LB trade?

Alex

When seeing this, you probably are thinking I'm talking about the recently released Kendricks, but I'm not. I think there is a bigger story than the release of Kendricks- here it is:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000933795/article/eagles-lb-paul-worrilow-suffers-torn-acl-during-otas

Worrilow is signed as a depth player for the Lions, was considered as a part-time starter (rotational LB) and he was going to see some legit playing time at the outside linebacker position (until he tore his ACL. 

Yes, AFTER the fact the Eagles released Mychal Kendricks (which baffles me even more) so what if we trade one of our LB to the Eagles? Here's what I'm proposing:

Eagles receive: Vince Williams

Steelers receive: 5th round pick

Why the Steelers and Eagles may go for it:

Steelers now wants Kendricks as their MACK LB and with Bostic being a versatile LB, Bostic could be moved to the Buck role as he will compete with Matakevich for the role. Having Kendricks would bring back the original blueprint that Keith Butler wanted with his defense. The Eagles currently have nobody to play the strongside (SAM) for them, at least not anybody good. Vince Williams would fit in that role really well as he has the physicality to bring in, I expect them to rotate Williams in and out with a nickel CB. 

Why the Steelers and Eagles may not go for it:

Making this trade means too much of turnover for our inside linebacker position, they would lose a really good pass-rushing inside linebacker and Kendricks may be asking for too much. The Eagles would instead, go look into the free agency and possibly sign some of the aged linebackers like Lawrence Timmons. 

If you were the GM, do you pick up the phone? 

What other prospects would you trade Vince Williams for?

Trading Vince Williams for late 5th round pick does nothing for us. He is a good depth player... He just shouldn't be starting. Even if we were to sign Kendricks, which I doubt, that wouldn't make Vince Williams expendable. Honestly, I think he is better than Bostic. 

8 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Trading Vince Williams for late 5th round pick does nothing for us. He is a good depth player... He just shouldn't be starting. Even if we were to sign Kendricks, which I doubt, that wouldn't make Vince Williams expendable. Honestly, I think he is better than Bostic. 

I'd put Bostic ahead of VW but not by a lot. Of course that's w/o seeing him in the Steelers' system. So who knows? However, as much as I despise VW as a starter I personally think he offers more then fan favorite "Dirty Red". Whom himself is an Ok depth player and admittedly an excellent STs player. 

19 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Agree- that being said, even with the fact I do like what Vince Williams has to offer, he's been the one who does the pass-rushing and the team asked Dupree to drop in the coverage. I think that's becoming an issue, as for the coverage-wise you should have Vince Williams to continues pass-rushing and do nothing else then leaving a player like Dupree not reaching his potentials or you can have Bostic in there (he's much better in coverage than Vince Williams and we all know it) and Dupree will see his value increase as he can produce. It's an issue of Butler trying to be more versatile and Vince Williams doesn't fit in the picture. Kendricks is actually a good buck LB (however, he is technically an athletic version of Vince Williams). 

I'm just toying with the idea, being a devil's advocate. We couldn't upgrade the LB position way we wanted to with Evans. 

10 hours ago, Chieferific said:

I'd put Bostic ahead of VW but not by a lot. Of course that's w/o seeing him in the Steelers' system. So who knows? However, as much as I despise VW as a starter I personally think he offers more then fan favorite "Dirty Red". Whom himself is an Ok depth player and admittedly an excellent STs player. 

Vince Williams and Dirty Red both are a different kind of players. Matakevich is a much better tackler and he's more cerebral for the Mike position. Vince Williams could pass rush because he had Shazier and when we lost Shazier, Vince Williams' pass rushing value went down as the quarterback can release the ball sooner. I do agree that Dirty Red is a decent depth and that's it, but so is Vince Williams. Yet we are debating who's starting and this shows you how bad the starting position is. I'm just hoping we do make a trade for a real linebacker. Not Kendricks. First, we gotta trade away a depth LB though.

Archived