The Philadelphia Phillies Thread

mse326

3 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

I really don't get why Pete Mackanin ever bats Williams, Altherr or Herrerra outside the top 4 spots. Every night should be cesar at top and the 3 outfielders in some order behind him need to get your best players the most at bats. Pete is kind of dumb. 

He's not good, that's for sure.

Altherr, as the best hitter, should be batting second. Let Cesar lead off, throw Odubel third, and Williams fourth. After that, none of it matters, the only players that might last on the team are the catchers and Franco. Just bat Tommy 7th and Galvis 8th.

Also, the love for Galvis is getting out of hand. I'll be pretty mad if he blocks Crawford next season.

13 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

Altherr, as the best hitter, should be batting second. Let Cesar lead off, throw Odubel third, and Williams fourth. After that, none of it matters, the only players that might last on the team are the catchers and Franco. Just bat Tommy 7th and Galvis 8th.

Also, the love for Galvis is getting out of hand. I'll be pretty mad if he blocks Crawford next season.

yeah i dont get the galvis love fest. maybe trying to raise his value for a offseason trade? hopefully. 

7 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

yeah i dont get the galvis love fest. maybe trying to raise his value for a offseason trade? hopefully. 

He's not even the defender people make him out to be. He's a good one, don't get me wrong, but he's nowhere near guys like Andrelton. I'd love to have him as a utility infielder, but that's all that he is.

6 hours ago, utley4568 said:

I forget who we were playing like a week or two ago, but Pete batted Altherr like 7th because he had bad career stats against the guy. Although most/all of those stats were 2 years ago when he wasn't good.

I was willing to give Pete a chance but at this point I would be fine moving on from him. 

2 hours ago, mm6492 said:

I forget who we were playing like a week or two ago, but Pete batted Altherr like 7th because he had bad career stats against the guy. Although most/all of those stats were 2 years ago when he wasn't good.

I was willing to give Pete a chance but at this point I would be fine moving on from him. 

that was against Teheran and Altherr hit probably the longest home run of his career off him that night. Killed that ball. 

2 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

that was against Teheran and Altherr hit probably the longest home run of his career off him that night. Killed that ball. 

Yep. Pitcher vs. Batter statistics are generally stupid anyways. Unless you've both been in the league for 15+ years, playing in the same division your entire career, the sample is way too small to draw anything from it.

33 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

Yep. Pitcher vs. Batter statistics are generally stupid anyways. Unless you've both been in the league for 15+ years, playing in the same division your entire career, the sample is way too small to draw anything from it.

Agreed- and with the way our team is built, its not like we have anyone to replace him. I understand maybe moving some lefties/righties around when you have a loaded lineup to help with matchups. But that was a ridiculous move to slide him down like that.

On another note - which prospects do you see possibly making it out of camp next year?

2 hours ago, mm6492 said:

Agreed- and with the way our team is built, its not like we have anyone to replace him. I understand maybe moving some lefties/righties around when you have a loaded lineup to help with matchups. But that was a ridiculous move to slide him down like that.

On another note - which prospects do you see possibly making it out of camp next year?

Crawford, Kingery, and Hoskins are the obvious ones. I think Cozens and Quinn both have a shot. Quinn is strictly a health thing.

4 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

I honestly think Pivetta needs to be moved to the pen. I think he would actually be great in that role. 

Yep, stuff will play up in the pen and the walks won't matter as much.