OTA's

raidr4life

19 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I just suggested the offense but @drfrey13decided to go full Negative Nancy ?

Seriously there's so many to discuss:

- Doug Martin possibly not being bad - No opinion until preseason at the earliest

- Mack's lack of a contract extension - Just a matter of when

- Gareon Conley apparently looking good and being healthy - Should be fine

- Jared Cook taking a subtle shot at the old staff - Not the first time I've heard something like this.  Seems like a normal thing when you have staff turnover though

- Coop, Nelson, Roberts all being hurt - Guess I need to look into this one. Anything serious?

Great article on Guenther's system and style.

https://theathletic.com/378775/?shared_by=333901

For those that don't subscribe. Sounds like Reggie Nelson is a key piece for him, but I loved the quote:

Guenther has heard how bad people think Nelson was last season. 

“Reggie played 99 percent of the snaps last year,” Guenther said. “We’re not going to have guys playing 99 percent of the snaps. ‘Your goal is to play in this package or that package.’”

Same with Karl Joseph, who will rotate with Nelson and Marcus Gilchrist at safety. A bit undersized, Joseph has not really stood out like one would hope a 2016 first-round pick would. Guenther liked him coming out of West Virginia, and is not concerned about what Joseph did or didn’t do under Del Rio and Norton. 

“We just want to get Karl to understand the details of how offenses attack and where the ball should be thrown based on the coverage,” Guenther said. “As well as the leverages of everything that he has to play with. We all know that he can come down and hit ya, so that shouldn’t be an issue in the run game.”

I mentioned that Joseph hasn’t really shown that advertised part of his game yet.

“Well, that was his strength in college and that’s the kind of player I hope he can become here,” Guenther said. 

While Guenther watched film of Joseph and all the players from last year, he immediately threw it out.

“I haven’t mentioned last year one time to these players,” he said. “I don’t know what they were told to do. I am just focused on teaching them and how they can best fit.”

On 5/31/2018 at 11:34 AM, Silver&Black88 said:

I just suggested the offense but @drfrey13decided to go full Negative Nancy ?

Seriously there's so many to discuss:

- Doug Martin possibly not being bad

- Mack's lack of a contract extension

- Gareon Conley apparently looking good and being healthy

- Jared Cook taking a subtle shot at the old staff

- Coop, Nelson, Roberts all being hurt

I missed the bolded part, what did he say?

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Great article on Guenther's system and style.

https://theathletic.com/378775/?shared_by=333901

For those that don't subscribe. Sounds like Reggie Nelson is a key piece for him, but I loved the quote:

Translation. I watch the film and could tell they was coached horribly by a guy who didnt play to their strengths and ask them to do things they should have never been doing. So we dont even discuss that crap from last year. 

On 5/31/2018 at 3:41 PM, SilverNBlackFan said:

I'll believe the hype when I see it with Doug Martin. Every RB should look good in OTAs, if you dont then there's a problem. He looked done last year

Yep I'm waiting until at least pre season too. All the articles I have read on him seem like they were written years ago and MJD's name was just deleted and Martin's was added

This is not my original idea but after reading someone else's ideas I believe that Parker will end up on the left and Miller on the right.  I hope the coaching staff is willing to give Parker a fair shot at winning the LT job and not force Miller there since he was the #1 pick.  Best five on the lie.

I'm not a fan of moving a raw, young guy from left to right and potentially back to left later on...

Find his place, leave him there and develope.

With that said he could be a RT in the future and if Parker can be the LT I'm totally fine with that.

In today's NFL you need two good OT's and especially against teams like Denver you need your RT to be mybe even better then the LT...

6 hours ago, Rolni said:

I'm not a fan of moving a raw, young guy from left to right and potentially back to left later on...

Find his place, leave him there and develope.

With that said he could be a RT in the future and if Parker can be the LT I'm totally fine with that.

In today's NFL you need two good OT's and especially against teams like Denver you need your RT to be mybe even better then the LT...

Based on skill sets of what they currently have shown to do well, Parker on the left and MIller on the right makes some sense. Miller is a strong run blocker, Parker the finesse type. Whether it works out that way remains to be seen, both could become high end starters or total busts on either side as of right now. And I doubt it'll fall out that way given draft status. A great scenario would be finding two good left tackles. Kind of a fantasy though.

I am in total agreement about not moving the guy, at all. But it's OTAs and hopefully they're just giving it a quick look. 

Archived