OTA's

raidr4life

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Man out fan base ask the dumbest questions. Mostly softballs and clichés. 

One interesting tid bit. Someone asked about Jospeh (32:00 mark) at FS. Gruden said they don't play a true FS in their defense. They play left and right. Joseph will be down on the LOS. 

I'm also thinking they'll keep 4 backs... though one may not be on the roster quite yet.

16 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Man out fan base ask the dumbest questions. Mostly softballs and clichés. 

One interesting tid bit. Someone asked about Jospeh (32:00 mark) at FS. Gruden said they don't play a true FS in their defense. They play left and right. Joseph will be down on the LOS. 

Is that any different to what KJ played last year? Looked like he was LS and Nelson RS and depending on what the offense did, KJ would play FS or SS. Given that teams usually run to the right meant he played SS more often than not? 

2 hours ago, Dessie said:

Is that any different to what KJ played last year? Looked like he was LS and Nelson RS and depending on what the offense did, KJ would play FS or SS. Given that teams usually run to the right meant he played SS more often than not? 

I think we started the year with the Norton cover 1-3 and played more FS and SS, then as they shifted the defence and started to play more cover 2-4 and played more LS and RS.

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

I think we started the year with the Norton cover 1-3 and played more FS and SS, then as they shifted the defence and started to play more cover 2-4 and played more LS and RS.

Norton starting playing cover 2/2-high a lot more at the end of two seasons ago. Last season, cover 2/2-high was just as big a part of the defensive scheme as cover 3. I think a lot of it had to do with Sean Smith's dependence of help coverage over the top.

So far, Geunther's scheme in Oakland has been step for step what he ran in Cincinnati. I think when Mack comes back, he takes Irvin's place on the stating lineup and Carradine stays as the starting base RDE.

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

So far, Geunther's scheme in Oakland has been step for step what he ran in Cincinnati. I think when Mack comes back, he takes Irvin's place on the stating lineup and Carradine stays as the starting base RDE.

I'm still not sure about that man.

I get what you say and I totally get that the Bengals used bigger DE's under PG. But I think it is worth noting that Zimmer started to use smaller DE's after he left Lewis and Cincy...PG might change it up too...

Danielle Hunter is not a big DE at 252...he is longer then Irvin, but not a heavy, big DE like Dunlap or Johnson. 

I think Carradine and Edwards will rotate in with Irvin, especially on running downs, but I think Irvin will be our other starting DE.

12 minutes ago, Rolni said:

I get what you say and I totally get that the Bengals used bigger DE's under PG. But I think it is worth noting that Zimmer started to use smaller DE's after he left Lewis and Cincy...PG might change it up too...

Danielle Hunter is not a big DE at 252...he is longer then Irvin, but not a heavy, big DE like Dunlap or Johnson. 

I think Carradine and Edwards will rotate in with Irvin, especially on running downs, but I think Irvin will be our other starting DE.

Agree. To much is made about size. Dunlap and Johnson could play, that's why Cincy players bigger DE's. They are talented. PG is going to put his talented player in the best spots to impact the game.

7 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Norton starting playing cover 2/2-high a lot more at the end of two seasons ago. Last season, cover 2/2-high was just as big a part of the defensive scheme as cover 3. I think a lot of it had to do with Sean Smith's dependence of help coverage over the top.

Would it be fair to say you’re not Irvin’s biggest fan? I understood your stance that Irvin would perhaps be a better fit at LB than DE, but I think you’re pushing it if you’re suggesting Carradine is going to replace him. 

1 hour ago, reddevil said:

Would it be fair to say you’re not Irvin’s biggest fan? I understood your stance that Irvin would perhaps be a better fit at LB than DE, but I think you’re pushing it if you’re suggesting Carradine is going to replace him. 

Carradine isn't a better player than Irvin but for the role of strongside DE, he's a better option. I don't know where MEJ is playing right now but i'd guess the strongside DE spot in base is a TC battle between MEJ and Carradine. Irvin will still play more snaps at DE than whoever wins that spot since nickel is the most used formation. It's exactly like our 5th DB who will play more than our 3rd LB, even if he's not officially listed as a starter.

7 hours ago, Rolni said:

I don't think Geunther is going to depart much from what he did last year in Cincinnati. On base downs, he often would have both ends line up at the 4 tech outside shade. Irvin isn't a bad run defender -- he's was a better run defender than pass rusher on a down to down basis last season -- but he has been playing off the line in a 6 or 7 tech spot. If Geunther sticks to what he did in Cincinnati, then I suspect Carradine will see more base reps. It doesn't mean Irvin won't see more snaps, overall, though.

1 hour ago, reddevil said:

It would be fair to say I'm not Irvin's biggest fan -- as in I think he's an above average to good player -- but it wouldn't be fair to say I don't like him on the team. Gruden himself hinted at a changing role for Irvin that might include more situation work back in his introduction:

“I really think [Irvin is] playing a difficult position because he’s really an edge player,” Gruden said. “And when you ask him to play over the tight end or over the offensive tackle at his size, you can get beat up. But he’s still a very good pass-rusher. I think he plays with good effort. We just need to get him some help so he can do the things he does the best more often.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/270014/jon-gruden-sees-bruce-irvin-best-used-as-an-edge-rusher-with-raiders

I like the idea of keeping him fresh for pass rushing reps, similar to how the Bengals used Carl Lawson last year.

We all know that EJ Manuel is garbage, I watched him closely in Buffalo and he just doesn't have what it takes to be a productive QB in this league.  Do you see us keeping Hack and Cook, with Cook being the backup and we send EJ packing?  I would not be opposed to this move as both Hack and Cook are younger and have more upside.  The only advantage EJ has is starting experience but in his starts he has been terrible so I don't see the drawback of cutting him.  The media is making it sound like the battle is between Cook and Hack for the 3rd QB spot but I am not convinced that is actually the case.  

26 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

We all know that EJ Manuel is garbage, I watched him closely in Buffalo and he just doesn't have what it takes to be a productive QB in this league.  Do you see us keeping Hack and Cook, with Cook being the backup and we send EJ packing?  I would not be opposed to this move as both Hack and Cook are younger and have more upside.  The only advantage EJ has is starting experience but in his starts he has been terrible so I don't see the drawback of cutting him.  The media is making it sound like the battle is between Cook and Hack for the 3rd QB spot but I am not convinced that is actually the case.  

Ill have to go re watch the raven game, but i remember thinking EJ didnt lose that game for us.. i thought he actually played well for a backup?
we went down 14 really fast right, but he got us back in the game

2 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

He was decent in spot duty for Carr. He is a very viable #2.

Yeah I don't mind EJ as the backup. He looked ok in the games last year. Didn't lose us any games. 

I didn't like Cook coming out of MSU and he hasn't done anything to change my mind. 

Unless Cook and Hack show major improvements I think the backup spot is EJs.  

Archived