scheme has to be adapt in coverage AND be able to set the edge. KJ Wright is basically the ideal player here. Big enough and stout@the POA to be a OLB in a 3-4 for but athletic and fast enough to be able to drop into short zones and carry potential receivers in his area into the next man's zone. 

Now I firmly believe Warner is best in this scheme as a WILL. And think he is the future there. But while Smith is here, I think he could play SAM and be effective. More so, for his coverage ability. I think playing next to Armstead on base downs, could mask some of his shortcomings as a edge setter. Not that he's horrible in that department but I think he'll struggle strength-wise versus NFL O-Lineman, stacking and shedding. But playing next to a guy like Armstead, who can absorb multiple blockers, while working down the line, towards the ball should free up Warner some. I just think he can't do any worst than Harold or Watson against the run but should be leaps and bounds better in coverage. Especially running Cover 3 with base personnel, where teams exploited us routinely last year in the short-middle.

Fair enough. I think Harold is leaps and bounds better against the run than Warner is. And for Harold he played around 40% of the snaps last year so most of the time he does play on base downs. I agree 100% that Warner is better in coverage and there can be some interesting stuff with him Smith and Foster on the field at the same time at passing downs. I just don't think he is physical enough to play the SAM on every down. 

1 hour ago, Justone2 said:

Fair enough. I think Harold is leaps and bounds better against the run than Warner is. And for Harold he played around 40% of the snaps last year so most of the time he does play on base downs. I agree 100% that Warner is better in coverage and there can be some interesting stuff with him Smith and Foster on the field at the same time at passing downs. I just don't think he is physical enough to play the SAM on every down. 

Harold is not a great run defender though. He's adequate but he struggles on edge with bigger guys, just like you're suggesting Warner will. Watson is better in that department but not by much. I don't believe the ideal SAM is on the roster currently. 

But I'm willing to give Warner a shot there and prove me wrong. I know what I have in Harold and Watson....which isnt much. I think Warner could surprise. BYU used him all over....DE, ILB, OLB, and SS. He's played with his hand in the dirt some so if he could add some strength, maybe bulk up to around 240-245 he could be a fixture@SAM. He's got the length and the frame for it. I think WILLs are far more easy to find than SAMs in this particular scheme. 

15 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

As long as he didn't sacrifice any speed, I'm all for this. His ability to cover ground is one of the reasons I think he stoodout as a starter. Hate to see him lose a step in that department.   

ydplefk1htuluut2d5da.jpg

He still looks fairly skinny to me. I think the take away here is the line about Colbert trimming fat. He doesn't look like he bulked up much, he's probably a little leaner than he was last year, which if anything, should help increase speed and quickness.

39 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

ydplefk1htuluut2d5da.jpg

He still looks fairly skinny to me. I think the take away here is the line about Colbert trimming fat. He doesn't look like he bulked up much, he's probably a little leaner than he was last year, which if anything, should help increase speed and quickness.

Here's another pic

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Amazing how everyone seems to know this but the team lol. Hopefully we will see an improvement in this regard

It feels like they're trying to bide their time until Armstead is gone. Thomas is built to rush the passer from the interior, not EDGE. He should be the Big End on base downs in the 4-3, then kick inside to rush the passer in nickel beside Buckner. Currently, Armstead is playing that exact role. Not to mention, we don't have many options at EDGE so plugging Thomas there until he can play a more natural position seems to be the plan at the moment. 

Archived