New policy for the National Anthem

HDsportsfan

4 minutes ago, Woz said:

Based on that policy, no, the NFL could not suspend them. It looks like the NFL can only levy fines on the franchise (point #4) and discipline league personnel (#6).

Now, their individual team might be able to suspend them once they create their own rules (point #5). But that gets to an even bigger problem when teams have different rules.

The only possible good thing that could come out of this for the NFL owners is that now the NFLPA has a new bargaining target for the CBA, which means they might not grab hold of something else or trade for something else. (no @youngosu, I don't think that even this is enough for 18 games, but that's something we take to the other thread).

I am under the impression that by "league personnel" they are including the players.  I don't see who else they could be referring to?  I don't think the owners are too worried about the outrage of a ball boy and official taking a knee.

2 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

This isn't a compromise in any way lol. The owners get everything they want and players can't even link arms or raise a fist without risking ramifications to their careers.

And the NFL knew this which is why they didn't consult the NFLPA.

It's patently disingenuous when they even have the gall to put down that the teams would be fined instead of the players. That is never, ever going to happen especially since individual teams get to set how they "punish" players for breaking the not rule.

Come on, I get that the average fan might not be the brightest bulb in the box, but just be honest and tell us and call this what it is. A blanket ban on any and all forms of protesting from NFL players during the broadcast.

If the NFL wanted this to go away they'd find sponsors that didn't require 10-15 minutes of jingoism before every game so they didn't have to show the anthem on the broadcast like what used to be standard. There, issue gone, bye bye issue.

No no no, instead of doing that, lets just make rash decisions that only inflame the player base, NFLPA, and a subset of fans more.

I've said for a while Goodell gets too much flak for some stuff but my god I am beginning to notice more and more how entirely awful at his job he is.

2 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

It's patently disingenuous when they even have the gall to put down that the teams would be fined instead of the players. That is never, ever going to happen especially since individual teams get to set how they "punish" players for breaking the not rule.

Come on, I get that the average fan might not be the brightest bulb in the box, but just be honest and tell us and call this what it is. A blanket ban on any and all forms of protesting from NFL players during the broadcast.

It also perversely incentivizes teams to one-up each fine. If Jerry Jones fines a Cowboy $25k for kneeling, the next instance someone else kneels the other owner is going to have to go at least that high, otherwise they're being soft.

The NFLPA is going to take this to the mat.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It also perversely incentivizes teams to one-up each fine. If Jerry Jones fines a Cowboy $25k for kneeling, the next instance someone else kneels the other owner is going to have to go at least that high, otherwise they're being soft.

The NFLPA is going to take this to the mat.

If they don't there's a very real chance it could lead to wholesale purging from the NFLPA and a labor stoppage.

9 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

This isn't a compromise in any way lol. The owners get everything they want and players can't even link arms or raise a fist without risking ramifications to their careers.

They are required to 1) "stand" and 2) "show respect"

Anybody who wants to make a fuss is going to toe that second line. Is raising your fist not showing respect? What if you don't raise your first but you also don't put your hand over your heart? If you just stand with your arms at the side is that respectful? What if you're slowly shaking your head during the whole anthem?

Never underestimate the NFL owners ability to be completely tone deaf in addressing an issue constructively.   They didn’t want to have to make any concessions to get what they wanted so they invoke this rule which only invites inconsistency of application through the league.    It’s no surprise the NFLPA will challenge any action that falls outside of what the CBA allowed pre-2018.   SMH. 

Wow really shows the owners really do care about the bottom line.

First they were behind the players, now they're not?

I think it's pretty clear they just want to get back to the game of football with high ratings and no drama.

They should have made this a rule immediately when Colin did it if they wanted to get rid of it fast.

I get it. It's a business decision. But this comes a year too late.

1 minute ago, cddolphin said:

They are required to 1) "stand" and 2) "show respect"

Anybody who wants to make a fuss is going to toe that second line. Is raising your fist not showing respect? What if you don't raise your first but you also don't put your hand over your heart? If you just stand with your arms at the side is that respectful? What if you're slowly shaking your head during the whole anthem?

Stand hand over your heart at attention or stand in the locker room (and if the whole team doesn't do it I can't imagine individuals will do it for very long for fear of reprisal from the league).

Archived