OTA's

raidr4life

Yes, it's early, but here's what the Raiders' first-team base 4-3 defense looked like in their first OTA practice - LDE Tank Carradine, LDT Maurice Hurst , RDT Justin Ellis, RDE Bruce Irvin; SLB Tahir Whitehead, MLB Derrick Johnson, WLB Emmanuel Lamur; LCB Rashaan Melvin, SS Karl Joseph, FS Reggie Nelson, RCB Gareon Conley.

It also seems like Obi may not even make the team unless he has a strong training camp and plays well in the preseason. 

For the most part we'll only have 2 LB and 5 DB's on the field with the 2 LB being Johnson and Whitehead and the 5 DB being Melvin, Conley, Gilchrist, Joseph, and Nelson/Obi.

43 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Even still, im worried that nelson finds his way on to the field much more than i would like. 

Thats because our Safeties arent very good.  I would like to sign Eric Reid to help, but probably unlikely.

2 hours ago, daineraider said:

Thats because our Safeties arent very good.  I would like to sign Eric Reid to help, but probably unlikely.

Reid is overrated around here. He's not that much better than what the Raiders have. Tre Boston would be an alright addition though. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Reid is overrated around here. He's not that much better than what the Raiders have. Tre Boston would be an alright addition though. 

He is younger and faster than Nelson and is average to above average, which is better than where we are at.  I’m more worried about secondary depth at this point, we don’t know how long Obi will be out and we don’t have many options behind Nelson and Joseph.

1 hour ago, roi34 said:

Nelson may be the slowest safety in the league. rather ever see the guy near or male a play.

Slowest, takes to many chances he can not recover from, and is fooled by the QB all the time.  I do not know if Obi is better at this point right now though.

I'm still hopeful that Obi will be able to play and make an impact this year. PFF was very high on him at UConn and said that he was the second best all-around safety in the 2017 draft. A previous scouting report from them. 

What he does best:

• Ideal size, athleticism and physicality to play man against tight ends at the next level.
  • Can cover a ton of ground in a flash and make it look easy because of his long stride.
  • Played a variety of alignments at UConn and will offer the same level of versatility in the NFL.
  • When he breaks down in space he is a solid open-field tackler who can wrap up and drive his man backward as well as adjust to quick cuts.
  • Excels at running at full speed to his target and either locating the ball at the catch point or playing his man’s hands as the ball arrives.
  • Closing, long speed uncommon for his size.
  • Gave up more than 60 receiving yards in a game just four times total in the past two seasons.
  • Held his own on multiple reps at cornerback during Senior Bowl practices.

Biggest concern:

• At times will attack the line of scrimmage out of control and overrun tackles.
  • Not consistently physical with blockers – gets tied up too easily considering his size and strength.
  • Can at times lose track of receivers through his zone by honing in too much on the QB.
  • Will get too aggressive with run fits and leave cutback lanes into open space.
  • 12 touchdowns against in three seasons, three in 2016.

10 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Conference call from reggie and gruden... enjoy

Man out fan base ask the dumbest questions. Mostly softballs and clichés. 

One interesting tid bit. Someone asked about Jospeh (32:00 mark) at FS. Gruden said they don't play a true FS in their defense. They play left and right. Joseph will be down on the LOS. 

Archived