Chargers Hunter Henry tore ACL

49erurtaza

On 5/24/2018 at 6:19 AM, Shanedorf said:

There's mounting evidence that some of the oft-prescribed antibiotics like Cipro have a role in tendon rupture

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-03267-5

"In 2008, the FDA announced ‘black box’ warnings of tendon rupture among those given the fluoroquinolone antibiotics"

That class of antibiotics (fluoroquinolones) is typically associated with Achilles tendinitis and/or rupture - somewhere in the region of 90% of the time in what is a fairly uncommon, if notable, adverse effect.  I don't think its ever been linked to problems with ligaments

7 hours ago, drd23 said:

That class of antibiotics (fluoroquinolones) is typically associated with Achilles tendinitis and/or rupture - somewhere in the region of 90% of the time in what is a fairly uncommon, if notable, adverse effect.  I don't think its ever been linked to problems with ligaments

not a heck of  a lot of difference between ligaments and tendons from a tissue perspective. 

6 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

not a heck of  a lot of difference between ligaments and tendons from a tissue perspective. 

Other than the size, consistency, position within the body...

12 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I think what Kiwi is referring to is that the proposed mechanism of action with the fluoroquinolones is degradation of the Type I Collagen fibrils - and both ligaments and tendons have those same fibrils as part of their structure.

2 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

tissue perspective.

Not location, size, or position. 

Not elite reading texan. 

Which is why I said "consistency". A ligament is like a sheet of paper, very small and fragile. A tendon is like a piece of leather, thicker and denser. 

I kinda get where you're going with this, but it doesn't translate correctly. 

32 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Which is why I said "consistency". A ligament is like a sheet of paper, very small and fragile. A tendon is like a piece of leather, thicker and denser. 

I kinda get where you're going with this, but it doesn't translate correctly. 

If there was a pharmico reason for tendons to degrade with a medicine it could be assumed it would have a similar affect on tendons  as they are the same type of tissue. 

11 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

If there was a pharmico reason for tendons to degrade with a medicine it could be assumed it would have a similar affect on tendons  as they are the same type of tissue. 

It's a safe assumption, yes. Still an assumption, however.

Archived