OTAs

49erurtaza

49ers OG Josh Garnett is "splitting time" with Mike Person at right guard in OTAs.

The No. 28 overall pick of the 2016 draft, Garnett sat out all of 2017 as he recovered from a knee scope. The I.R. placement was apparently about conditioning as much as his knee. Garnett has since shed weight and added muscle. "I think by doing that, you’re faster, you’re more athletic, and I don’t believe he’s lost his power either because it’s been the right type of weight," coach Kyle Shanahan said. It would be a troubling sign for Garnett's NFL future if he couldn't beat out Person, a true journeyman.

4 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

49ers OG Josh Garnett is "splitting time" with Mike Person at right guard in OTAs.

The No. 28 overall pick of the 2016 draft, Garnett sat out all of 2017 as he recovered from a knee scope. The I.R. placement was apparently about conditioning as much as his knee. Garnett has since shed weight and added muscle. "I think by doing that, you’re faster, you’re more athletic, and I don’t believe he’s lost his power either because it’s been the right type of weight," coach Kyle Shanahan said. It would be a troubling sign for Garnett's NFL future if he couldn't beat out Person, a true journeyman.

If true, get well soon Cooper!

Hopefully this is more Person plays with the 1s when Garnett needs a breath than anything else. 

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

Hopefully this is more Person plays with the 1s when Garnett needs a breath than anything else. 

It is what it is. Former first rounder or not, if he's not the better player for this scheme, than he shouldn't start. Whether its Cooper or Person, I want the best player on the field that gives offense the best chance to succeed. Garnett is still very young and could be trade bait to a team with a blocking scheme more in-line with his skill-set. I won't see it as troublesome if isn't named the starter. Just means the other guys are better, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I've said all along, Cooper could surprise ppl in this zone-scheme. And Person seems like a capable back-up/utility guy. Not mention, I think Magnuson could be a sleeper@RG. Really won't know about any of them until the pads come on so its all just talk at this point...

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

yeah, very likely the case... just easing Garnett back in, while keeping him motivated to feel not so safe about his job. 

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

It is what it is. Former first rounder or not, if he's not the better player for this scheme, than he shouldn't start. Whether its Cooper or Person, I want the best player on the field that gives offense the best chance to succeed. Garnett is still very young and could be trade bait to a team with a blocking scheme more in-line with his skill-set. I won't see it as troublesome if isn't named the starter. Just means the other guys are better, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I've said all along, Cooper could surprise ppl in this zone-scheme. And Person seems like a capable back-up/utility guy. Not mention, I think Magnuson could be a sleeper@RG. Really won't know about any of them until the pads come on so its all just talk at this point...

I haven't nearly written him off yet. I've been watching the NFL Top 100 and kind of enjoying seeing guys I liked coming out a few years ago who had slow starts to their careers finally beginning to blossom. Heck, I think DeCastro was a guy who is now one of the best G's in the league that had a slow start.

As an aside we had Sherman on the list who came to us from another team. The only other two guys who were on last year's team we had on the list so far are Garrapolo and ... Carlos Hyde.

2 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Why did we let the Falcons sign Fusco again?

Because he sucked. I mean he wasn't as bad as Beadles but he isn't a front-line starter. There's a reason Minny let him walk and suddenly began to block ppl as soon as he left. I don't think he's better than Garnett from a talent perspective and I think Mags has a chance to be much better player down the line but we shall see....

3 hours ago, big9erfan said:

I haven't nearly written him off yet. I've been watching the NFL Top 100 and kind of enjoying seeing guys I liked coming out a few years ago who had slow starts to their careers finally beginning to blossom. Heck, I think DeCastro was a guy who is now one of the best G's in the league that had a slow start.

As an aside we had Sherman on the list who came to us from another team. The only other two guys who were on last year's team we had on the list so far are Garrapolo and ... Carlos Hyde.

Good point about DeCastro. He was awful his first 2 years but managed to turn it around. Thing is, he was/is in a scheme that suited his skill-set from Day 1...Garnett hasn't been as lucky. From Chip Kelly to now Shanny, he's been square peg in a round hole from the beginning. I truly believe Baalke was high and drunk when he moved up to select him for what Kelly was running. 

Reuben working to make some positive headlines for us again. :) 

Time on Garoppolo's side, as he learns 49ers' offense from the beginning

Garoppolo is going through his first offseason as a member of the 49ers, and he is learning Kyle Shanahan’s complex scheme from the beginning – without taking any shortcuts. “You start over with formations to understand ‘why,’ so that he’s not just memorizing it all every single week,” Shanahan said. “You just know things. You don’t have to sit there and think about it. When you do that, you can just focus on really the tough jobs, which is throwing, going through progressions, playing in that pocket.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/time-garoppolos-side-he-learns-49ers-offense-beginning

Super Jimmy gonna stomp the opponents embarrassing-like. 

200w.webp

Archived