Christian Hackenberg traded to Oakland Raiders

DowNY

It’s sort of surprising since I really thought Teddy would be the one to go, either because he showed enough to get a much higher draft pick or still showed signs of his injury causing us to cut him  I guess if either of those scenarios happen we could go with 2 QBs or sign a free agent. 

For us to get that pick we have to hope he beats out Connor Cook for 3rd string on Oakland. I think EJ Manuel’s experience gives him the edge as their backup.to Carr.

12 hours ago, Karmaloop said:

What a waste of a second round pick. These types of misses are why our roster has been working barren.

Ain't that the truth, how many second round picks have we blown in the last decade. That is one of the main reasons why we sucked so long. Lets hope that is the end of lousy drafting.

3 hours ago, Harris Smith said:

Wild speculation on my part, but my guess is Darnold isn't going to be instant coffee, and the Jets are keeping Bridgewater for the year as the no 2 or maybe to start initially. 

Wild speculation for sure. We just don’t need 4 QBs and Teddy > Hack.

I think Hack was moved because Teddy must have looked pretty good to the staff during OTA. They felt like Teddy would be healthy enough to play this year. I still think that Sam has the chance to be the starter day 1 and run with it. If he shows he can play he will be week 1 starter. If he is not ready i think McCown and Teddy will fight it out and I see Teddy winning the job. If Teddy can light it up over the season then the Jets can move him for a 1st and 3rd like a Bradford deal. Heck we might even get more than Bradford because he is younger. Sam will be the starting QB come 2019 season NO MATTER WHAT. McCown will be the back up or on the coaching staff. I also like that Hack has a very good chance of making the Raiders roster because Cook and Manuel are trash. I'm also not mad at the pick. Ya I did not like it when they took Hack but at least they were trying to find a QB. 

12 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I think Hack was moved because Teddy must have looked pretty good to the staff during OTA. They felt like Teddy would be healthy enough to play this year. I still think that Sam has the chance to be the starter day 1 and run with it. If he shows he can play he will be week 1 starter. If he is not ready i think McCown and Teddy will fight it out and I see Teddy winning the job. If Teddy can light it up over the season then the Jets can move him for a 1st and 3rd like a Bradford deal. Heck we might even get more than Bradford because he is younger. Sam will be the starting QB come 2019 season NO MATTER WHAT. McCown will be the back up or on the coaching staff. I also like that Hack has a very good chance of making the Raiders roster because Cook and Manuel are trash. I'm also not mad at the pick. Ya I did not like it when they took Hack but at least they were trying to find a QB. 

I agree with this. The beat writers are making the Hack pick sound like one of the worst ever for the Jets. He was picked towards the bottom of the second round. If he had been like the fifth pick of the third, would that be just as scandalous for a try at a QB? What if Mason Rudolph never sees the field for the Steelers, does that make it a crazy choice?

I think if Darnold came in looking polished, the Jets might have viewed Bridgewater as someone who would be dealt, with Hack being the third QB. But it sounds like Teddy is the one looking sharp.

37 minutes ago, Harris Smith said:

I agree with this. The beat writers are making the Hack pick sound like one of the worst ever for the Jets. He was picked towards the bottom of the second round. If he had been like the fifth pick of the third, would that be just as scandalous for a try at a QB? What if Mason Rudolph never sees the field for the Steelers, does that make it a crazy choice?

I think if Darnold came in looking polished, the Jets might have viewed Bridgewater as someone who would be dealt, with Hack being the third QB. But it sounds like Teddy is the one looking sharp.

What makes the pick worse is that he never even took a snap before we moved on. He's also still only 23. So its very very rare to never play a 2nd rounder period in any regular season action AND give up on a 23yr old. In hindsight we should have kept him never signed McCown (maybe made him a coach) and rolled into the season with Teddy, Darnold and Hack.

My point really is, if we're to read the actions of the Jets, the Hack dump may have as much to do with how much work they have to do with Darnold to get him on the field. If he had come in and wowed the staff from day one,  the logical thought would be to have him compete with McCown to start the season,  deal Teddy B, keep Hack as the no 3, or stash him on the PS. 

Then again, maybe he is just that bad they needed to move on. Either way,  I don't blame any GM for taking a QB outside of the top 15-20 picks ,flawed as they may be, if they really don't have one. You're nowhere until you get one anyway.

3 hours ago, Harris Smith said:

My point really is, if we're to read the actions of the Jets, the Hack dump may have as much to do with how much work they have to do with Darnold to get him on the field. If he had come in and wowed the staff from day one,  the logical thought would be to have him compete with McCown to start the season,  deal Teddy B, keep Hack as the no 3, or stash him on the PS. 

Then again, maybe he is just that bad they needed to move on. Either way,  I don't blame any GM for taking a QB outside of the top 15-20 picks ,flawed as they may be, if they really don't have one. You're nowhere until you get one anyway.

He didn't want to stay here if you heard what he said before the trade. He obviously was irritated and felt held back.

Teddy B being traded without seeing the field is not realistic. He has no value right now. He'll slowly build it up the more leaks of positive reports, camps, preseason play and if he starts regular season. That's when we can get value.

Otherwise, he's getting us the same thing Hack got us.

I heard what Hack had to say, but those comments I believe came about on or near the day he was traded. Frustrated as he may have been,  he had to know that being traded so soon into his NFL career was going to impact his standing negatively.  He would have been better off if he could have stuck with the Jets and begin climbing out of the hole here before moving on.

Obviously, Bridgewater has to maintain his health into the Summer,  but teams that could be interested in him I bet are Cinci, Jax, NO. How about Dallas if Prescott struggles? I don't think the Jets will trade him this season though, unless they are blown away.

On 5/23/2018 at 5:59 AM, Harris Smith said:

Wild speculation on my part, but my guess is Darnold isn't going to be instant coffee, and the Jets are keeping Bridgewater for the year as the no 2 or maybe to start initially. 

It's not really wild speculation it's a smart assumption.  Very few 20 year old QB's come in right away and are great, most struggle year 1.  The rookies that do well are the Watson and Wilson types who have significant college experience and started 3-4 year in college.  This regime I think realizes McCown played his best last year and could barely keep us afloat.  They can't afford to start McCown again if Darnold isn't ready week 1.  They need Teddy just as much as he needed them.  There was no way they could afford to play McCown and have another bad year.  They need to show progress this year.  It's not playoffs or bust but they need to get closer to .500.

I don't get why people are so mad at McCown getting 10 mill. Most starting QB are still on there rookie contracts but to compare Jay Cutler got 10 mill last year and T. Taylor got 9.5 million. I think McCown is better than those two guys so he got what the market offers. 

10 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I don't get why people are so mad at McCown getting 10 mill. Most starting QB are still on there rookie contracts but to compare Jay Cutler got 10 mill last year and T. Taylor got 9.5 million. I think McCown is better than those two guys so he got what the market offers. 

was more mad that it was the first contract we signed this offseason and he basically had market for him at this stage of his career. that being said, its a one year deal, it'll be money we can spend next year, and we still have a comfortable cap situation. i like him as a mentor to darnold, but i really dont want to see him playing much or at all. its time to move forward. 

Archived