The Philadelphia Phillies Thread

mse326

1 minute ago, utley4568 said:

I believe the rules are even stricter now, but I could be wrong. I think it comes down to not wanting to limit Sal. Hell, they got some more pool money in trades, and paid down guys contracts to get better prospects. Both moves a stingy front office doesn't make.

I am just saying with a guy like Sal you can go crazy one year get as many of the top kids as possible and still be fine the next couple years having him sift for gold with the leftovers.

2 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

I am just saying with a guy like Sal you can go crazy one year get as many of the top kids as possible and still be fine the next couple years having him sift for gold with the leftovers.

I get that, but there's also a chance that he just isn't as interested in the perceived top guys. I mean, we signed Ortiz when it cost big money, and signed a quality guy in Luis Garcia this year.

But even Moncada-level prospects are no sure thing, and usually aren't worth the money. For every Moncada there is always a Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez's, an Eddy Julio Martinez's and an Adeiny Hechaverria.

1 minute ago, ninjapirate said:

The phillies have money to burn just go big. All i ask. 

I'm with you, man. I just don't the international market is the place to do it. I'd love to see us eat contracts for prospects, like the Braves did for Touki Toussaint, but most GMs aren't as dumb as Dave Stewart was. I think we'll start to get what we want this offseason, then see it explode the following year. Could be heading toward adding two $30M per year guys. Still would like to see Darvish or Tanaka (if he opts out) added.

Just now, utley4568 said:

I'm with you, man. I just don't the international market is the place to do it. I'd love to see us eat contracts for prospects, like the Braves did for Touki Toussaint, but most GMs aren't as dumb as Dave Stewart was. I think we'll start to get what we want this offseason, then see it explode the following year. Could be heading toward adding two $30M per year guys. Still would like to see Darvish or Tanaka (if he opts out) added.

I really want Darvish feel like having him on board would help us for when Otani comes over. 

Just now, ninjapirate said:

I really want Darvish feel like having him on board would help us for when Otani comes over. 

I think it could too. Otani could come this offseason, which could really limit how much he'd make.

2 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

plus him batting lefty and our first basemen being a righty could give him some time platooning with rhys as well. 

Honestly I'd rather him just pitch. Don't wanna risk an arm like that.

Either way, starting pitching and bullpen will need some work this offseason. Maybe 3B as well. I'd like to see Cesar moved for more starting pitching

Just now, utley4568 said:

Honestly I'd rather him just pitch. Don't wanna risk an arm like that.

Either way, starting pitching and bullpen will need some work this offseason. Maybe 3B as well. I'd like to see Cesar moved for more starting pitching

honestly i think Pivetta and Vince will be good bullpen pieces so i dont think it will be that bad. 

1 minute ago, ninjapirate said:

honestly i think Pivetta and Vince will be good bullpen pieces so i dont think it will be that bad. 

True. Could also have another piece in Rios. Needless to say, the future of the team isn't nearly as gloomy as it was a month and a half ago when Crawford was struggling, Odubel and Nola were horrible, and Hernandez was hurt.

8 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

The Ortiz year leading up to the signing period there was all this talk of the phillies signing all these guys and then reality sets in and they dont even go over their pool. Screw matt klentak he's a loser. 

I'm still cranky they didn't go after Moncada in that signing period.

8 hours ago, utley4568 said:
8 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

I think it could too. Otani could come this offseason, which could really limit how much he'd make.

As much as I like to dream too I really just don't see a 2018 with Darvish and Otani in a Phillies uniform. Otani alone is a pipe dream for me.