New policy for the National Anthem

HDsportsfan

The league has released the details as it relates to how the league and team personnel will handle the national Anthem.

Basically all personnel must stand during the national Anthem. If you choose not to stand they may stay in the locker until the completion of the ANthem.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000933962/article/roger-goodells-statement-on-national-anthem-policy

I personally would like to see or make all stand for the Anthem. But I guess it's a reasonable compromise.

I don't understand why anyone cares. 99% of fans aren't standing at home, cameramen aren't standing at the stadium, and hundreds if not thousands of fans are wandering around the stadium during the anthem. Honestly, caring if they stand or not is the height of meaningless distractions. 

I just don't get the uproar. 

I know I am going to regret this, but ... *puts on opposing viewpoint hat*

Just now, JBURGE25 said:

Not gonna lie, I think this is the best solution the NFL could have come up with (for them, anyway)

So, the best solution the NFL could come up with is to sweep the protesters under the rug ... hide the protesters in the closet ... tell the protesters to stay in the locker room?

3 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Good compromise. Now can we finally move on? Lol.

Also in before this one gets locked up. 

Depends, my guess is that the first time someone reports on any player that chooses to be in the locker room it will be used as a silly distraction to make people forget about real issues just like those kneeling players were used. 

3 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Not gonna lie, I think this is the best solution the NFL could have come up with (for them, anyway)

Honestly would have preferred them to keep the teams in the locker room, but I suppose that never was going to happen to be honest. 

Football question now - with the new policy, what does this mean for Eric Reid? One of the things I thought I had heard about Reid's visit with Cincy was that they wanted a plan for the anthem protests and there wasn't one. Now that there is a mandated policy, does Reid get a real look, or did he completely blow any chance of playing against with his lawsuit? Or is not coming out for the anthem going to be seen in the same vain as kneeling when it comes to free agents and the like? 

4 minutes ago, youngosu said:

Depends, my guess is that the first time someone reports on any player that chooses to be in the locker room it will be used as a silly distraction players just like those kneeling were used. 

Yeah but as we've seen time and time again, without video evidence of those guys not participating in the anthem, theres a lot less for people to get mad about

Now what are they gonna do with the tens of thousands of drunk people in stadiums across the country who are taking selfies, peeing on themselves as the urinal, ordering a $12 Bud Light or still out tailgating when the anthem is being played? 

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

So, the best solution the NFL could come up with is to sweep the protesters under the rug ... hide the protesters in the closet ... tell the protesters to stay in the locker room?

If they are legitimately concerned about what the protesting is doing to their bottom line, I at least can understand it. I don't see why the players have to be out there at all for the anthem, any of them, to be perfectly honest. 

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

The actual best solution would be to not play the national anthem at sporting events. At the bare minimum, don't show it. But that would result in the NFL not taking advertising dollars, so it was never on the table.

This is probably going to Streisand Effect. Telling people they can't protest is the quickest way to make them protest.

Looking at that statement, is it me, or does it not seem like the NFLPA was part of that decision?

If that's the case, the NFL may have just done the worst thing possible (from a PR perspective): reopened the controversy when the NFLPA files a protest.

Archived