New policy for the National Anthem

HDsportsfan

Just now, Geek said:

It's not patriotism if you're forcing them to stand.

No it's business. When the army had to pay the NFL to display it's patriotism. I think it's pretty clear they are not. Them or the protesters.

Smart by the NFL. Other leagues have anthem policies (NBA). I personally don't care and agree with the players cause, but for a business trying to appeal to masses, allowing a protest of anything during the course of a show is not smart and a bad precedent. You are opening the door for protests that don't appeal to masses. Imagine the flaming there would be if there was a flag protest of a pro life player, or anti religion player...  Basically the NFL shouldn't have listened to twitter activists,

1 minute ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Stand hand over your heart at attention or stand in the locker room (and if the whole team doesn't do it I can't imagine individuals will do it for very long for fear of reprisal from the league).

Tremendous. They spent a collective 8 seconds thinking this through.

Remember that game you played in 6th grade about who can say "penis" the loudest? Time to bust that back out.

If I'm a smart-*** player with an axe to grind I push that limit every game.

I start by standing stoicly without my hands over my heart.

Next game I have a sneezing fit.

Then I come down with a rare case of "temporary cross-eyed-ness".

This is just opening a can of worms.

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Never underestimate the NFL owners ability to be completely tone deaf in addressing an issue constructively.   They didn’t want to have to make any concessions to get what they wanted so they invoke this rule which only invites inconsistency of application through the league.    It’s no surprise the NFLPA will challenge any action that falls outside of what the CBA allowed pre-2018.   SMH. 

This has been an issue since Goodell took over. Just a complete muck up always being 3 steps behind. This is the kind of rule that should have been put through immediately when they first got wind of what was going on with CK.

That's just it, the whole thing is vague as all hell, so it's off the cuff randomness that I'm assuming eventually guys are gonna get suspended for? Who fines who, what level is the base for the fine, at what point is it a suspension, are they allowed to still be at the game if suspended but in street clothes or in the stands ala Beast Mode?

That there's no clear line leaves this ripe to exploitation.

And all that was needed by the NFL is to make more than that one token half assed donation to a few random charities and this all goes away.

"We will be donating and helping with whatever causes our players see fit in order to bridge this gap and get back to playing football, we listened". 

Man the league office really is clueless.

1 minute ago, cddolphin said:

If I'm a smart-*** player with an axe to grind I push that limit every game.

I start by standing stoicly without my hands over my heart.

Next game I have a sneezing fit.

Then I come down with a rare case of "temporary cross-eyed-ness".

This is just opening a can of worms.

The owners are gonna win though. They started this by allowing showboats and personalities to begin with when they got rid of the suit and tie like approach to the game. I agree this may escalate things. H/e once they put a few in a guillotine it should typically die down.

The media will make a deal about it only until a more popular problem comes around.

Just now, CrashMan510 said:
"Cowboys COO Stephen Jones said NFL hasn’t worked out a specific fine schedule for the anthem policy. Asked what constitutes disrespect, said he believes you’ll know it when you see it."

Thats gonna end well

I can already see guys getting fined for stuff that's not even intentional and the broadcasts spending like 10 minutes of timee combing each sideline for literally any action at all that could be perceived as negative.

1 minute ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

And all that was needed by the NFL is to make more than that one token half assed donation to a few random charities and this all goes away.

"We will be donating and helping with whatever causes our players see fit in order to bridge this gap and get back to playing football, we listened". 

This problem wasn't going away.

They allowed the players "the voice". Instead of keeping everyone in line with an iron fist. If it's not the National Anthem it will be something else.

The owners are at fault for this without a doubt.

Standing on your head?

standing on one leg? 

Hell I would want to protest the change. 

Also forcing people to stand for the anthem is a stupid thing. It means you don’t actually lnow who is truly standing for the anthem.

2 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

They had to decide that not only was it important to try and control the players, but it was also important they explicitly don't support any of the pro-police accountability actions the players were interested in because that would upset the same people who were upset about this.

They rationalized themselves into an all or nothing dilemma between the fans and the players, then chose the fans.

Archived