OTAs

49erurtaza

From what is sounds like, Garnett hasn't looked all that great on the line. I think Barrows said that some of it was coverage related, so I'm hoping that is the case, but other times it sounds like he's just been beaten. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

From what is sounds like, Garnett hasn't looked all that great on the line. I think Barrows said that some of it was coverage related, so I'm hoping that is the case, but other times it sounds like he's just been beaten. 

This just seems par for the course to me. My only hope for Garnett at this point is that he's a better than terrible backup.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I was reading writeups of the d-line.  Sounded like lots of guys were looking good by beating him. Oh Trent!

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Where did you hear this? From what Shanny had to say, he's looked good thus far. I kno that's just regular media banter but I haven't heard he was stuggling.

35 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Where did you hear this? From what Shanny had to say, he's looked good thus far. I kno that's just regular media banter but I haven't heard he was stuggling.

Just little tidbits here and there

6. The 1-on-1 and 2-on-2 pass-rush drills were very entertaining. Both Thomas and Buckner stood out. Thomas beat Joshua Garnett twice in a row before doing the same to Najee Toran. Buckner also beat Garnett twice in a row.

Jerrod Robinson‏ @bathebay Sounded like from the practice reports everyone was beating (Joshua) Garnett yesterday. I know there’s no pads, but does he look bad?

ANSW: The offense as a whole looked a bit off yesterday because they were installing so many new plays. There were lapses everywhere. To my eye, most of the "sacks" were more coverage sacks than any one player getting beaten.

And to me, Shanny was less than effusive in his praise of Garnett. I mean, the best he got was a "he's a had a good two days", but that sounds mostly like meh, whatever with his exact quote. It could really mean anything, or nothing. Here was the exact quote I saw- 

“I see a guy who’s really going for it. I’ve been very proud of how he’s handled his year off. Some guys when they go through that, they can get down, especially the surprise it was for him when it happened. He really took advantage of his year off. I think he’s changed his body. I think he’s lost weight and added some muscle. I think by doing that, you’re faster, you’re more athletic and I don’t believe he’s lost his power either because it’s been the right type of weight. He’s had a good two days. It’s real early, but he’s put himself in a position to be the best he can.”

Nothing in that quote makes me think that he's been overly impressive. It's all about hard work and changing his body and has nothing to do with his play. When you're saying, "he's putting himself in a position to be the best he can"...I don't know...that quote doesn't scream "shanny is impressed" to me. It's almost more like, "well, he's the best he can be, so that's something"... I feel like this is a similar quote the compliments he was paying Zane Beadles last year. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Does having no pads help the DL or OL? I mean we sure have some suspect OL, but our pass rush last offseason was dominating every single practice....and then the games started and it was mediocre as Crabtree! 

I think any time in the early going of OTAs and TC, it favors the defense. Offenses just have more moving parts, so to speak. Harder to get into sync. 

I'm more so interested in seeing how he looks in the run game. Our interior OL was so bad in that area. Garnett's pass protection was always a bit suspect to me. Obviously when someone loses so much weight, you worry if they will start getting pushed around a bit in the run game. 

I know early on it favors the defense, but I'm talking about going against each other without pads. I'd think that would favor the DL no? 

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm more so interested in seeing how he looks in the run game. Our interior OL was so bad in that area. Garnett's pass protection was always a bit suspect to me. Obviously when someone loses so much weight, you worry if they will start getting pushed around a bit in the run game. 

I know early on it favors the defense, but I'm talking about going against each other without pads. I'd think that would favor the DL no? 

I don't think pads or no pads favors either side since it's no-contact. It's about staying in front of your guy (individual players may be much quicker without pads on, but that could be on either side of the ball).

You might be thinking of 1 on 1 drills. Those heavily favor the defensive player.

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

I don't think pads or no pads favors either side since it's no-contact. It's about staying in front of your guy (individual players may be much quicker without pads on, but that could be on either side of the ball).

You might be thinking of 1 on 1 drills. Those heavily favor the defensive player.

Correct, that's where I'm assuming Garnett was taking his losses? 

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Correct, that's where I'm assuming Garnett was taking his losses? 

He definitely had those ones mentioned above in one on one drills. But there were also the ones in team drills when the offense as a whole looked off (new plays were being installed). I mean, there are certainly reasons he didn't look great (in written reports), but I still don't see it as out of character, nor do I see him as becoming anything more than a suitable backup at this point.

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

He definitely had those ones mentioned above in one on one drills. But there were also the ones in team drills when the offense as a whole looked off (new plays were being installed). I mean, there are certainly reasons he didn't look great (in written reports), but I still don't see it as out of character, nor do I see him as becoming anything more than a suitable backup at this point.

Pretty much my stance as well. Cooper and Tomlinson are going to be the starters when the season opens, Cooper health dependent. 

Shanahan said that if Ward did not win a starting spot in training camp, he likely would be the top backup at five spots in the secondary: Both cornerback positions, nickel cornerback, free safety and strong safety.

Honestly, that's a damn good backup if he can stay healthy

7 hours ago, Forge said:

Honestly, that's a damn good backup if he can stay healthy

Hard to get injured on the bench! This is one heck of a strategy to keep him healthy.

If he's not winning a starting role by the end of camp, I can see the team trading him for a pick or maybe an EDGE option to a team that had a big DB injury. It'd be obvious at that point that he won't be a 49er in 2019. Plus, he's got the Baalke mark of death.

Archived