Martin skips OTAs, signs 6 yr, $84MM, $40MM guaranteed extension

D82

4 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Per Todd Archer....

Zack Martin officially signed his seven-year, $93.41 million contract on Thursday. The deal includes a $20 million signing bonus and he is guaranteed $40 million for injury. Here is the breakdown: 2018 base salary - $2 million; 2019 - $10 million; 2020 - $11 million; 2021 - $11 million; 2022 - $11.841 million, 2023 - $13.5 million; 2024 - $13 million ($1 million roster bonus).

I wish we had put more money up front to help reduce the cap down the line when we have to pay Dak and Zeke.

18 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

I wish we had put more money up front to help reduce the cap down the line when we have to pay Dak and Zeke.

The thought for Zeke, for some people, was always to ride him for 5 years and dump him, because he's a running back.

I can see a bunch of franchise tags in Zekes future. Similar to Le'Veon Bell. The rookie salary cap really screws over RBs imo, as they come into the league in the prime of their craft. If I were a RB I would certainly raise this issue next time there was a chance to revise.

10 hours ago, DaBoys said:

The thought for Zeke, for some people, was always to ride him for 5 years and dump him, because he's a running back.

I can see a bunch of franchise tags in Zekes future. Similar to Le'Veon Bell. The rookie salary cap really screws over RBs imo, as they come into the league in the prime of their craft. If I were a RB I would certainly raise this issue next time there was a chance to revise.

That's how I would sign a RB. I like ZEKE but this line can make anyone( ex: McFadden ) into a 1000 yard RB.

I went ahead and plugged those numbers in OTC's cap calculator. If I did it right, we're still looking at $13.3M in cap space for this year, $49.2M next year, and $110M the year after. ~$50M is a nice number to start at, especially considering we can rollover what we don't use, which should bring it up to $60-$64M depending on moves we make throughout the year.

20 minutes ago, ware94 said:

Think it's time someone "phone home".

While I like the idea of adding an All-Pro like ET, I just don't think Dallas is going to pony up another $13m/yr. Also think Dallas really likes (rightfully so) Xavier Woods. Obviously, I'd be more than happy to add Thomas if push came to shove, just not sure Dallas feels the same. 

Personally, I'm much more concerned about WR/TE than safety. Emphasis on the latter. TB re-signing Cameron Brate never made any sense considering OJ Howard is sitting there. His new contract is a plus too. $7m cap hit this season and zero there after. Price tag on Brate would be considerably lower than Thomas. $ wise and pick wise.

Archived