The Philadelphia Phillies Thread

mse326

2 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

So with Altherr going on the DL again they've had Hoskins trying to play LF in the minors. They've also been giving Kingery starts at 3B.

How often does a position switch this late into player development actually work?

They won't be longterm switches. Just temporary to get Hoskins ABs. And Kingery hasn't started much at third.

11 hours ago, utley4568 said:

They won't be longterm switches. Just temporary to get Hoskins ABs. And Kingery hasn't started much at third.

I honestly dont get the playing rhys in Left Field thing. Tommy Joseph sucks he should just be DFA'd for rhys. He's a negative WAR right handed first basemen guy has no value and never will just cut him. 

16 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

Pete Mackanin is the absolute worst. Why in the hell is rupp playing all the time? You have the future catcher on the roster missing development time because the manager undeserving of his job isn't smart enough to play him every day. 

Hopefully he gets fired after this season.

15 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

I honestly dont get the playing rhys in Left Field thing. Tommy Joseph sucks he should just be DFA'd for rhys. He's a negative WAR right handed first basemen guy has no value and never will just cut him. 

Joseph is a below average bench bat. The fact that the team won't bench him for Hoskins is absolutely infuriating

But at least they're getting Hoskins ABs. His defense in LF won't matter as long as he doesn't magically forget how to play first.

Edited by utley4568

Just now, ninjapirate said:

Yeah I thought the phillies started using more sophisticated stats but somehow the 27th of 28 qualifying first basemen in Wrc+ has value? 

This feels like it's all Mackanin. No way is Klentak okay with this. None. I know you don't like him, but he's not dumb. I"m willing to bet he wants Alfaro and Hoskins in the lineup already. Also seems like Pete is the one that is obsessed with Galvis.

Just now, utley4568 said:

This feels like it's all Mackanin. No way is Klentak okay with this. None. I know you don't like him, but he's not dumb. I"m willing to bet he wants Alfaro and Hoskins in the lineup already. Also seems like Pete is the one that is obsessed with Galvis.

Klentak is the guy having hoskins play left field. I think it's safe to say Klentak might be dumb.

Just now, ninjapirate said:

Klentak is the guy having hoskins play left field. I think it's safe to say Klentak might be dumb.

I think that might be born out of Pete's refusal to bench Joseph. In the end, Mackanin has the final say over the lineup and there isn't a ton Klentak can do outside of fire him. Right now is not the time to fire him either. It needs to be done in the offseason.

1 minute ago, utley4568 said:

I think that might be born out of Pete's refusal to bench Joseph. In the end, Mackanin has the final say over the lineup and there isn't a ton Klentak can do outside of fire him. Right now is not the time to fire him either. It needs to be done in the offseason.

Klentak can DFA Tommy and promote Rhys. Pete has no say in that.