Chargers Hunter Henry tore ACL

49erurtaza

10 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Holy hell, at this point you have to wonder if the strength and conditioning staff is doing their job, or if the field/facilities management team is doing their job. This many injuries tells me someone needs to be fired.

Yeah I don't really know much about this topic but why does this happen? Sure I don't run much at all, but when I do, I never tear my ACL, so why does it seem to happen to a handful of random NFL players per year?

4 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I don't disagree with the bigger/stronger/faster theories, but there's usually some sort of catalyst to prompt an otherwise healthy ligament or tendon to give way. If someone is just blowing an ACL without either of the two things mentioned above, you have to start thinking incredibly abusive use of PEDs that led to such a strength to rigidity compromise (I'm talking horse steroids with a side of HGH kinda usage) or freak of nature that doesn't follow the laws of physics and biology (Bo Jackson blowing his hip because he generated enough torque to pop his femur out from his hip bone). 

There's mounting evidence that some of the oft-prescribed antibiotics like Cipro have a role in tendon rupture

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-03267-5

"In 2008, the FDA announced ‘black box’ warnings of tendon rupture among those given the fluoroquinolone antibiotics"

19 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Yeah I don't really know much about this topic but why does this happen? Sure I don't run much at all, but when I do, I never tear my ACL, so why does it seem to happen to a handful of random NFL players per year?

Here's my thoughts - I have some experience, as I've butchered my knees over the years (two ACLs, microfracture, torn patellar tendon...)

4 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Non contact injuries such as this are usually a misdiagnosed sprain/tear that was never treated correctly or healed correctly (Ryan Tannehill or Deshaun Watson, for example). If it was a healthy ligament that just exploded, it's usually due to some horrible field conditions (Wes Welker and Jadevion Clowney on the atrocious turf pallets that used to be at NRG). I'm also personally of the mindset that these DonJoy braces are too rigid and don't allow for organic strengthening of the muscles surrounding a damaged ligament - but it's anecdotal at best, don't take my word for it. 

I don't disagree with the bigger/stronger/faster theories, but there's usually some sort of catalyst to prompt an otherwise healthy ligament or tendon to give way. If someone is just blowing an ACL without either of the two things mentioned above, you have to start thinking incredibly abusive use of PEDs that led to such a strength to rigidity compromise (I'm talking horse steroids with a side of HGH kinda usage) or freak of nature that doesn't follow the laws of physics and biology (Bo Jackson blowing his hip because he generated enough torque to pop his femur out from his hip bone). 

I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty learned on the subject. :D

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

There's mounting evidence that some of the oft-prescribed antibiotics like Cipro have a role in tendon rupture

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-03267-5

"In 2008, the FDA announced ‘black box’ warnings of tendon rupture among those given the fluoroquinolone antibiotics"

Hadn't read this, thanks. Might do some digging into Cipro as an antibiotic.

Unfortunate. Very talented, potent player that just needed Gates to go away.

The silver lining in this is that due to this happening this early, he'll be back at the start of next year and LAC has ample time to plan his absence. They're also loaded at receiver.

14 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Holy hell, at this point you have to wonder if the strength and conditioning staff is doing their job, or if the field/facilities management team is doing their job. This many injuries tells me someone needs to be fired.

We just overhauled our strength and conditioning last year. And believe it or not, things were actually really good. We had relatively few major injuries last year. The problem is that the whole ACL injury is just going to be a reality in the NFL. At least for the time being. See bolded part of article below, though I recommend checking out the entire article.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/sd-sp-pfd-hunter-henry-acl-nfl-ota-0523-story.html

The reality is that limiting contact practice may reduce some injuries but will not reduce ACL tears.

The vast majority (70-80%) of ACL tears happen without direct contact, as was reportedly the case with Henry and Worrilow on Tuesday.

As players get bigger/faster/stronger, the ACL stays the same size. Without contact, there is a premium on speed, precision and tempo in practice. When a sharp cut is made and the foot sticks in the ground — much like a ski binding not releasing — the injury happens.

Unfortunately, given all this, ACL injuries are unpreventable.

Any sort of ACL prevention program, which can be effective to some extent for the untrained athlete and females, have not been proven effective in the NFL. And in the course of their regular workouts, NFL athletes already perform much of the muscle training included in such prevention programs.

Just to give perspective about the Chargers last year in terms of injuries (especially when Forrest Lamp went out with an ACL injury as well). It was much better than the previous three years under McCoy.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/chargers/la-sp-chargers-report-20171206-story.html

But whether it was changes in the offseason program implemented by new strength and conditioning coach John Lott, or whether the Chargers were simply due for some good luck, 2017 has been a different story.

The Chargers have suffered just four season-ending injuries since the start of the regular season, losing cornerback Jason Verrett, offensive lineman Chris Hairston, offensive lineman Matt Slauson and kicker Nick Novak.

The Chargers also lost rookie offensive lineman Forrest Lamp in training camp and middle linebacker Denzel Perryman, though Perryman's back on the field after ankle surgery.

In the cases of Verrett and Slauson, players like Trevor Williams, Desmond King and Dan Feeney have been able to fill in with little drop-off.

4 hours ago, Xenos said:

Just to give perspective about the Chargers last year in terms of injuries (especially when Forrest Lamp went out with an ACL injury as well). It was much better than the previous three years under McCoy.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/chargers/la-sp-chargers-report-20171206-story.html

I'm gonna invent an ACL strengthening surgery. Like a re-bar type of thing.

Archived